It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

I know, and that was my fear.. but they can't shame us or we can't be fear being ourselves in public.. i wear something rainbow everyday because i'm proud.. and today or tomorrow will be no different.. we can't hide now.. i just hope that people can put violence aside

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

You mean like a Christian baker can refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding? Oh wait...

Texas Attorney General and Governor Response

At least here in Texas, this whole issue is definitely not going to go away quietly. (By the way as a Constitutional Libertarian I could care less who gets married based on whatever religion they please, with whatever they call their union - as I think the Government has NO place in a contract between two private people, although the de facto federalism that makes the idea of "marriage rights" relevant is for a whole nother thread).

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Maybe pack some pepper spray next time you venture out with your rainbows.

I'd hate to see someone get hurt because some idiotic bigot thinks they can beat someone because they're unhappy with a SCOTUS decision.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
a reply to: Greathouse

You're really full of yourself aren't you!

I'm not loosing any argument, I asked you to clarify two points which you did and it still makes no sense to me why your introduced Islam into this thread?

And I abundantly clarified both points at which time you took a different direction instead of responding to them . The easiest way to see the effectiveness of my post is that I am now engaged in debate with four different people out of their frustration they all star each other's post to appear correct.

Everyone you took the contention I was against gay marriage you were wrong in your assumptions . So when they found that out they switched to different points of argument. Because of their inability to admit that one part of their premise could be incorrect . And you call me full of myself????

I have conceded several points . Yet unanimously with everyone I have debated not one person has moved 1 inch from their position . When they cannot concede any point of their argument they merely move the goalpost and address it from a different angle .

If you think that is constructive debating have at it.

Oh yeah and ..........

Potato

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

It may happen and it may happen not, I live in a Southern Baptist church strong hold, my small town have more churches and restaurants that you could count, but is also incredible impartial to entrepreneurs gay couples, and encourage them to set businesses here, is been considered a safe haven for gays, what that tells you, sometimes is just the few the ones that wants to create the hate.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Great news! Thanks for posting this.

It's about damn time! Now Wisconsin will catch up with the 21st century.

link   

originally posted by: SonOfThor
a reply to: Kali74

You mean like a Christian baker can refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding? Oh wait...

Texas Attorney General and Governor Response

At least here in Texas, this whole issue is definitely not going to go away quietly. (By the way as a Constitutional Libertarian I could care less who gets married based on whatever religion they please, with whatever they call their union - as I think the Government has NO place in a contract between two private people, although the de facto federalism that makes the idea of "marriage rights" relevant is for a whole nother thread).

If the baker serves the public, they cannot legally discriminate on who they offer their services to or not.

But that is a topic for a different thread.

link   

I agree - at least this morning bomb threats (turned out all clear) were called in to some federal and court buildings near me in Ft. Worth, TX. Not saying it is linked at all - haven't seen that, but I hope everyone stays safe and that peace from religious zealots prevails...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero
a reply to: Stormdancer777

wait...are you saying in a roundabout way we should not continue to fight domestic violence?

LOL what?

Le Sigh

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I can only hope more forward, species-positive progress will happen in my lifetime.

Me too.

I've lived through a few. Ready for more progression.

It goes to show you, despite what conservatives will have you think, how much the US of A has progressed in under a decade. Election of a black president (twice!), universal health care, and now legalization of same-sex marriage. You'd expect each of those landmarks to come a decade apart, not all in the same one. Truly extraordinary. I'm glad I was here to witness it all.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

See that is my point, what makes a Church different? Can a church legally discriminate, if they are also serving the public?

And if it is because of their non-profit status, what if a non-profit / charity bakery declined to bake the cake?

I'm not disagreeing with the freedom of people to marry whomever, just pointing out that there are a LOT of issues arising out of this decision.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

The simple fact we have to have the supreme court tell us how to act like adults and to be civil to one another tells me we still have some growing up to do as a society.

Its disingenuous for the US to think of itself as the bastion of freedom when we still tolerate second class citizens in our own society while at the same time demonstrating now societal change can occur all at once.

At least scotus got this ruling right, unlike there scotuscare embarrassment.

edit on 26-6-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

link   

I agree - at least this morning bomb threats (turned out all clear) were called in to some federal and court buildings near me in Ft. Worth, TX. Not saying it is linked at all - haven't seen that, but I hope everyone stays safe and that peace from religious zealots prevails...

Don't bet on it.... some on the right are already calling for a violent revolution!! Bomb threats are just the beginning!!

link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

He just make a preaching speech for the benefit of his religious base citizens, but he can not stop the state from issuing marriage licenses.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

See that is my point, what makes a Church different? Can a church legally discriminate, if they are also serving the public?

And if it is because of their non-profit status, what if a non-profit / charity bakery declined to bake the cake?

I'm not disagreeing with the freedom of people to marry whomever, just pointing out that there are a LOT of issues arising out of this decision.

According to U.S. Law, a church is a private organization that does not serve the public. As such, it has the right to deny services to anyone, and reject membership to anyone, and are legally protected in doing so.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The Supreme court had not choice but to take the issue into their hands as congress just pushed to them, so the ruling is bound to stay, still we will see what is going to happen with the states and how they will proceed, as they still have rights.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

(I'm still not comfortable with them pulling the flag from historic reality-based video games, but that's another thread lol)

link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: SonOfThor

He just make a preaching speech for the benefit of his religious base citizens, but he can not stop the state from issuing marriage licenses.

Why can't the politicians get this pissed over real issues, like national debt, school funding etc..

link   

I say better yet, get a concealed handgun license to protect yourself if someone threatens your life.

Either way stay safe, and for those that are now able to legally wed that weren't before, enjoy the spousal fights / makeups, "marriage penalty tax", and possibility of expensive / exhausting divorce

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I've been attacked numerous times before this decision was made.. it's nothing new. i just hope there are not mass shootings and killings

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join