It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: jimmyx

I agree, jimmyx, but is one thing to refer to the god of men and the god of haven, one is humanly manufactured with the same flaws as humans, the other have no flaws and judge no one, humans judge humans.

maybe we should call religious belief the "theory of god"....it would seem to be a more appropriate explanation.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I believe that you just got the point, the more you think of a God that is nothing but determinate to punish his creation the more you understand that is man made.

We are all the same, as human we our egoistic self assigns a hierarchy to our humanity, we learn in our limited minds that some are better than others, that is not such thing as equality, it does serve a purpose, to learn from mistakes.

But at the end, that's when we all realized that it was just an illusion, once the ego is gone we are no different, we can only experience love and we belong to the same source of all knowledge and we are as enlightened as that source.

Every time I try to explain this is hard, because my limited mind can not find the right words to describe it.

Is not that we do horrible things to each other, but rather that we chose to do such things in this life. Remember as humans we have free will.

edit on 26-6-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Quickly while we are still celebrating, lets remember those that fought before, those that lost their lives fighting, and those of us that continue to fight for Equality and love for Everyone

The anniversary for Stonewall will be in two days, and many more before and after it

link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I expected NO agreement to be honest, just civil discourse where in the most part that's what I got, sadly you are not one of them.
You have a nice day.

link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Your a great person then!

What's it got to do with today's verdict on equal marriage rights though?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

maybe you can spread that sunshine in the middle east

GUNMEN KILL 28 IN ATTACK ON TUNISIAN RESORT...
BEHEADING, EXPLOSION AT U.S.-OWNED FACTORY IN FRANCE...
Head hung on fence...
Covered with Arabic writing...
Islamist flag raised...
Israel urges Jews to flee...
Extremists Celebrate 'Holiday'...
Caliphate Anniversary...
ISIS CLAIMS BLAST AT MOSQUE IN KUWAIT'S CAPITAL...

Isis Expansion Along U.S. Borders, this isn't in France either
edit on 123030p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Just heard and I'm chuffed to bits for you all
Good on the members of ats who fought for equality.
Well chuffed

link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: marg6043

I just have this feeling I can't quite put my finger on or describe -- it's as if a sunrise or something is coming over our species, a new "daybreak" so-to speak. We are finally starting to mature as a species, we are shedding old belief systems that no longer serve any rational purpose.

I hope you are right! I don't feel it however. The conservative Right will use this ruling as a battle cry to continue to spread division and hate. It's already started....

www.advocate.com...

Politically it's liable to blow up in their face. But they won't care....because ideology, and fundamentalist dogma will trump common sense every time.

edit on 26-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   
I'm sensing some people might be partially angry with the decision.

Maybe the anti-religious groups are upset the Court didn't make the 14th apply to Religions and Churches?

Hmmm.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Finally so happy this country can move on from this issue. Can't claim to be a free country and refuse to marry a certain group of people. Hopefully we can start tackling other issues and reduce the amount of complaining noise. This should have happened a long time ago

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Maybe the anti-religious groups are upset the Court didn't make the 14th apply to Religions and Churches?

Hmmm.

That makes no sense at all? Please explain?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

You know France is in Europe and not the Middle East?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

originally posted by: xuenchen

Hmmm.

That makes no sense at all? Please explain?

I'm sure there will be topics and comment pretty soon

it's just a feeling

we saw many explosive comments on older threads about that

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Sadly, I won't live to see the fall of religion.

Man used to worship the Sun, then he "got smart" and began to worship Jesus. Maybe eventually our rational minds will take over and we'll realize how silly our squirrely need to "worship" something is.

It'll take TIME. As each successive generation dies off, a bit more tolerance and understanding grows. In 100-200 years I doubt many people in America or Europe will still cling to primitive religious practices to explain their world -- because, that's really one of the most important parts of religion, to explain the world.

We know now how the sun creates light, we know what light is. There isn't some being in the "heavens" that turns a switch on and off. There isn't a being crying to create rain. We have a firmer grasp on our material world around us.

As the decades pass, we slowly will crawl from the crib and begin to stand. We are maturing as a species and it's painful. It's hard to raise yourself off your knees as a toddler. Those first few steps are very hard! Soon we'll be stumbling around on two shaky, weak legs.

I hope those legs lead us into a new frontier.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
a reply to: Stormdancer777

You know France is in Europe and not the Middle East?

yes i know that

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

The Christian Bible says "thou shalt not steal". So unless you object to that being the law, you don't object to Christian dogma being the law.

Oh boy!

First of all, it's the Jewish Bible what says that, not the Christian Bible. And the same "God" that said "Do not steal" said that "his people" should go and steal land, livestock, orchards and groves of trees, women, gold, and whatever else that they see that they want. Go figure!?

Secondly, The Ten Commandments have little to nothing to do with Christian Dogma. I'm not a Christian, but I'm pretty sure Christian doctrine and dogma have to do with "Be thee NOT Judgy", but "Love thy neighbor, forgive thy neighbor, Do unto others..." and stuff like that.

edit on 26-6-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Battleline

I'm not sure what part of my response wasn't civil. I stated facts.

You said-

a reply to: raedar
My original response was to someone commenting , can't we get past the religious aspect of this now that gay marriage is legal and me commenting that nature might have problem with it.

I was born a lesbian and I can't think of anything more "of nature" than birth.

I wish you the best and mean you no disrespect. I ask the same in return and now the law is on our side!
edit on 26-6-2015 by raedar because: edit to add quote

link   
a reply to: flammadraco

I've given that answer a few times through the thread I will attempt to do it one more time. I think a little more outside the box than most people . ( lateral thinking ) While I approve of the decision on gay marriage I pointed out the hypocrisy of many protesters .

The reason given to vilify some peoples choice in exercising their freedom of speech ( drawing Mohammed ) was . That it offended Muslims .

Yet gay marriage is offensive to Islam . I did not see anyone voice that opinion on this issue .

The point is our rights are under attack and the reasoning many protesters use is hypocritical or convenient to one position but inconvenient to another so it is not brought up .

And it seems because I support that the people should exercise all rights whether I approve or disapprove of of them . I seem to be stuck in a position where I am constantly attacked by both sides for my position and honesty .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

It's quite simple Greathouse, Human Rights should supercede Relgious Rights any day of the week.

Despite what some folk say, people are born gay, those who say differently are Bisexual and made the choice to have an opposite sex partner.

People are not born relgious, most of the time your relgion is imposed on you by your parents having you Christened or baptised.

Relgion is a choice - being gay is not! So your argument about Islam is moot!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Another point...

These people that are offended by gay marriage are usually the ones that are vehemently anti-government.

If they want to live off-grid in a cabin where no one tells them what to do anyway, why do they care if two men or two women get married? It's not like they want anything to do with society anyway. It isn't like they'll be interacting with gay people.
edit on 26-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join