It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See The Lightning In Your Eyes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
What is it about possessing power that tends to corrupt those whom wield it? We all know that past studies, anecdotes and real-life experience show us that obtaining power can change normally kind-hearted individuals into tyrannical megalomaniacs. But what is it specifically that compels us to behave so uncharacteristically when we are granted power?

Is it the "mental high" we get from knowing we can dominate others and control their behaviour? Knowing that you are more powerful than others is compounded by feelings of excessive pride and selfishness. The more you have the more you want. When somebody comes along that threatens your level of power, you do all you can to discredit them and turn others against them.

Perhaps it's a defence mechanism. People are so dissatisfied deep down with their own insignificance and lack of purpose that they feel if others see them as powerful or more dominant, they will feel good about themselves. Power therefore acts as a form of "therapy."

The number of people who can resist the temptations that accompany the possession of great power are few indeed. It would take an individual of exceptionally high moral fortitude to accomplish such a stern resolve - individuals that do not let material items, authoritative positions or social statuses affect their decision-making or development.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I avoid power sometimes because I know myself.
Other times I lose power after I mess up.

You have Anakin as your picture. Your power doesn't involve the woman... and.. the children.. does it?

Use your power for others, you are fine. You can keep growing and not lose it.
Go the other way, and you will mess up at some point. Or if you can psycho, you can go the distance. Ha.

My brother was telling me the other day about some Japanese thing. I forget what he called it, but you get too much power and the earth opens up beneath your feet. And you fall into "the pit."

I know I am more like a man, than I am like Frodo.. DO NOT give me the ring. Don't tempt me Frodo.

MY youtube video not working??
It's the offspring, "You're gonna go far kid."

"With a thousand lies
And a good disguise
Hit ‘em right between the eyes
Hit ‘em right between the eyes
When you walk away
Nothing more to say
See the lightning in your eyes
See ‘em running for their lives

Slowly out of line
And drifting closer in your sights
So play it out I’m wide awake
It’s a scene about me
There’s something in your way
And now someone is gonna pay
And if you can’t get what you want
Well it’s all because of me"
edit on 26-6-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Real power belongs to very few, even a CEO is controlled. Bank owners are controlled.

The hidden hand holds the power, and as empty as it sounds, it's as real as the blueprint laid before us.

When thinking and considering how ultimate power corrupts; I come to believe that it's about differentiating those who perceive they hold all the power (even the delusional slaves in society) want to be not apart of those who fuel them power.

To be on another level, state, hierarchy than the rest who hold grains of that power, but collectively make up the whole, yet put it into some strangers hands (presidents, PM, popes, queens, etc..).

So my answer , what corrupts these types? I don't think they can handle power and stay balanced. It's a true responsibility to have all the collective energy of the human species. . One who gains this power, wants to feel on another level, based on everyone working/giving them their power ..

Ultimately this leads corruption if one does not have internal power to stay balanced when given external power (everything humanity works for).

I don't think those in power are balanced enough to contain it, while leading and being true to self. They gain the downward perception of being different or non related to everyone else. As well as, become imbalanced and cannot contain the power the power contains them.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Imo....a person would have to be sufficiently weak in their own sight in order to wield any significant amount of power and not become corrupted by it. I think the bible addresses this in 1 cor 1:26-28 For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,…

new topics

top topics

join