It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Syyth007

That wasn't what I was asking...

Amazingly, I actually knew those stats... Some friends of mine were quoting them to me a few months back!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

Sorry, misunderstood your question - at the moment, the only states that will allow gay marriage will allow gay divorce - there are cases in florida and texas that challenge this, but they are still on going, and the scotus ruling hasn't had time to demonstrate anything about gay divorce yet.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yeah yeah...

And the law is, supposedly, now going to be blind as to who is getting married as well, but we all know there will be issues.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Actually that's not true. There was a state that didn't allow gay marriage but did allow gay divorce. I read about it recently actually. Like within the last few weeks I think. I remember thinking how strange yet expected it was that they didn't allow gays to marry but somehow it was legal to give them a divorce. If you don't legally recognize their marriage how can you legally give them a divorce??? A divorce from what exactly???

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
a reply to: Gryphon66

I thought my question was pretty clear as to what I was asking?

Can states that opposed gay marriage make an "end run" and refuse to deal with gay divorce?

The answer is probably yes,
if, as some states are threatening (see links in a prior post)
they decide to opt out of the marriage "business"
that is they have the right to decide not to issue marriage licenses to anyone at all (which is nondiscriminatory)
then they probably can say, if we do not issue marriage licenses
we are not obligated to negotiate divorces
we are no longer in the marriage "business"
and have decided to opt out of making all marriages legal and making all divorces legal.
If the state decides that they won't do divorces for anyone, then that is nondiscriminatory, and yes I believe that is a state's right.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Thanks for the info!

I raised the question specifically because of an article I read a few years back, where a couple moved to a state that did not recognize their marriage, and simply treated it as a "roommate" issue.

Child custody issues were raised and subsequently ignored.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

Here it is. It was in Texas. Apparently it was a bit of a mix up and a technicality or loophole kind of thing that happened. Not sure if they fixed it or not yet.

Texas Recognizes Same-Sex Divorce

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fromabove
a reply to: [post=19502294]Gryphon66[/

The result is that now a father and daughter will petition the Court for rights.

A man and his animal will want rights as well.

Three, four, and perhaps ten people marriages will be the next petition.

Perhaps old people marrying infants will be demanded if the little girl can want it.

You can not honestly believe that? It's really worrying that you can't understand the difference between a consenting relationship between 2 adults and pedophilia, incest and bestiality. 2 are clearly illegal acts carried out things that can not possibly consent. A child or and animal cannot give its informed consent to the relationship. The reason incest is illegal is because of the genetic ramifications.

Honestly it always scares me just a little how often this argument comes up.

As for the marrying more than once, as long as it's consenting and everyone's happy. Why do you deem it wrong like?
edit on 27-6-2015 by Megatronus because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2015 by Megatronus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Megatronus

originally posted by: Fromabove
a reply to: [post=19502294]Gryphon66[/

The result is that now a father and daughter will petition the Court for rights.

A man and his animal will want rights as well.

Three, four, and perhaps ten people marriages will be the next petition.

Perhaps old people marrying infants will be demanded if the little girl can want it.

You can not honestly believe that? It's really worrying that you can't understand the difference between a consenting relationship between 2 adults and pedophilia, incest and bestiality. 2 are clearly illegal acts carried out things that can not possibly consent. A child or and animal cannot give its informed consent to the relationship. The reason incest is illegal is because of the genetic ramifications.

Honestly it always scares me just a little how often this argument comes up.

As for the marrying more than once, as long as it's consenting and everyone's happy. Why do you deem it wrong like?

These are invariably the same people who blame floods, earthquakes, and hurricanes on gay people so...

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Yes Marry your Animals, your kids.. so now you can be called the "Deviant" and "Mental Illness"

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
Yes Marry your Animals, your kids.. so now you can be called the "Deviant" and "Mental Illness"

And this time the accusations will actually be correct and true.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Exactly, they talk about so much they must really be praying it's true

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog

This is a popular position today..."Your God is not like my god!"

Crafting a god to suit your image is one way to deal with unrepentant sin, and many go that route.

Yes, I'm pretty sure we're talking about two different entities here. The God I'm talking about made me - just like I am. Gay. But also a sinner - just like everyone else. But luckily He forgives my sins through Jesus. Now, the Entity you are talking about wants to damn my soul to hell for all eternity because HE made me GAY...? "I'm going to make Gemwolf gay, and then I'm going to send him to hell for that. Bwhahaha!
Your God isn't very fair - I didn't even stand a chance...
Luckily I'm a Child of a merciful God, so I sleep like a baby at night knowing that my soul is saved.

Fortunately, Jesus gave the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven to Peter, and established his Church upon him, and not 30someoddthousand particular interpretations of who God 'ought to be.'

Well, you are pretty convinced that your interpretation of God is true. And so am I convinced of my religious convictions. I can't wait until we get to the pearly gates so we can clear up the confusion. I'm really looking forward to the part where you'll have to explain to God how you said I'm damned to hell, and that I shouldn't be "let in"...

The greatest tragedy of the outcome of the faux marriage movement will be the loss of souls to Hell.

Your opinion is welcome and respected. However, seeing that more people can now get married with "God as a witness" I'm thinking the opposite is true. With less people "living in sin" there ought to be more saved souls.*

*Please note the sarcasm. If you think that marriage makes the difference between going to heaven or hell you are clearly misguided. But I'm wasting my time and energy trying to give you a different perspective. No-one will ever change your mind, and you will continue living a life believing that everyone will be going to hell except for you because you are right and everyone else is wrong. Even if they are "Christians" - they aren't real Christians. Not like you. Well, best of luck with that. I know the status of my heart and my soul, and that is between me and my God.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

In some countries people can marry animals. And incest - well, in most countries marriages with your niece of nephew are accepted, in some Islamic countries even expected. In Israel incest between adults (>21 y) is not a crime. See this interesting Wikipedia article.

As long as the concept of 'free will' is not hurt - which includes "mutual consent" - I'm all for freedom with regard to (sexual) relations. I don't mind if you want to live with 3 guys (and you're a guy yourself) - including having sex - if it makes all of you happy, why not? Incest - well, if it is with true mutual consent and between grown ups - I don't mind either. The problem there is of course that it is difficult to determine "free will", as it is in the many forms of sexual relation that REQUIRE a (voluntary) hierarchical relation (sadism, masochism).

What about sex with animals then? Well, people SLAUGHTER pigs, horses and cows; if we are confident that that is the proper way to deal with animals, we might just as well screw them literally! How does one determine "mutual consent" and "free will" here..
edit on 28-6-2015 by ForteanOrg because: he wrote 'soon' but that should have read 'long'

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

I believe you should indeed not loose a moments sleep over being loved and being in love, Gemwolf

Seamrog, I believe you are a coward. This because you refuse to admit that your opionion is just that - your personal opinion. Please note that you are totally entitled to an opinion, as I am and all of us here are. It is your right to feel that the State was wrong in deciding that gay marriage is Lawful - likewise, a murderer may feel he did the right thing by killing his cheating spouse. But if humans trap him doing so, he will be judged - by humans. Not by God, the One does not judge.

Say it out loud, then: "I, Seamrog, feel that gay people should not be allowed to marry" - that's fine with me. But don't saddle your opinion on God's horse, please.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gemwolf

The God I'm talking about made me - just like I am. Gay. But also a sinner - just like everyone else. But luckily He forgives my sins through Jesus.

Let's look at it this way - we can both agree that we were created as sinful beings by God.

Following your logic, because God made me a sinner, my sin must be good, and therefore I'm going to continue in it, be proud of it, revel in it, and demand everyone else acknowledge and welcome it as a common good.

I hope you can see how that is a destructive mentality - for you personally, and for our common society.

Understanding that you will claim "loving who I love is not bad - it is how God created me," I must point out that there is CLEAR biblical evidence of how God sees homosexual behavior, and there is CLEAR evidence that marriage between one man and woman has been Church tradition for thousands of years.

For any reasonable and rational student of the Church, it is without question that homosexual behavior is gravely sinful.

Though it is ignored repeatedly, I have repeated here many times that the sin of gay sex is no more offensive than the sins 'straight' men and women commit - Phil Robertson got famous repeating some of them. When you and I stand before God, and I'm glad that you believe you will, God will not move you to the head of the line because your sins were 'gay.'

With less people "living in sin" there ought to be more saved souls.*

Sarcasm noted, this is exactly my point. God is being made in man's image today.

If you think that marriage makes the difference between going to heaven or hell you are clearly misguided. But I'm wasting my time and energy trying to give you a different perspective. No-one will ever change your mind, and you will continue living a life believing that everyone will be going to hell except for you because you are right and everyone else is wrong. Even if they are "Christians" - they aren't real Christians. Not like you. Well, best of luck with that. I know the status of my heart and my soul, and that is between me and my God.

Vitriol noted, I have never made the judgement that any man is going to Hell, and I have not claimed the same for you.
I truly hope that you do not, just as I hope that I do not.

It is popular and accepted here to label Christians as 'hateful bigots.' It is practically sport, but it is not the case.

You are my brother, and I love you. I love you enough to have concern for your eternal soul. While we both understand and acknowledge that we are sinners, I am trying to repent of mine, and you appear to be celebrating yours.

That is alarming to me. Perhaps I am wrong, and your confidence in your reward is well placed - wonderful if so - truly - but the teachings of Jesus Christ and his Church do not agree with your assessment.

Jesus is all loving, and all forgiving and all welcoming - so long as we turn from sin and repent, and seek his forgiveness.

Peace to you.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

Seamrog, I believe you are a coward. This because you refuse to admit that your opionion is just that - your personal opinion.

Funny, I thought the personal attacks were not to be tolerated anymore here?

To correct you, I am not stating my personal opinion.

What I repeat here is the Roman Catholic position.

The Church has Christ-given authority, she exercises it, and we are expected to believe it, follow it and share it.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog
What I repeat here is the Roman Catholic position.

The Church has Christ-given authority, she exercises it, and we are expected to believe it, follow it and share it.

I was born raised and confirmed as a Catholic.

The problem with Christianity VS being gay is that it sets us up to fail. I'd be a regular at church if it weren't for the fact I am expected to live a miserable life of self hatred and celibacy because of something that is not my own fault.

Christianity has painted itself into a corner it can't get out of with this issue. It HAS to uphold what the bible says, or it's central scriptures will start to be questioned by everyone.

Common sense on the other hand says that gay marriage harms nobody. Why after all should I be sorry for something that God allowed to happen to me and why should I have to live a life of loneliness and self hatred because a dusty old book says so? We were taught in Sunday school that only one sin was unforgivable and it was not Gay marriage.
edit on 28-6-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
Say it out loud, then: "I, Seamrog, feel that gay people should not be allowed to marry" - that's fine with me. But don't saddle your opinion on God's horse, please.

Preach!!

Regardless WHERE one's opinions originate, they are just personal opinions.

And for some news on "The smartest man in the room", Ted Cruz...

“There’s no right in society to force a Jewish rabbi to perform a Christian wedding ceremony,” Cruz told the paper. “There’s no right in society to force a Muslim imam to perform a Jewish wedding ceremony.”
Source

Yes, Ted, that is correct. And that has not changed ONE BIT. No clergy person has EVER been forced to marry someone they disapproved of and nothing about this law has changed that at all. This law deals with the LEGAL aspect of marriage and that is all.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Boy cake bakers throughout all of Christendom have had a busy and rough last 72 hours.

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join