It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag Question!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Honestly, I've grown tired of Confederate Flag threads...

But I'm going to be hypocritical and make one so I can receive an answer to a question that's really bugging me...

I, and I'm sure everyone else, have heard the argument;
"Taking down a flag won't stop racism"...

Right?
You've heard it, yes...
Numerous times I bet, right?

Well... Captain Obvious...
Where on earth did you hear anyone say that taking down the flag would actually stop racism that compelled you to make this your motto for the week?

Nowhere I bet...

So it's not actually an argument that's been used to justify removing the flag...

It's just a figment of the imagination that's been brought up countless times as some sort of "rebuttal" in every single CF thread there has been so far...

But I digress...
Maybe you have heard some "libtard" say that this will stop racism...

Please tell us where.
I've searched media, mainstream/alternative/& underground, social media, and ATS...
And I'm stumped as to where you decided you needed to use this argument...

And I'll happily eat my words... Honestly.
edit on 25-6-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Ooooh, poor grammar!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Oh, I just love your posts! S&F

Your question is a terrific question. Even being the liberal I am, there's no way I'd be so naïve to think that taking down a flag would stop racism. I wish it were that simple.

I do think taking down the confederate flag will remove a symbol of hatred, oppression, and racism.

But you know you'll have haters making stuff up. This should be entertaining.

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

and its also a figment of anyones imagination that this will fix anything.........

the whole thing was used as a scape goat........a patsy, a deflection........something to stir up more discontent........

Ive said it before and ill say it again.......

The SC didnt react to the massacre like those in power thought they would.......they didnt lash out , they didnt riot...

They reacted with love and forgivness and all as a community coming together.......

This pissed off the ones that are in power...they needed something to stir the pot more.........

They found it.......

now look at what the focus is on?

Not how SC handled everything with grace and love and LIVING their religion , and showing forgiveness......

nono........we cant have people seeing that........

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Thanks Chief, and I agree with you 100%.

It'd be asinine to believe and especially to state that this gesture could end racism.

But symbolically, it sends the right message across the board.

*Side note, not directed at you Chief*

Before I'm flooded, stick it on your lawn, and in your window, wear it on a t-shirt, with a belt buckle, and slap on your Confederate cap...
But I'd say it's common sense that it shouldn't be flying above government buildings.

I guess now I've said that I can expect the "you're not even from here so butt out of it" argument...

I will when you answer the OP question.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Charlie, please, I beseech you! Let sleeping dogs lie. No good will come of continually fanning the flames of divisiveness.

Things have quietened down a bit. Let's leave it that way. Please.

Jasmine

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Not surprisingly, I agree with you Mask...

But that doesn't answer my question.

I'd expect better than tit for tat.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Have look and tell me what you think...

Audio Recording of Amazon.com Admitting That the
Federal Government Ordered Them To Stop Selling
The Confederate Flag! investmentwatchblog.com... rate-flag/

and

7 Things You Didn’t Know About the Civil War: “There were over 3,000 BLACK slave owners who lived in the south”

With all of the controversy surrounding the Confederate Flag, and with Apple Inc. now removing all civil war related games from their app offerings, we have reached a point where propaganda has begun to outweigh the real truth.

patriotrising.com...

and

In 2014 police killed about twice the amount of Americans as those killed in all U.S. mass shootings combined, starting in 1982.

The amount of people killed in all U.S. mass shootings - 567. That's 567 people in 157 shootings starting in the 1980s. In 2014 alone - in one year flat - police nearly killed double that amount. 12160.info...

edit on 25-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyJae

My intention isn't to divide Jasmine... Promise...

I've just seen the argument too often and it finally got to me.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

That's very informative wasaka, thanks.

But maybe let people answer the question before the thread turns into the other 1866392961783 threads.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

It's not banned yet but it's only a matter of time.

Also this seems more of a rant than a question.
edit on 25-6-2015 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I'm sure the 1st amendment is pretty safe saneone...

Any idea where this fallacious question came from and why?

Edit: the question is more important than the rant to me...

I refuse to post a 2 line OP.
edit on 25-6-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

and its also a figment of anyones imagination that this will fix anything.........

Your absolutely correct, taking down the confederate flag won't change a single thing.

It would however be a very positive step in making a stance against racism and the lack of equality within society.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
We can wave "facts" that we individually pull off of the internet in each other's faces all day and night ad infinitum and end up where we started.

I have no problem with whatever anyone wants to display on their own property or person. A state should do better and be inclusive to all and alienate none in their decorations.
edit on 25-6-2015 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Charlie you must not have checked out any of my threads or post . The misconception is that the Civil War was exclusively about slavery .

It wasn't it was also about state rights and nullification of unconstitutional practices by states . Slavery was involved in many of these nullification attempts. But the main argument was unfair taxing and tariffs among other things .

If you want to hear the full story about the Civil War not only the victors side? I did a thread on it check my profile.
edit on 25-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

Edit; I completely agree with you on the absurdity of it ending racism . What I tried to address is that racism is not the sole issue .
edit on 25-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I like how everyone is saying "I have no problem if you fly it on your own property" you all know that is b.s I give it till the end of the year until we start hearing a different tune.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I've been reading them mate, just not posting so much.

It's been very informative.

The ins and outs of the Civil War isn't my comfort zone, so I'm just learning for now.
I have done research on the flag itself and the designer, so I've chipped in here and there on flag discussions, but not the war as a whole.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I won't saneone...

We don't always agree, but I know that's an infringement.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well said, Charlie! Those who use that argument are just attempting to deflect the core issue. The bottom-line is that the government is supposed to represent 100% of the people....that is impossible to accomplish when 50% of the population views that flag as racist, divisive, treasonous, etc. As private citizens, fly that rag until your heart is content; however, government facilities should not; as it gives off the perception that they are endorsing the stereotype associated with it. reply to: CharlieSpeirs

edit on 25-6-2015 by LeatherNLace because: spelling/incomplete sentence

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka

Have look and tell me what you think...

Audio Recording of Amazon.com Admitting That the
Federal Government Ordered Them To Stop Selling
The Confederate Flag! investmentwatchblog.com... rate-flag/

and

7 Things You Didn’t Know About the Civil War: “There were over 3,000 BLACK slave owners who lived in the south”

With all of the controversy surrounding the Confederate Flag, and with Apple Inc. now removing all civil war related games from their app offerings, we have reached a point where propaganda has begun to outweigh the real truth.

patriotrising.com...

and

In 2014 police killed about twice the amount of Americans as those killed in all U.S. mass shootings combined, starting in 1982.

The amount of people killed in all U.S. mass shootings - 567. That's 567 people in 157 shootings starting in the 1980s. In 2014 alone - in one year flat - police nearly killed double that amount. 12160.info...

Your source for this fact is extremely questionable - ownership is hidden. It's been around five years seems to be the only fact I can gather easily on it - but I'm not a pro.

It smells like a noise machine.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace
Well said, Charlie! Those who use that argument are just attempting to deflect the core issue. The bottom-line is that the government is supposed to represent 100% of the people....

...then why not start with something actually meaningful? It is woefully obvious that the government represents the corporations first, the 1% second, and then the poor and special interest groups because that's where their voter base lies. This government in no way represents ME... the problem is, unless you fall into one of the previously mentioned categories, you're S.O.L. and have no reasonable expectation of representation (BUT God help you if you fail to pay for everyone else to play.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join