It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag Question!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I don't know why this upsets me so. I really don't care if you wear the confederate flag or fly it over your house or have it on your car. I date, very briefly, a guy with the confederate flag over his bed.

I had no idea that the confederate flag was flying above a United States member states State House. Or that it is a part of the Alabama flag. That is my ignorance.

But the igorance of those saying it's about culture, the way of live in the south (and I believe they mean it) - don't see that 'culture' and 'way of life' are all built upon Slavery. The fantasy these people have of a dignified and refined South just isn't true - it was all built on the backs of Black Slaves.

It's denial is it's most basic form. Tell yourself what you like, enjoy your flag but don't - don't proclaim your delusion as fact. The flag is a symbol of racism, oppression, and treason and has no place in any PUBLIC venue.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

In a nutshell: Change for the sake of change is a fool's errand. If bringing down the flag realistically changes nothing, why do it? Bottom line here, if someone has a serious issue with it being associated with South Carolina, there are 49 other states which they are absolutely free to move to. If they disliked seeing it on the General Lee, there are several hundred other TV channels, all with equivalent pablum, for them to watch. If they detested seeing it for sale on Amazon, by all means shop elsewhere (or just don't search for 'Rebel flag" on Amazon...)

We've reached a point in our national "bend over" exercises in which the time has come to put up resistance.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm curious as to what problems will be solved and/or created by demanding the removal of this flag, or any other flag for that matter, which is flying and carries the rancid stains of bloodshed, strife, injustice, hypocrisy, you name it?

Sometimes it's wise to let sleeping dogs lie, other times it's not.

edit on 25-6-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
We MUST take down the Confederate flag!!! And remove Civil War games from google play, and books, we gotta start burning lots of books!!!!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Yep, there were no such things as indentured servants or white slaves, just ask all the Irish.

No blacks in Africa sold other blacks into slavery and their were no black people rioting in the streets in Africa to protest the END of the slave trade.

Ignorance is knowledge, truth is lies.

Can we start the book burnings now? That hack Mark Twain can be the kindling.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Change for the sake of change is a fool's errand.

Understandable approach.

However, "just move if you don't like it" is not a cogent argument imo.

What sort of message does that send to thousands of people in SC?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

A racist act occurred.

People's reaction to find a solution to the racist act was to. . . . .

Call for bans on confederate designs on games, toys, flags, films,. . . . . . .

This is easier than to face the fact that government solutions have failed, our education system has failed, our culture has failed at addressing the race issues.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
"Members of a free society must tolerate speech which is insulting and often outrageous."- The US Supreme Court

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I see where you're going with that...

One group decided to call for bans on all remnants of the Stainless Banner and in turn another group saw this as a reason to declare it won't end racism.

That actually makes sense.

I do think it's going a bit too far, I'm in agreement that it shouldn't be on government buildings/grounds...

The rest all seems to be petty pandering.

Thanks Beezzer I'm happy with that explaination.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

They failed because they wont let it die.

It comes in handy to many, to continually fan the flames.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

With some of what I've read here and seen in the media, the eerie thought of "Fahrenheit 451" comes to mind.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
As far as Confederate flag goes, except for some unpleasant snoring now and then, that dog's been fast asleep for the past 150 years.

America has much more dangerous dogs to deal with, namely the corrupt U.S. federal government, which is deliberately running this country into the ground. Now there's a vulgar dog that needs to be kicked.

edit on 25-6-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Stormdancer777

With some of what I've read here and seen in the media, the eerie thought of "Fahrenheit 451" comes to mind.

Funny but true .

Your old .,,,,, um sorry about that ....,do you remember the whole Anita Bryant fiasco ? The nation almost set down there orange juice in unison .

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

yeah.

How soon we forget. . . . . .

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: FyreByrd

Yep, there were no such things as indentured servants or white slaves, just ask all the Irish.

No blacks in Africa sold other blacks into slavery and their were no black people rioting in the streets in Africa to protest the END of the slave trade.

Ignorance is knowledge, truth is lies.

Can we start the book burnings now? That hack Mark Twain can be the kindling.

What ignorance are YOU trying to spread?
You just authored a thread about flags and "saggy pants" not even acknowledging the fact that several municipalities have ordinances against "sagging trousers" YET NONE HAVE BANNED ANY FLAGS!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You lose 6 family members in 4 years of war only to have people come along later and say "you can't display the flag they fought under!".
Being non-slave owners of course they got out there to fight to preserve slavery.
They left their wives, children and farms to fight while Yankees back home might be burning your house or stealing the crops your family needs to survive the winter, but preserving slavery is more important than protecting your family and future, right?

Do you see why this blanket condemnation of the Confederate battle flag could be a little upsetting to some folks? The current simplistic view of the Civil War, the Confederacy and those who lived in the South is a very lopsided and unrealistic portrayal of what it was really like. After 45 years I still learn new facets about it quite often.

Nobody was upset about the flag a week ago.
Nobody but the media is upset about it now.

5% of Southerners owned slaves and some of those owners were Black.
Now the other 95% of Southerners deserve to be denigrated because ............?
edit on 25-6-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Display it all you want on individual gravesites, t-shirts, belt buckles, gas tanks, Kid Rock (when he isnt wearing his classy US flag poncho) etc. Just keep it off of state property as a flag on a pole. It is a treasonous "battle flag" used as a standard in combat against the United States.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
There's information being shared now that the government had these companies, such as Amazon who replied to costumers, that they didn't take the items down politically but were told to by the government. The US government doesn't want these major retailers to sell the confederate flags and items. Am guessing it's the same with the flag manufacturers that will no longer make them. One Source
edit on 25-6-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Why remove it then? Why have major companies(and where will that stop?) quit selling it? It comes off as;
If the flag symbol is not around potential racists will not rally around it then act.

After all it was sparked by this no? While it's been debated for some time now in Southern states, about being flown, etc, NOW it is a national issue. My state, in the West, removed the Mississippi flag from the state capital yesterday.

Not to call you out anyone specifically but many are saying the same things such as: The flag issue upsets them but they do not care about it. Even those living in the South or from there. Sure you don't care about it as a heritage symbol nor see it as a reflection of culture(calling it a non culture as well), that's you then, but there are others there who do see it as such.
So, why does it upset people then if they do not care about it? Sounds like media working as intended to get people to rally against the flag. Before hand you knew nothing about the flag yet claim to know that the culture is built on slavery. Also, BTW, the flag was not flying OVER the S.C. capital. It was flying near the confederate monument on the state grounds.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
There's information being shared now that the government had these companies, such as Amazon who replied to costumers, that they didn't take the items down politically but were told to by the government. The US government doesn't want these major retailers to sell the confederate flags and items. Am guessing it's the same with the flag manufacturers that will no longer make them. One Source

Under what law?

The heresay of some Amazon.com chained to the computer "MUST MAKE SALES QUOTA OR STARVE" employee(s) IS BULLSnip!!!

There are NO LAWS RESTRICTING THE FREE TRADE OR SALE OF "REBEL" FLAGS(i didnt say confederate for the armchair historians out there, though all are seditious).
The corporations that CHOOSE to not sell merchandise with it, well, it is their choice to sell or not to sell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join