It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ending of the world - Tsunamis begin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob

Originally posted by jazzgul

. Any change is a good change
It would be twice as nice if we could live to see it and be part of it though.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Uhhh...yes!!! We had one last year

First of all, do not assume, the bodycount will stay at 24 000 odd. There are still entire islands washed off and thousands unaccounted for. For instance, the Greater Car Nicobar Island's entire 30 000 population is missing! 3/4ths of Maldives is still under water and nobody is taking a bodycount there. Hundreds are missing in Somalia.

And there where still aftershocks in the Andaman Island's this morning! 45 of them. Some of them at +6.0 on the richter scale!

Secondly, when was the last time several countries got knocked by a 5 ~10 minute incident with so much casualities? Never in my lifetime - and I have lived a long time.

Thirdly, as much as I wish something this scale shall never happen again, it will and with much greater frequency and it will come to your shores too. Those are the telltale signs of mother earth's change of times.

Do not be fooled by "these people were lesser equals, thus not better prepared" assumption. I think, the good guys go first. When it hits you, nor will you ever be ready.

Odd

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm not saying the massive loss of life is anything less than horrible. I am, however, saying that this does not entail the end of the world in any scientific sense.

If you are interpreting the situation as an omen of metaphysical events on the horizon, then we've misunderstood one another... but as far as this situation possibly inciting the collapse of human society... well, no, I don't think that's going to happen.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
well, whaddyu know

Indonesia fears five-fold rise in death toll

CNN: Scientists fear shift in earth's axis

"These subduction zones are where all the world's biggest earthquakes are produced," said geologist Kerry Sieh of the California Institute of Technology. "Sunday was one of the biggest earthquakes in the region in the past 200 years."

How powerful? By some estimates, it was equal to detonating a million atomic bombs.

[edit on 28-12-2004 by aryaputhra]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by aryaputhra
well, whaddyu know

Indonesia fears five-fold rise in death toll

CNN: Scientists fear shift in earth's axis

"These subduction zones are where all the world's biggest earthquakes are produced," said geologist Kerry Sieh of the California Institute of Technology. "Sunday was one of the biggest earthquakes in the region in the past 200 years."

How powerful? By some estimates, it was equal to detonating a million atomic bombs.

[edit on 28-12-2004 by aryaputhra]

I too have read this...do you honestly believe that this has never happened before!?
This planet goes through changes from ice ages to geological reconstructions. It has in the past and it will in the future....you expected it to perhaps stay stable just because it is now so heavily populated!? How silly and naive! Did it mean the end was nigh ::::in my best scary voice:::: the last time the continents were reshaped? No! Does it mean the end is near now!? NO! Your little "well, whaddyu know" sounds as if you think you have just discovered some big secret!? LOL

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, easy now already LadyV. Don't get so emotional. *sigh*

This planet goes through changes from ice ages to geological reconstructions. It has in the past and it will in the future....you expected it to perhaps stay stable just because it is now so heavily populated!?

NO! That's what I'm saying. I was not around in the ice ages, but surely it must have been a scary time when it was happening. LOL

How silly and naive!

What is?

Did it mean the end was nigh ::::in my best scary voice:::: the last time the continents were reshaped? No!

Ok, let me try to put it layman terms - Yes, it did, it was the end to that particular lifestyle. A new lifestyle (civilization) was born thereafter. It has so after each cataclysmic event in history.

Does it mean the end is near now!? NO!

Well, that is upto you and me to percieve it whichever way you and I deem it fit. I say it is so.

Your little "well, whaddyu know" sounds as if you think you have just discovered some big secret!? LOL

The "whaddyu know" part was meant as an addon comment to the body count increasing in the previous post. So?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Secondly, when was the last time several countries got knocked by a 5 ~10 minute incident with so much casualities? Never in my lifetime - and I have lived a long time.
Well..how long is a long time to you? There have always been disasters of this size...sooner or later they hit areas where it will hit more than one country
Date----------Location-----------Magnitude--------------Deaths
April 18, 1906------San Francisco-------8.3--------------------503
Aug. 16, 1906-----Chile-------------------8.6--------------------20,000
Dec. 16, 1920-----China------------------8.6--------------------100,000
Sept. 1, 1920------Japan-----------------8.3--------------------100,000
May 22, 1927------China-----------------8.3--------------------200,000
March 2, 1933-----Japan-----------------8.9--------------------2,990
Jan. 15, 1934------India------------------8.4--------------------10,700
Jan. 24, 1939------Chile------------------8.3--------------------28,000
May 21-30, 1960--Chile------------------9.5--------------------5,000
April 10, 1972------Iran-------------------7.1--------------------5,350
July 28, 1976-------China-----------------7.8 to 8.2------------242,000
Sept. 16, 1978-----Iran-------------------7.5 to 7.9------------15,000
Sept. 19, 1985-----Mexico----------------8.1--------------------9,500
June 21, 1990------Iran-------------------7.7--------------------35,000

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
OK LadyV, how about next year 2005, around this time,we recount on what you've said.

In most likelyhood, I firmly believe, you wouldn't be sitting with the same opinions you hold now. (that this is just a passing phase, and all will be fine) in fact, I prophesize, something not too healthy in Louisville, Kentucky either.

Go and mark the calendar.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by aryaputhra
OK LadyV, how about next year 2005, around this time,we recount on what you've said.

In most likelyhood, I firmly believe, you wouldn't be sitting with the same opinions you hold now. (that this is just a passing phase, and all will be fine) in fact, I prophesize, something not too healthy in Louisville, Kentucky either.

Go and mark the calendar.

Prophesize all you like! LOL Yes...sooner or later, something will happen here...and everywhere else...in time. As I have stated....natural disasters happen and always will, always have

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
as tragic and dramatic an event like this is, there have been 4 more its size or larger already since 1900... 4 of those before 1964... so if anything its gotten less frequent...

Also when Krakatoa exploded in between java and sumatra it was alot bigger and devastating than this... and the world is still here 100+ years on,

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join