It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
clashdaily.com...#
‘WE WILL NOT STAND BACK': Black Pastors Vow Civil Disobedience In Gay Marriage Ruling

There's nothing for them to disobey. They are not being asked to marry gay people. They simply don't understand that religion and state are not the same...

Exactly. People that grow up in that "world" have their religion to use as a state/government. If you perform a "transgression" you are hung up to dry in front of the congregation. It's their own form of internal punishment. Churches and religions have their own laws.

Laws are ... laws, right? I mean aren't all laws given by God?

This is how the religious right see the world. ALL laws are the laws of God because the most directly-impacting ones start at home and in the church. This is where they learn what a law is. It only makes sense to these people that the government itself is divinely inspired to follow their God's laws as well.

I remember being in Baptist church and being told by the pastor that Abraham Lincoln was a prophet of God. These people sometimes mix up political figures into their religious dogma to justify them injecting religion into politics.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If poster referred to me, neither is correct. your strawman was marriage between a man and a woman which fits tradition and does not bastardize the authors meaning of the 14th amendment.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Also, we've done this before with the interracial marriage bans. The Supreme Court overturned them, and JUST like now, all the conservatives whined and complained how this was destroying their religion and destroying the country. Well that happened two generations ago and we are all still here.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
a reply to: Kali74
They are doing the same damage to Christanity as ISIS is to Islam!

This is a natural response when a group of people with the same idology feel threatened. They radicalize. The more the far-right Christian community feels threatened, the more crazy they will sound and become. They're simply scared of something they've been told will ruin their lives.

Give it 10 years and have them read what they write today. I wonder if they'd still stand by what they said...

link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
Actually straight people reading this do the same! I don't want to see your love-life in public areas either...

Then close your eyes. Because it is my freedom to hold my husband's hand and kiss him in public. I've been doing it for 24 years and I'm not going to stop because you don't want to see it. Look away.

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Sad day. SCOTUS got it wrong...AGAIN!!!!

0-2 in as many days.

However, religious freedom is the real goal of the militant gay agenda.

Watch what happens next. Christians get ready.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Well said
)

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
Actually straight people reading this do the same! I don't want to see your love-life in public areas either...

Then close your eyes. Because it is my freedom to hold my husband's hand and kiss him in public. I've been doing it for 24 years and I'm not going to stop because you don't want to see it. Look away.
That's fine, just refrain from straight up dryhumping him and we're on the same page. XD

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Also, we've done this before with the interracial marriage bans. The Supreme Court overturned them, and JUST like now, all the conservatives whined and complained how this was destroying their religion and destroying the country. Well that happened two generations ago and we are all still here.

Amen on that.

We're going to hear a lot of bitching and moaning over this, but in 50 years seeing a gay couple at Bed Bath & Beyond filling out a wedding registry won't seem unusual at all. It'll be like seeing an interracial couple at the movies. No big deal.

One more thing to those mourning their perceived loss today:

If your beliefs are so easily shaken by the actions of others -- maybe you might want to re-examine how strong your faith in your religion truly is.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

If poster referred to me, neither is correct. your strawman was marriage between a man and a woman which fits tradition and does not bastardize the authors meaning of the 14th amendment.

Nope my argument is right in line with this reasoning. There is no "traditional marriage". There is only marriage and however your particular religion or the state defines it.

Loving v. Virginia

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967),[1] is a landmark civil rights decision of the United States Supreme Court, which invalidated laws prohibiting interracial marriage.

Get Déjà Vu Listening to Opponents of Interracial Marriage Argue at the Supreme Court

Argument: The state has a rational basis in keeping (interracial/gay) couples from getting married.

Argument: The framers of the 14th Amendment never expected it to protect (interracial/gay) couples.

Argument: The children of (interracial/gay) couples are disadvantaged because of their parents.

I've seen some of those very arguments in this thread. You can't argue with history, no matter how much you want to try.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Sometimes things just happen!

link   

And in 50 years, I wonder if Christianity will still exist. Or, will those that hold those beliefs be deemed racist.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Get a room ya damn exhibitionist!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

None of us can remember what marriage was about before it became a STATE requirement for certain legal rights.

link   

Because some thought they were special and loved looking down on gay folk thinking ha they can't get married.
Now they can and they are all butt hurt about it.

link   

originally posted by: Freenrgy2

And in 50 years, I wonder if Christianity will still exist. Or, will those that hold those beliefs be deemed racist.
Unless your interpretation of Christianity includes blatant racism, I don't think anyone would be making those claims.

You can be christian without being racist.

Just as easily as you can be atheist and a huge race bigot.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: kitzik
But I think with time going forward there will be more "natural lesbians" since it is still 90% nurture and 10% nature behavior. As a result there will be probably less normal pairs and probably statistically less kids.

WHAT???

link   
a reply to: Freenrgy2

If allowing gay people to get married causes Christians to flee the church....

Darth Vader has a message for them:

link   

Why should we limit our Pride Parades, when they support the Stonewall Riots and other Political activism that started, and now they also support the pride of people under the GLBTQ Umbrella and those not under that Umbrella that celebrate with us.. asking for us to limit them is wrong

Why not support LGBT stuff? why not if you support it? there are still many steps towards True Equality, i posted a ling to them earlier

Just because we get recognized as Equal in marriage doesn't mean we need to limit ourselves as there is more to go

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
That's fine, just refrain from straight up dryhumping him and we're on the same page. XD

We've got a deal. (I think that's already against the law.)

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join