It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

It has nothing to do with the Church. They can object all they want that's their right, they can refuse to marry gay couples that is also their right. What they can't do is stop gays from getting marriage licenses or getting married by the state or anyone willing to perform the ceremony and they can't stop a state from legally recognizing any marriage.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: Kali74

Sadly the words of Justice Scalia after the ruling shows that is more to come, to the issue of same sex marriage.

The states can not deny same sex marriage licenses but the issue of church is another matter.

Religion will be the exception because of belief. Now that the government has to marry all people I don't think it will be as big of an issue as we think.

link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Ya they do have the right to do it, and people have the right to criticize it...
Which is what people did about the drawings, voiced their opinion.
Just like you don't think people should degraded the flag.

What does that have to do with gay marriage?

No one got arrested for the draw mo contest, so how does that show the appeasement?
That was your point right, that this ruling goes against the islamification of the States.

link   

Gay marriage is offensive to some religious people.
Drawing Mohammad is offensive to some religious people.

Gay marriage is legal.
Drawing Mohammad is legal.

Some people say gay marriage is bad and wrong.
Some people say drawing Mohammad is bad and wrong.

What was your point again?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I could see a 14th amendment challenge to recognizing gay marriage. Full faith and credit is defined by congress. Whats to say all people can get married but only the state they are married in has to recognize it?

edit on 26-6-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You still have many years in your life to experience more changes and I hope its gong to be for the better, I hope along your path something will happen as in a personal experience that will change your views of life as well, when this happen is always for the better.

I been around since the moon landing so I have lived quite a while, some forward some backwards but more forward than backwards that is for sure.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Already conservative political candidates and elected officials are calling for what is delicately described as a quiet revolution. Saying "Stand up and refuse to marry gay people, I don't care what the Supreme Court said!"

Though, I firmly believe after a few months, maybe years, the debate will finally die down to the point where it's universally accepted for most people. There was a huge outcry after the court ruled in favor of inter-racial marriage as well, but here we are in 2015 and we're still kicking right along.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I can only hope more forward, species-positive progress will happen in my lifetime.

Me too.

I've lived through a few. Ready for more progression.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I agree, hopefully it will not be made into an issue, licenses is where the law resides and the base for the benefits that comes with unions and what most same sex advocates were trying to achieve.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

To clarify... the church cannot stop a state from recognizing a marriage.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The conservatives don't even realize they are violating the constitution by forcing everyone to abide by their personal religious beliefs, a violation of the 1st amendment against the state creating a national religion, which they have done in this argument.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

You're really full of yourself aren't you!

I'm not loosing any argument, I asked you to clarify two points which you did and it still makes no sense to me why you introduced Islam into this thread?

edit on 26.6.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Hopefully congress will not challenge as they can not change the Supreme court rulings but can amend the law. they are not going to try, but I see perhaps a challenge coming from the religious rights, that will go nowhere.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Though, I firmly believe after a few months, maybe years, the debate will finally die down to the point where it's universally accepted for most people. There was a huge outcry after the court ruled in favor of inter-racial marriage as well, but here we are in 2015 and we're still kicking right along.

completely agree..

People scream about the destruction of society.. until they find some new destruction to cry havoc about.

link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The conservatives don't even realize they are violating the constitution by forcing everyone to abide by their personal religious beliefs, a violation of the 1st amendment against the state creating a national religion, which they have done in this argument.

Spot on, but I reckon they don't care, and are willfully violating it. It would stand to reason that those who constantly point the finger accusing others of violating the 1st & other amendments are actually the most prevalent violators. Kind of like he who smelt it dealt it, but regarding the amendments, not gas.
edit on 6/26/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/26/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: marg6043

A constitutional amendment can overrule the supreme court.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Bryan Fischer

From a moral standpoint, 6/26 is now our 9/11

www.rightwingwatch.org...

Humanity..

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen Many have probably already seen this one, but for those who haven't...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Yes, that is correct, but because congress let this go all the way to the supreme court it tells that they would not do it, no congress wants to amend the constitution when is not needed.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
caution to gay couples....this is not meant as a threat, I'm happy for you that the court did this, but there might be some backlash in the form of public name-calling, fistfights, or worse....wariness and discretion might be needed for a time to let this settle in. there are some very angry people out there. if one of our SCOTUS judges (Scalia) can talk so vehemently about this decision, there might be people that will want to "get even" , "show you whose boss", or "enforce god's commands"

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join