It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag Question!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
You actually would consider the devastation caused by government of the Confederate States of America equal to that of the German Nazi government?
Have you read the accounts of the devastation visited on Georgia by Gen. Sherman with Lincoln's consent?
Have you read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Funny thing is Hitler got his ideas for scorched earth , from his study of Gen. Sherman.

The Nazis had a propaganda magazine called SIGNAL, one of the issues had a write up on Sherman and how the Reich was using his tactics in Russia.
edit on 6/27/2015 by DarkStormCrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DarkStormCrow

Give that Crow a chocolate chip cookie!
Hitler took those tactics to the next level.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
You actually would consider the devastation caused by government of the Confederate States of America equal to that of the German Nazi government?
Have you read the accounts of the devastation visited on Georgia by Gen. Sherman with Lincoln's consent?

Yes actually, I would.

However you are diverting from the point - a tactic useful when you cannot respond to the point made. I never said it was the 'same' as you imply only analogous. Look up the word in the dictionary.

When it comes to distruction - the rebellion of the southern states was the initiating cause of wide spread death and distruction in the enire US. The only valid difference between that distruction and the distruction of WWII is one of scope (pre-mechanised vs mechanised war) (close quarters vs stand-off) which not not make the analogy invalid. It is a very apt analogy and I am sorry that it makes you uncomfortable.

And as for the desvasation done by Sherman: By analogy, the US was wrong in WWII because of the extent of the devastation done to Axis powers (Firebombing, atomic bombing not to mention just plain old war carnage).

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Yes actually, I would.

However you are diverting from the point - a tactic useful when you cannot respond to the point made. I never said it was the 'same' as you imply only analogous. Look up the word in the dictionary.

When it comes to distruction - the rebellion of the southern states was the initiating cause of wide spread death and distruction in the enire US. The only valid difference between that distruction and the distruction of WWII is one of scope (pre-mechanised vs mechanised war) (close quarters vs stand-off) which not not make the analogy invalid. It is a very apt analogy and I am sorry that it makes you uncomfortable.

And as for the desvasation done by Sherman: By analogy, the US was wrong in WWII because of the extent of the devastation done to Axis powers (Firebombing, atomic bombing not to mention just plain old war carnage).

When did the CSA attempt to carry out a systematic genocide of any group/s of people?
(hint: It was the USA that attempted to kill all the natives less than a decade after the war, not the CSA.)

Seriously, you need to read a book or two about the Third Reich, their methodology and their goals. Please don't rely on what you learned in high school.

Equation of the Nazi flag and the Stars and Bars is hyperbole rather than analogy, a common tactic by people interested only in "winning" rather than problem-solving.

Perhaps you could procure a dictionary for yourself---or at least turn on your spell check function. Proper spelling would add to the readability of your post.

I have no earthly idea why some people think taking a flag down is going to cure the ills of our society. I suppose it is because they have been told by some TV talking head or some politician that all the problems are caused by superficial things like what flag flies on which pole.
The young man who started this discussion also wore sunglasses in some of those photos---do we need to ban sunglasses also? Or "GOLD'S GYM" shirts since he also wore one of those? Or maybe just ban that haircut?

I'm old enough to remember when a shaved head (skinhead) became a symbol of racism. I have no idea why---never did figure that one out. A fad that began as a backlash at rampant consumerism was co-opted by White Supremacist groups.
Now when I see the skinheads....it makes me wonder....especially when the person whose head is shaved is a police officer or other person in a position of authority. But to judge them just because they have no hair would be judging on something other than behavior.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

When did the CSA attempt to carry out a systematic genocide of any group/s of people?
(hint: It was the USA that attempted to kill all the natives less than a decade after the war, not the CSA.)

Perhaps you could procure a dictionary for yourself---or at least turn on your spell check function. Proper spelling would add to the readability of your post.

Again you are using divertionary tactics that aren't relevant to the subject.

The question at hand is the conferate flag and it's symbolism.

I will grant you that southern gentlemen 'valued' their slaves more then the german establishment of WWiI 'valued' theirs (and their war effort was substantially carried out by slaves.

You can sputter and fume all you like - make fun of my poor spelling - make all the excuses you want - justify your lust for the 'good ole days' all you want but it's the past and it belongs in the past - not on contenporary government building and publically owned spaces that belong to all citizens - black, white, brown, yellow or red.

The confederate flag is an unapologic symbol of white rule and the world is changing and it's time to move into the 21st century.

You do know that the flag didn't fly over the state house until the early sixties, when SC passed a law requiring it to be flown in direct definance of impending civil rights laws and the dismantling (the beginning thereof) jim crow.
edit on 29-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

You do know that the flag didn't fly over the state house until the early sixties, when SC passed a law requiring it to be flown in direct definance of impending civil rights laws and the dismantling (the beginning thereof) jim crow.

Bingo! I offer you a chocolate chip cookie for your correct observation.

THAT is exactly the time that the Stars and Bars was co-opted by a bunch of racists. Just like the white supremacist groups co-opted the shaved heads as their symbol of unity.
So since the Skinheads are racists, are we going to ban shaved heads?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
flagg starr....listen you guys...these days just see and chuckle....logic has left the building....just hunker down and ride out the end of the world as we know it....have fun with it ....it's the only way to go about this kind of scenario ....yes, see prophecy come to life before our very eyes. good God no...don't think it will ease-up....hail no
so,
I chuckle...and farm the garden...sittin there on that sack of seeds

edit on 29-6-2015 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
There is no single act or gesture or law or incident that will end racism.

It will take a series of events, each one a small step forward. Steps that will add up over time.

To use "It wont end racism" as an excuse to do nothing is an excuse to accept things the way they are.

A single step in the right direction.

Better late than never.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join