It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK and the USA. Are we very similar or very different?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I'm from Canada and been to the states many times, from what I saw each state is rather unique almost like a different country to me.
When I went to the UK with my girlfriend and her family (they are originally from England) it was much, much different than the US and even Canada, I didn't do to many touristy stuff either I was right in the rural areas for the most part. Although I did go to Cardiff, London, and enidburgh, they to were different. Even the beer, it actually is warm!

I should also add. People in the UK love the combination of chicken and bacon, or chicken in the former of a mayo style salad.
edit on 26-6-2015 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I grant you I might be missing something. But as God is my witness nothing called spotted Dick will enter my mouth . Lol

Tell me what you find wrong with this American mainstay .

But in reality there is no difference between us . This thread could be written by someone in New York City about hillbillies or by someone in London about pikeys.

Minor cultural differences do not matter on the whole .

Burgers in the UK are awful. We have no way of understanding how to make them.

Either McDonalds or burned badly by a drunk man on on over hot BBQ with a can of crap beer.

I would love to have a real American burger just once and may travel just to do so.

Maybe you could come over here and have a real yorkshire pudding?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I grant you I might be missing something. But as God is my witness nothing called spotted Dick will enter my mouth . Lol

Tell me what you find wrong with this American mainstay .

But in reality there is no difference between us . This thread could be written by someone in New York City about hillbillies or by someone in London about pikeys.

Minor cultural differences do not matter on the whole .

Burgers in the UK are awful. We have no way of understanding how to make them.

Either McDonalds or burned badly by a drunk man on on over hot BBQ with a can of crap beer.

I would love to have a real American burger just once and may travel just to do so.

Maybe you could come over here and have a real yorkshire pudding?

I think you could order frozen white castles online ?

As for the video I watched it but I could only understand about every third or fourth word . Lol ( honest )

For subgrouping there is even a bigger stretch between language if you compare a southern drawl to UK English .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I guessed you may have struggled with the accent and that was kind of my point.

That was not even that broad an accent, remember that this guy was on television.

Do you have a youtube vid you could find of southern drawl for perspective?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
So as per the OP does anyone have anything that can bring us all together or shall we continue to look at the differences then?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Here you go step up grap a listen this video splaines it purty darn good.

I have honestly tried to use country euphemisms on this site. Every time members take it offensively because they don't understand the wisdom or dialect . It seems many people view that type of talk as either ignorant or offensive .

edit on 26-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Dead youtube link.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Also, if you want some "american" food come on over to my grandmas house we have some fresh collard greens, grown baked potatoes, probably some chicken and gravy, and some home made peach pie. maybe some other surprises.

and that's basically what the traditional British dinner is-cabbage,meat,veg spuds and gravy.
American thanks giving dinner is the British Christmas dinner.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

So as per the OP does anyone have anything that can bring us all together or shall we continue to look at the differences then?

If we don't stop the current US government . It might be a moot point because it looks to me like they plan on uniting the whole world . Translation " they want to liberate the hell out of everyone " .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach

Also, if you want some "american" food come on over to my grandmas house we have some fresh collard greens, grown baked potatoes, probably some chicken and gravy, and some home made peach pie. maybe some other surprises.

and that's basically what the traditional British dinner is-cabbage,meat,veg spuds and gravy.
American thanks giving dinner is the British Christmas dinner.

I think that collard greens are what we would call spring greens, potatoes are just that.

The main diffence I feel is that peach pie woud be a nice apple or rhubarb crumble...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

If we don't stop the current US government . It might be a moot point because it looks to me like they plan on uniting the whole world . Translation " they want to liberate the hell out of everyone " .

We are safe from there liberation for now, they have others that are higher on the list than us.

We allow it to happen as opposed to an outright invasion.

Also I think you will find it is spelled " Mute"

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Lol

Actually the point I was mute on . Is that it seems the UK in the USA are united in this effort . Look back at the past 100 years we almost always take each other's side .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

No, "mute" means "make silent".
"Moot point" is correct. It is the kind of point worth discussing at a "moot" (which is an assembly).

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Americans are far more hysterical of reporting the news. We don't really have a fox or msnbc partisan media.

Flags aren't that important to Brits. We are Less crazy, more reserved, less homophobic and less racist

Basically we're better in lots of ways

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Here you go step up grap a listen this video splaines it purty darn good.

I have honestly tried to use country euphemisms on this site. Every time members take it offensively because they don't understand the wisdom or dialect . It seems many people view that type of talk as either ignorant or offensive .

With no word of a I understood almost all of that other than the words they needed to explain.

I think that given the choice I would head off and live with these folks, they seem pretty laid back and once I convinced them I was not an outsider I hope we would get along pretty well.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Countryfolk are the nicest most giving folks I know of . They will go out of their way to make sure you feel welcome even as an outsider . But the one thing everyone must remember is just don't piss them off . Lol

Because they also have very long memories my great aunt till the day she died spit on the ground every time Lincoln's name was mentioned .

By the way it takes about 40 years to convince them you aren't a outsider .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

No, "mute" means "make silent".
"Moot point" is correct. It is the kind of point worth discussing at a "moot" (which is an assembly).

I appologise about that it was non relavant humour.

Another UK member was pulled up on getting the spelling wrong in another thread and for some reason I felt it needed to get it wrong as well and prove a point that no one would understand.

My bad but it is Friday night so will retract.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Of course we are more similar than different.

Vastly.

Beyond my ability to really expand on meaningfully.

yes, there are a few minor differences. But despite a very few differences that get amplified by online arguments, the similarities outnumber the differences on exponential magnitudes.

link   

No need to apologize. Maybe this is the point that can unite us, I realized the humor in your correction . I laughed and addressed it because I admire humor in any form .

link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Americans are far more hysterical of reporting the news. We don't really have a fox or msnbc partisan media.

Flags aren't that important to Brits. We are Less crazy, more reserved, less homophobic and less racist

Basically we're better in lots of ways

Apart from we have the BBC and get all exited when the Scots start showing there independance?

Less homophobic and racist maybe but still homophobic and racist...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join