It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 81
<< 78  79  80    82  83  84 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Who said opinions are not allowed?

i think more and more people are speaking out against Intolerance and Hateful comments. you have the right to say it and think it, you have the right to your opinion, but more people are speaking out against Hate. that is not making opinions banned, that is saying the world needs to be more Tolerant, and Tolerance is not "forcing" someone to do anything

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Darth: Who said opinions are not allowed?

I did.

Darth: i think more and more people are speaking out against Intolerance and Hateful comments. you have the right to say it and think it, you have the right to your opinion, but more people are speaking out against Hate. that is not making opinions banned, that is saying the world needs to be more Tolerant, and Tolerance is not "forcing" someone to do anything

Do you realize there is trend in Universities now; that notable lecturers will not go anymore because of the trend of PC among the students (jeering). This is new.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Ok, so it's your opinion that Opinions are not allowed, but not fact

are you talking about Jerry Seinfeld?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Ok, so it's your opinion that Opinions are not allowed, but not fact

are you talking about Jerry Seinfeld?

Just an obvious figurehead. Comedians will soon ALL be out of work. This kind of PC thinking creates organized factions such as ISIS.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

This is exactly what we have been saying, we are viewed as Second Class.

www.lgbtqnation.com...

“Words do matter,” said Niki Zupanic of the American Civil Liberties Union of Montana. “Even though the ban can’t be enforced any longer, keeping them on the books is sending the message that gay and lesbian citizens are second class.”

In this 'politically correct' world everyone could be viewed as 'second class citizens' (whatever you do; do not voice an objective opinion) as OPINIONS are no longer allowed.

Opinions are not only allowed but welcomed it's the hatemongers that aren't wanted.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

You can't Equate Political Correctness with ISIS... well i mean i guess you can, but...

Here, for Devils Advocate.

time.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

You can't Equate Political Correctness with ISIS... well i mean i guess you can, but...

Here, for Devils Advocate.

time.com...

Radical idea forms come out of PC. Someone at some point says "you are not allowed to express that opinion"; and if you do your faith or belief system becomes an arrest warrant.
edit on 4-7-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

someone can say that if they wanted i guess, but it would have to be enforced..

I've never been about Word Police, but i can't understand the lack of tolerance of people. Words are offensive and can be offensive and at times meant to be offensive, and i think there is more and more people speaking up about hateful words and comments, doesn't mean someone isn't allowed to say them but i think more people are understanding that you don't have to use hateful words and they will call you out on it

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Let's be honest with ourselves:

There is an element in both the right and left political wings (remember when they were on the same Eagle? *sigh*) in this country that has taken the concepts of political correctness to absolute ludicrous depths.

Yes, we should all be aware of how things we say affect the people around us.

No, we shouldn't say hurtful things just because we can.

On the other hand ...

People do have responsibility for their own reactions. Some of the crap I've seen about "trigger warnings" has just gotten absolutely, tee-totally #nutz.

I've been an openly gay man for about 30 years. In that time, and even before, I have been called every "hurtful" name associated with that social stereotype.

I've also been called a racist for no good reason, because I was administering the policies of my company.

I was called an atheist for years before I was one.

I've been called dumb, stupid, etc.

It's all situational. I don't think kids should be bullied in school by any means, but I also don't think I would be the same person I am today if I hadn't learned how to take those names and that anger and hatred and put it in its place.

Our organizations ... school systems, the legal structure, etc. really can't and shouldn't try to defend every citizen from every bad thing.

On the other hand, there is a limit to all things, and no one, anywhere should be tortured with no way out. Teasing is one thing; bullying is another.

Workers shouldn't be abused in the workplace, for example: there should be clear limits on what employers can do and say. No, we can't legislate respect, and I've had bum employees too.

The word I keep thinking of here is balance; we've just lost all sense of balance it seems.

We've all become one-winged Eagles ... and all we do is fly in circles.
edit on 21Sat, 04 Jul 2015 21:13:10 -050015p092015766 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling little corretions

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I understand, what i can't understand is the lack of tolerance all around...

noun
the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

Tolerance is not "Forcing" someone to agree with you or "Policing Words" it's basically being a good enough person to be tolerate which far too many people lack

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I agree with you. I know (first-hand) that words can hurt. I'm suggesting that we remember that pain is part of life. Sometimes, dealing with it, dealing with the fact that people don't automatically like us, and sometimes, actively dislike us, strengthens us as individuals.

I've never really been found of the word "tolerance." To me, that indicates that I have a choice in the matter, that in some way I chose "to allow" others to be as they are ... whether that regards their race, sex, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, age, shoe size, hair color or what have you.

My ideal for relating between folks is more positive. Cooperation, cohabitation, mutual appreciation. Maybe we all have different strengths that we can use to better ourselves, our society, our species, etc.

Toleration says to me that, I really don't like you, but I'm going to hold back and repress my natural reactions based on some external measure (societal mores) ... I don't think that mere "tolerance" moves us ahead very far.

We should be allowed to confront each other's differences, learn to accept those differences, and move on.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

True, i guess tolerance is being tolerant of intolerance..

i get pain is a way of life, and i understand that all the years i suffered is what helped shape me as a person, but at the same time i would love to not have endured that pain. and know i have much more ahead..

i guess i just cant comprehend people who are purposely hateful to people, like it doesn't make sense in my brain and it drives me crazy thinking about it

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   

True, i guess tolerance is being tolerant of intolerance..

i get pain is a way of life, and i understand that all the years i suffered is what helped shape me as a person, but at the same time i would love to not have endured that pain. and know i have much more ahead..

i guess i just cant comprehend people who are purposely hateful to people, like it doesn't make sense in my brain and it drives me crazy thinking about it

Life is hopefully not all painful. Hopefully there's more good than bad. What you've been through has forged a caring heart, and that is becoming ever more rare in the world. I'm sorry you went through that.

The only thing I think we can do is to confront hatefulness whenever we can, but we also have to protect ourselves. Best of luck to you DP!

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

And also with you

I agree, i have hope that compassion and Love will win

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Darth_Prime
Gryphon
MonkeyFishFrog
JadeStar

ALL of you, I want you to know how delightful the past two pages of reading your chat has been.

You all are just a hoot, and I'm so very happy for ALL of you.
(I mean about the glitter kits and free admission and all - NOT the suffering. I think the suffering is appalling, and I admire your grace. You all show a lot of grace, and class, consistently. Well done, you are tremendous young people, and Gryphon is a fantastic mentor, from what I know of him.)

edit on 7/5/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Darth_Prime
Gryphon
MonkeyFishFrog
JadeStar

ALL of you, I want you to know how delightful the past two pages of reading your chat has been.

You all are just a hoot, and I'm so very happy for ALL of you.

You're a peach, Buzzy ... and that's from an authentic Gawga boy.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

thanks Gorgeous!

We always need people like you

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Another step

www.lgbtqnation.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
And maybe one back

www.theguardian.com...

www.denverpost.com...

Just grasping at straws now

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

And maybe one back

www.theguardian.com...

www.denverpost.com...

Just grasping at straws now

Santorum is such a tool. He and Jindal make my skin crawl.

Anyway, the real momentum is going in the right direction.

I think Prop8 was a good learning lesson. There was complacently, many believed CA was a done deal.

edit on 5-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 78  79  80    82  83  84 >>

join