It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK and the USA. Are we very similar or very different?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There was a time when I assumed that although somewhat different we were pretty similiar when we got down to it.

We speak the same language(ish), we share a common heratige(ish).

I really did think that the two nations were fundementally the same.

As time goes by I see more and more that the two nations are in fact very different indeed. I feel a little silly about this on reflection and would like to see if I can find some common ground if possible.

There seems to be two major differences(and many others but less so).

The right to "bear arms" and religion.

Also I find your food unusual to say the least.
edit on 26/6/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
One difference very relevant to discussion on these boards is that in the UK, anyone who feels hostile to government automatically gravitates towards the left-wing in politics.
The American phenomenon of the "anti-government conservative" is one that we don't understand at all.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
We don't really have a cuisine. ..but I'd say the same for america really( you didn't invent putting cheese on meat) We are completely different. Our prime minister does not need to believe in god. We don't feel the need to have god bless our country alone. Our police aren't power crazy (corrupt of course, but not killing more than 2 civilians a day). We don't have brainwashing propoganda in our media in terms of our freedoms constantly under threat ( yes muslims, immigrants and benefits) but not fear mongering.

We are completely different and over the last few years I've realised we have it so much better, apart from the weather.

The future is looking bleak for america. God speed

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
We don't really have a cuisine. ..but I'd say the same for america really( you didn't invent putting cheese on meat) We are completely different. Our prime minister does not need to believe in god. We don't feel the need to have god bless our country alone. Our police aren't power crazy (corrupt of course, but not killing more than 2 civilians a day). We don't have brainwashing propoganda in our media in terms of our freedoms constantly under threat ( yes muslims, immigrants and benefits) but not fear mongering.

We are completely different and over the last few years I've realised we have it so much better, apart from the weather.

The future is looking bleak for america. God speed

Thanks for your input but I live in Swindon so your damn right we invented not just putting cheese on stuff but the very thing that became American cheese.

How about looking for somethings that makes us the same though as opposed to the differences

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

How do you even know what our food is exactly? I have an Italian, thai, hippie, Mexican, greek, and numerous other shops of all different foods. I guess fast food is "american" which I avoid unless very drunk.

Also, comparing a country of 300+ million compared to the UK's 64 million is quite the task. We are similar in a lot of ways and very very different on purpose.

You can't claim that we are all very different on religion since we have separation of church and state. Well... maybe the free masons. Yes, we have very deeply religious people in the USA I don't think we have any right to shut them up since they are human and entitled to an opinion. That doesn't make us different that make both our countries human.

I'm a gun owner and won't address woes about the 2nd amendment, its a useless debate. I will legally own a gun until told otherwise. I had a background check and was registered, I'm a law abiding citizen
edit on 26-6-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I am not surprised.
I find your food to be quite usual. Bland comes close, but I would rather eat bland food than British food.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

How do you even know what our food is exactly? I have an Italian, thai, hippie, Mexican, greek, and numerous other shops of all different foods. I guess fast food is "american" which I avoid unless very drunk.

Also, comparing a country of 300+ million compared to the UK's 64 million is quite the task. We are similar in a lot of ways and very very different on purpose.

You can't claim that we are all very different on religion since we have separation of church. Well... maybe the free masons. Yes, we have very deeply religious people in the USA I don't think we have any right to shut them up since they are human and entitled to an opinion. That doesn't make us different that make both our countries human.

I'm a gun owner and won't address woes about the 2nd amendment, its a useless debate. I will legally own a gun until told otherwise. I had a background check and was registered, I'm a law abiding citizen

I have watched every single episosode of drive in's, dinnner's and dives. Your food culture is simply odd.

Your religious nuts are more extreme than ours.

Your need to carry guns is alien to me.

I am joking here but as the OP stated we are more different than I once thought and was looking to find some common similarities between our cultures.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I am not surprised.
I find your food to be quite usual. Bland comes close, but I would rather eat bland food than British food.

Standard English food is very poor in my opinion but we have some little gems.

British English Indian food is very good though.

Also We have Worstester sauce and it is quite piquant.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

We speak the same language(ish), we share a common heratige(ish).

On language I bid to differ(ish).

WARNING!!!! Eight second clip with a F bomb on the end .

I am in full agreement with you on this . Myself I could just never bring myself to eat something called ........

Good thread S&F's , I was just having a little fun with it hope you don't mind .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

In 2011, a UK member did a thread.
I bolded his claims, my replies were underneath.

All in good fun.

"Last year during an American vs. Britain thread Muckster pointed out several things. "

His were numbered, my reply to the point is beneath. Seemed appropriate for this thread as well.
*cheers*

1) We speak English.

We speak 'Merican.

2) We can have a conversation at normal audio levels without interspersing it with "HELL YEAH" "ALRIGHT" and "USA,USA" etc...

Federal law. We have to do that.

3) We don’t do silly high fives; we simply shake hands like grown ups.

We invented the fist-bump with the splayed fingers.

4) We do not believe what our government tells us.

Our government says you're lying.

5) We are educated.

I don't need triggernometry. I already know how to shoot.

6) Our homes don’t have wheels.

Then how can you do NASCAR?

7) The Banjo is banned under common decency laws.

Your loss. (hee-yuk)

8) Although marrying cousins is legal it is not widely accepted.

We aren't french for gods sake!

9) We don’t have to have our national flag on everything we own.

Then how do you know what nationality you are?

10) We know the meaning of the word “Humble”.

We know the word. We're the BEST at it!

11) We realise that there are other countries in the world.

More Americas? Not likely.

12) We can “walk” to our shops (Remember that one America?? Walking??)

We walk to our cars. Actally, I have a scooter for that.

13) Our Queen (God bless her) is actually the ruler of the entire world, unlike Obama who just runs America!.

Obama is a King! (didn't get the memo?)

14) When you look into our eyes you see the sane, calm and tranquil look of a pedigree... Not the cross-eyed, insane, and slightly angry look of a mongrel.

*scratching a flea* Huh?

15) We drink Tea.

Is that a brand of coffee?

16) We know which fork is for starters.

Trick question. You don't use a fork for starters. You use a wrench.

17) We know which spoon is for desert.

Silly brits. Why use spoon for beer?

18) If we ever lost a War we would never make a thousand movies about it so that we could collectively wallow in self-pity

USA, USA, USA, USA,. . . . what was the question?

19) When we win wars we have a dignified parade which involves the crowd quietly waving flags and clapping politely.

We have quiet dignified parades. Then we invade countries and blow stuff up.

20) We invented Comedy Sarcasm and Irony

We invented fart jokes.

21) We are the only country in the world that does actually LOVE America and Americans

Awwww, big hugs, puddin'.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I think after hundreds of years of immigration and the spread of different cultures of all shades, We are very different.

Also, if you want some "american" food come on over to my grandmas house we have some fresh collard greens, grown baked potatoes, probably some chicken and gravy, and some home made peach pie. maybe some other surprises.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here is a difference which expresses a similarity.
Fondness for rituals.
The British interest in traditional rituals is well-known, and watched with fascination or mockery according to taste.
The internet shows me that Americans may not have the traditional rituals, but they have compensated for that by creating rituals out of all sorts of activities which in Europe would be treated more informally; cheering at sports, Proms, Halloween, Homecoming, "baby showers".
And graduating. Europeans invented the ceremony to mark the end of a university course. Just the once, normally. How many graduation ceremonies has an American student been through by the time he finishes?
It seems that we share a common passion, expressed through different outlets.

edit on 26-6-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I think alot of people take the stereo types the see about the USA they see on TV and think they know our "culture"

The USA is a melting pot of so many different cultures, made up cultures, and mixed cultures If you think you know what the USA is about you can go to a different town 30 mins away and meet completely different people with a completely different type of thinking.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Three words: Declaration of Independence

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I think alot of people take the stereo types the see about the USA they see on TV and think they know our "culture"

The USA is a melting pot of so many different cultures, made up cultures, and mixed cultures If you think you know what the USA is about you can go to a different town 30 mins away and meet completely different people with a completely different type of thinking.

The same could be said of Europe. Practically anywhere. China even.

But stereo types are fun, they are easy, and sometimes they are even quite correct.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 5thNovember

It was a tough break up letter but I'm glad we could still be close friends

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

None taken, I did not start this to find divisivness but a common aim.

Bullet tooth tony speaks the Queens english, your attempt is just mumbling in a vauge manner.

Although I am not a fan of "spotted Dick" have you tried it? With custard on a cold winters evening it is bliss.

I renounce your take on food as I read that some of you like something called Grits? that's what we put on the road when it's icy but hey you guys eat what you want for breakfast, we have cocopops...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5thNovember

Three words: Declaration of Independence

Three letters.

NHS.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

The same could be said for the UK.

Maybe that could be the first similarity we have eh?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I grant you I might be missing something. But as God is my witness nothing called spotted Dick will enter my mouth . Lol

Tell me what you find wrong with this American mainstay .

But in reality there is no difference between us . This thread could be written by someone in New York City about hillbillies or by someone in London about pikeys.

Minor cultural differences do not matter on the whole .
edit on 26-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join