It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News agendas, they're controlling your mind and you don't even know it.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JeanPaul

You're ignoring the actual historical cases where young democracies were crushed by the USG.

Not sure why you think that's relevant. We have enough examples of democracies that have thriven and endured, and it is from these that we learn how democracies evolve. Those which did not succeed, whatever the reasons for their failure, produce no data on this subject.

But hey, don't let me ruin your plastic brand of "pragmatism"

Why plastic? Why the quotes round 'pragmatism'? What have I said that is false or misrepresented?

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I agree with you. I think most people on here would agree with you. Most on here think the other side, the people who disagree with them, are brainwashed and manipulated. The problem comes from the fact that they only think the other side is having their thoughts, opinions, reactions, and emotions, manipulated. They fail to see the same thing happening to themselves. That is why we see such a big divide between Left and Right in America.

The whole phenomenon is actually quite fascinating. We all know it is happening. But we all think it only happens to them, not us. We perform all kinds of mental gymnastics in our minds to justify this. We point out how the others are being played but ignore how we are being played.

To see this in action in a small way. Just go into any political thread on ATS and watch the sides form. Then watch both sides use the exact same tactics to try to win the argument. Both sides will then complain about and point out the tactics the other side is using. Without realizing that they are using the same exact tactics. If a third party comes and points out the fact that both sides are doing the same thing. Both sides will just ignore them.

That is manipulation of the highest order. Manipulation as an art form. Everyone is being manipulated. Everyone knows that everyone else is being manipulated. They can see it happening. They know how it is done to others. But no one believes they are being manipulated. No one believes it can be done to them. Just everybody else.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I agree completely.

TPsychopathsTB are just toying with us. Black man kills white cop.Scripted outrage. White cop kills Black people. Scripted outrage again but in reverse. They are playing with us. They select the news and carefully drops a few crumbs here and there for the "wired in" sheeple to get emotionally outraged. Then redirect that emotional outrage to support changing policy(like troops on the streets,TSA, checkpoints on the roads, 24/7 surveillance,data logging of personal habits/history etc).

Next there will be gas chambers and concentration camps for "social extremists".

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

That wot you is describin is a meritocracy, innit?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

At least if we don't apply the most common definition.

The equivalent Aristotelian conception of meritocracy is based upon aristocratic or oligarchical structures

en.wikipedia.org...

An appropriate description imo.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

But let's quote the whole sentence, shall we?

The equivalent Aristotelian conception of meritocracy is based upon aristocratic or oligarchical structures, rather than in the context of the modern state.

No kidding. How else, then, would you have expected Aristotle to conceive of it? Aristocratic or oligarchical structures were all that existed in his time.

His protégé, Alexander the Great, had finally put paid to the last shreds and fragments of Athenian democracy. Aristotle was no democrat anyway; he regarded democracy as a perverse form of constitutional government. He was undoubtedly aware that the Athenian democracy was behind the decision to execute the entire male population of the island state of Melos after its defeat by Athens in 410BC. For the enemies of Imperial Athens, democracy was no benign thing.

Obviously, the UK media exists in the context of a modern constitutional state with a universal franchise and a recognition of universal, individual rights, where slavery is illegal.

Naughty little trick you tried to pull there.

edit on 4/7/15 by Astyanax because: of Thucydides.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Naughty little trick you tried to pull there.

Think so? Should we talk about the last shreds of western democracy then?

The US is an oligarchy, study concludes

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Damnd, too late for that! Somebody already has been 'Great' again, another little trick.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Should we talk about the last shreds of western democracy then?

We can talk about whatever we want, but when using quotations, let's do so honestly and in context, instead of twisting the words of others to support our own.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Awesome! After reducing the guardian-article to your narrow viewpoint on meritocracy you made up some allegations regarding the way I presented my thoughts. Nope, I don't see any base for a discussion here.

twisting the words of others

That would apply on calling the guardian-piece a report on 'your form of meritocracy' as well, btw.
Be carefull in the china-shop, now!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This thread is a great example of members getting pulled on to the bandwagon.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The brainwashing, via television, goes on the concept of "Monkey see, monkey do!" Television keeps people like-minded. If you don't think so....i'll say one word, that we've all become familiar with: Cecil

Instantly, you saw a lion. Didn't you?

BRAINWASHED!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263 I know most here don't like brand, but he does make good analysis of Fox News. It's funny because it's not uncommon to see these fox views parroted on ATS

edit on 31-7-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JuJuBee

Sorry, I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Of course, I really don't watch any TV except one or two shows my wife DVRs.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
So true!
Article doesn't even need substance.
I showed a friend yesterday a headline that read "Terrifying moment a black child's birthday party was interrupted by 'armed' white men carrying Confederate flags 'shouting n-word', death threat"
They were convinced the headline was true even though it was all hearsay from one side of the story.
Notice how 'armed' and 'shouting n-word' are enclosed quoting someone.
Long story short the flag parade was driving by and the people at the party started shouting at them and 'throwing objects'. One of the trucks had a flat tire and had to fix it.
The police came and the article said they "had to hold back the partygoers" as the trucks left the scene.
The flag parade side of the story isn't give space until near the end of the article.
All of the picture captions carry the idea the flag parade was the problem element.

People look for headlines that confirm their bias, if it does they won't bother to read further.
In their mind their position is vindicated.
The media is complicit in stirring up racial animosity and many are too lazy to bother reading beyond headlines and a few picture captions.
It's a sure formula for trouble.

Just google that headline and see how bad the propaganda is these days.
This article is a prime example.
Do not repost the article here on ATS.
It was already done and deemed unfit for reprinting here.
edit on 31-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JuJuBee

No, frankly, I didn't.

I saw my godson. He's been named Cecil far longer than the lion ever was.

Upon further thought: You seem to associate "Cecil" with "lion" so...what does that indicate?
edit on 31-7-2015 by hephalump because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
the news has become nothing more than another "reality" show.
entertainment and nothing more, its about money...everything is about money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join