It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copy and Paste Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Oh look, an interesting topic! You have managed to grab our attention and many members are excited to weigh in on your thoughts. Your thread title seems unoriginal, but never judge a book by it’s cover.

Upon entering your thread, we are left staring into an abyss of hard to decipher technobabble, scientific doublespeak and small windows of context. No insight, no explanation, just a test of our ability to comprehend the sometimes incomprehensible.

You have no imagination, your thoughts are nonexistent and your attempt to spark a debate falls upon those who bring their own beer to the party. As the host, I would expect there to be SOMETHING for me to chew on, but like many times, I am left hungry.

After enough guests arrive, there are always a few who were kind enough to bring something for the rest of us to sample, while you are left in a state of confusion as to why all the cool kids stayed home that night.

Not every guest is as hungry as myself and will humbly reward the massive exertion of energy it took you to develop the only sentence you probably accidentally put into writing.

Nothing original, no imagination, no insight, no postulating. Your thread has crash landed before it ever got off the ground and there is nothing left to admire but the explosion and rising flames which quickly reduces itself into a smoldering pile of ashes. And like most terrible hosts, you are the first to pass out leaving everybody else to clean up the mess.

Do yourself a favor and realize that your success here at ATS, whatever that may be, is not due to flashy thread titles that end in question marks or the one paragraph followed by such demands as "your thoughts?" or my personal favorite, "what say you ATS?"

You have invited us over for dinner with nothing to serve but an empty plate. You leave us starving for a back story, relative context and interesting avenues of discussion.

You are as boring as toast and deserve nothing less than the most you give. Congratulations on your mind blowing ability to copy and paste.

Thanks...
(for almost nothing)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
well at least your topic is original.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Great post! S&F

You describe eloquently what probably so many of us think when we see these threads.

Usually when I see threads like that, I quickly move on to something else. I won't even waste my time on them.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Completely agree. I do not make many threads and mostly read (until something go into me yesterday). I will do my best to heed your rant request and serve a fine meal with refreshments to all when I do.
edit on 25-6-2015 by notmyrealname because: into not tint

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

What a lovely avatar! (Sorry off topic)

Now I'm curious and will check out some of the threads you authored.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Usually when I see threads like that, I quickly move on to something else. I won't even waste my time on them.

The impression I get is the OP wants to discuss something with you, but has little knowledge of the topic themselves. They use a captivating thread title to draw you in and expect everyone to make it rain stars and flags. If I'm going to dwell, your home better be inviting.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
There is worse

There is the Youtube link with the standard "watch this video"
"This person is stupid and i disagree with them".

Ok you have an opinion but what makes their opinion wrong, why is your opinion valid.
i might think your opinion is stupid and theirs is fine based on the fact you cant communicate like an adult, making me not at all interested in watching the video clip

No insight to your values, no explanation of the opposing view, just a rant based on your opinion that you dont have the capacity to validate and we have to watch a video that upset you

alternately its an I agree and so should you comment. Why, agree with what, why do I want to watch it and discuss it.
A simple synopsis and explanation of your feelings towards the clip will give me an indication of its validity to me and if its worthy of viewing and commenting

ats is on a slippery slope of common stupidity
edit on b2015Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:38:53 -050063020154pm302015-06-25T20:38:53-05:00 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

A full copy and paste of another website's article, even when proper credit and links so stating are provided, is against T&Cs and will cause loss of points, a stern warning, or maybe worse.

Snipets only.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname

Completely agree. I do not make many threads and mostly read (until something go into me yesterday). I will do my best to heed your rant request and serve a fine meal with refreshments to all when I do.

I consider myself a mediocre poster. ATS is an outlet for me and anytime spent here should be as constructive and entertaining as possible. I don't think certain members realize how exciting and rewarding it can be to let your guard down and share.

I have come to appreciate other member's opinions here and look forward to criticism that I subject myself to on a daily basis. If there is anything to take away from my involvement here, its that I feel part of something greater than myself.

Every once in a while an interesting or thought provoking thread comes along and causes me to reevaluate my perspective on life. I don't get that much from my peers and often find answers where I least expect them.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

If there is anything to take away from my involvement here, its that I feel part of something greater than myself.

Something greater then yourself? I think you expect to much from ATS and from the average person.

You know sometimes someone comes across something they find interesting, it has not been posted, they may have no further insight but want to GET that insight from fellow ATS ers what is wrong with that, they are sincere not everyone is Einstein and can provide "something greater".

In my opinion they are welcome to do as they can if sincere.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Something greater then yourself?

Yes. When you feel small, being connected to people all around the world has a tendency to do that.

I think you expect to much from ATS and from the average person.

I'm not sure how you would know that. What did you expect by responding to this thread?

You know sometimes someone comes across something they find interesting, it has not been posted, they may have no further insight but want to GET that insight from fellow ATS ers what is wrong with that, they are sincere not everyone is Einstein and can provide "something greater".

Not everyone is Einstein? Well geez, when you compare people on ATS to Einstein, your narrow minded opinion of how average everybody is on here suddenly holds merit. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I expected more from you.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The best part of a good thread is reading the intro and analysis.

I try not to post drivel, but I'm a novice. I can do analysis and remember related issues, which go in a thread response.

I tried a few threads of my own, I thought they were rich in media and analysis....topical too, but they never went anywhere. I was kind of surprised actually.

Is "topical" the right world?

I can do humour too, but it is frowned upon here :0(

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I'm with the OP.

I hate spending god knows how long reading the links before feeling qualified to respond. The OP is usually the most complicated post of the entire thread and I hate that this is what is expected of all of us. Less is more.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Excellent post. S+F

Do yourself a favor and realize that your success here at ATS, whatever that may be, is not due to flashy thread titles that end in question marks or the one paragraph followed by such demands as "your thoughts?" or my personal favorite, "what say you ATS?"

It's just social media; pure entertainment; time killer; sharing of content; and nothing more. But, then again, who am I to dictate how much intellectual effort should be exerted by others on social media sites...?

You have no imagination, your thoughts are nonexistent and your attempt to spark a debate falls upon those who bring their own beer to the party.

Despite the perceived lack of imagination and thought-poor ramblings of others as you suggested, some still show up with good spirits despite being surrounded by those who brew their own keg and often drown in it....

As the host, I would expect there to be SOMETHING for me to chew on, but like many times, I am left hungry.

A host expecting a guest to provide something to chew on instead of being the one providing the meat at the table, is not a good host at all. Yet, I agree; the host should provide the main course.

Not every guest is as hungry as myself and will humbly reward the massive exertion of energy it took you to develop the only sentence you probably accidentally put into writing.

The word "humble" (as in pie) used within this context is ironic and reflects a bitter taste of arrogance.

Nothing original, no imagination, no insight, no postulating. Your thread has crash landed before it ever got off the ground and there is nothing left to admire but the explosion and rising flames which quickly reduces itself into a smoldering pile of ashes. And like most terrible hosts, you are the first to pass out leaving everybody else to clean up the mess.

Yeah...again, it's only social media. Pure entertainment for the mind (and nothing more) when truly digested....

Thanks...
(for almost nothing)

Thank you for taking the time and energy to share your perspective.

Also, I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time and energy to read my comment. Please use the plate on the left to spit out the bones you chew on...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I think that a lot of us who have been tend to think this way. That's one of the main reasons I've left and come back so many times. I've finally settled on the idea of just staying in the off topic forums, posting generally on replies unless something really has my attention. The serious forums depress me a bit, but that's just the way things seem to be moving. That's okay for some, but it's just not for me.

The other thing, as I believe was the point of the post just above me, is that people tend to overlook those posts that are longer because the author of said post added their own discussion. That shouldn't be the case. Discussion boards are just that...discussion boards. It's a place to voice opinions and talk about things. We boast about having intelligent conversation, but somehow some people believe you can have an intelligent conversation WITHOUT actually saying anything. While I'm sure that's possible if you're psychic...most of us don't have that gift.

Well...on ATS you might find plenty of them who think they do anyway...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shugo

The other thing, as I believe was the point of the post just above me, is that people tend to overlook those posts that are longer because the author of said post added their own discussion. That shouldn't be the case. Discussion boards are just that...discussion boards

I agree that people tend to possess a short attention span for anything that is not written by themselves and lack the patience to entertain ideas (without having to except them) that seem too time consuming and not in alignment with their beliefs to allow into their awareness. I believe the same psychological tendency is the reason instructional YouTube videos such as cooking or "how to" channels have shortened their vids to an average of six minutes or less.

We boast about having intelligent conversation, but somehow some people believe you can have an intelligent conversation WITHOUT actually saying anything. While I'm sure that's possible if you're psychic...most of us don't have that gift.

LOL, I agree. It's NOT possible even for those who have nurtured the ability to tap into the collective unconscious anyway. Doesn't work that way.

So, in saying that, I wholeheartedly agree that to engage in intelligent discourse we need to exercise the magic of converting mental thoughts into symbols (text/letters) and vibration (spoken words). To not do so will leave us sitting around blank faced with just an assumption of other's thoughts.

Well...on ATS you might find plenty of them who think they do anyway...

Send those "New Agers/Psychic" types who like to pretend they have divine mystical abilities my way. I LOVE talking to them...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Couldn't have said any of that better myself.

I am also convinced that an age of social media, where "status updates" are the general means of cuneiform and writing - it also shortens attention span. I've seen people put more creative thought into a status update, than a research paper these days. It's really rather depressing. I don't see it getting better before it gets much worse either.

Send those "New Agers/Psychic" types who like to pretend they have divine mystical abilities my way. I LOVE talking to them...

You sound like me. I bet you have a lot of good stories to tell over a few drinks after work! Ha!

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Thank you, my friend, for your kind thought.

I am also convinced that an age of social media, where "status updates" are the general means of cuneiform and writing - it also shortens attention span.

I agree; being restricted to 70 characters in a post can condition the mind towards having a shorter attention span. It seeks ways to convey and attain information in the quickest way. Then again: a wise person can give an hour speech in under five minutes.

I've seen people put more creative thought into a status update, than a research paper these days.

I feel you, I often remind those people: It's a status update, not a journal entry!

You sound like me. I bet you have a lot of good stories to tell over a few drinks after work!

Are you asking me out....?

Have a great week ahead.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist
I agree; being restricted to 70 characters in a post can condition the mind towards having a shorter attention span. It seeks ways to convey and attain information in the quickest way. Then again: a wise person can give an hour speech in under five minutes.

I feel you, I often remind those people: It's a status update, not a journal entry!

Makes one chuckle just a little bit about online anonymity. I'm all for it, but I'm not someone who hides from social media. It is what it is. But I also don't share every little detail of my life on it either. ATS is actually the only site that I continue any form of net anonymity.

Though, if we're being completely honest, that's mainly because I don't want to be associated with ATS elsewhere. I have a lot of peers and people above me that would shake their head over it, for reasons previously joked about.

Are you asking me out....?

That depends on a few things. Do I call you sir, or ma'am?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I enjoy my anonymity everywhere. I don't really do FB (haven't logged on since Feb and my account is bare - 4 photos). No twitter, no instogram, no apps on my phone except for Words with friends, I only check personal emails once a month. However, I do like ATS because of the minds that participate here and have become drawn to this intelligent online community.

I believe the real world is far more important than the internet. I'm typing this post outdoors under a big elm tree, atm.

That depends on a few things. Do I call you sir, or ma'am?

LOL... Let's just keep it platonic; connect from a heart-mind level; and that (being a sir or ma'am) won't matter.

top topics

join