It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{CAM} Motorcyclist alive after head-on crash with fire truck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk
Was the test bike the S1000RR?
What was your overall opinion of the Nurb?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse
Was the test bike the S1000RR?

There were no identifying numbers etc on the bike and the engine was completely hidden, so I dont know what it was. It was 2007 when I saw the bike, and the only part I got real good look at was the rear wheel (I was sat next to it), it was the first time I'd seen a brake disc mounted in the center of the wheel!
My brother tried questioning the guy about the bike but he refused to talk about it.

What was your overall opinion of the Nurb?

Exciting dangerous and frightening

I paid for three laps, hid my cam on the back of the bike because cams are not allowed and they do a thorough search for them!
Finally I was let loose and within seconds my poor old tedium was maxed out. Up ahead I could see the track dissapearing downwards but I could see it going back up the hill so I kept going, when I hit the bottom of the dip the gforces pinned my entire body to the tank for what seemed like an eternity, I couldn't even breath!
That was the most frightening part for me, I really hadn't expected that!

In some places the track is quite narrow with gentle curves and I think those parts are what I enjoyed the most because the trees being so close highlight just how fast one is traveling, on the more open areas 130mph just didn't seem very exciting

Something else that was quite worrying was the discovery of road repairs! There were no warning signs, you just suddenly discover them!

Then there's the Porche's OMG!!!
If you ever go there use your mirrors! because those things can corner at what seems like twice the speed of a bike. Several times I was leant over and on the ragged edge and suddenly out of the blue a Porche would scream by, and as they go past you find yourself hit by a monstrous pressure wave followed by being pulled in behind them.

My opinion as a race track? If it were fully resurfaced (might have been by now) it must surely be the most exciting track in the world, it has everything.

Just a few nights ago I saw a docu about the Dunlop family, it was titled ROAD. Most of the docu was set on the Isle of man where they hold the famous TT races, that is where I'd like to go next.

ETA: When we got back to our room I excitedly played back the footage from my hidden cam. It had been bumped about so much it had moved and all I got was the sky, only on one bend where I was seriously leant over could the track be seen

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
I have to say, that was very poor riding! Looked like he panicked. He didn't even lay the bike over to avoid the truck!
I'd have chosen either side of that truck rather than hit it!

Here is how its done properly at high speed and under extreme circumstances :-)
This guy knew just what to do.
www.liveleak.com...

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder
One dude is a professional.
The other dude shouldn't even be on or own a 2 wheeled machine.
Cool video though. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Nice description of your track time, Hawk and thanks.
I'm sure it would have been a massive difference in your experience if you had been on a race prepped machine.
Did they make you safety wire that bike you rode?
Total heartbreaker on that cam footage I bet. I am truly sorry to hear that.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Nice description of your track time, Hawk and thanks.

A pic of that dip I mentioned. It doesn't look much, but when you hit the bottom at 130mph you cant breath and your upper body is compressed against the tank and suspension is completely bottomed out! I'll never forget that moment.

Did they make you safety wire that bike you rode?

Each bike has its tyres and brakes checked, and musn't be leaking fluids, also have to have a full license (no learners), but that is all.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder

I have to say, that was very poor riding! Looked like he panicked. He didn't even lay the bike over to avoid the truck!

www.liveleak.com...

Regards, Iwinder

LOL

I have so many stories I could tell about my biking adventures, and that reminds me of one of them.
I'd bought (for £5!!!) an x-army 350 Matchless. Sometimes it would let loose a massive shock (magneto so it really hurt). One day a friend and myself were taking turns on it roaring about in an old abandoned quarry. I felt the familiar kick up the backside from the magneto, then right after I noticed my friend furiously waving at me so I rode over to him. As I pulled up by him I realised my left leg was on fire! The fuel pipe had come off and the belt I got from the magneto had ignited my petrol drenched leg. I can assure you you've never seen anyone get out of their jeans as fast as I did.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder

www.liveleak.com...

Regards, Iwinder

LOL

I have so many stories I could tell about my biking adventures, and that reminds me of one of them.
I'd bought (for £5!!!) an x-army 350 Matchless. Sometimes it would let loose a massive shock (magneto so it really hurt). One day a friend and myself were taking turns on it roaring about in an old abandoned quarry. I felt the familiar kick up the backside from the magneto, then right after I noticed my friend furiously waving at me so I rode over to him. As I pulled up by him I realised my left leg was on fire! The fuel pipe had come off and the belt I got from the magneto had ignited my petrol drenched leg. I can assure you you've never seen anyone get out of their jeans as fast as I did.

That would nowadays be a viral video :-) Very happy to know you came out of that mess in one piece.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Have you ever looked back and said to yourself " I should be dead?" To answer Void's question I have never owned a bike, I have however driven a Honda 50cc mini bike and later in life drove a Yamaha 125 off road bike. That was faster than I liked the 125 was really hyper.

To the point now one night in the early 80's my buddy picked me up to go "bevelating" on his hopped up KZ1000 and I remember that it was Lime green and black and screamed like well......a screamer:-) We went a drinking and being in our early 20's last call came too soon for us so we headed off to the USA for a few more rounds.

We hit the highway for a quick 5 miles to the USA and I was on the back with just an open face helmet, I could not lift my head up because of the wind. I was ripping my helmet off of me and the tears were blinding me.

We got to the States and proceeded to drink 4 more beers each and then bought a six pack to go. Ended up on some back highway pulled over and started on our beers. The guy starts nagging me to take the bike for a spin.....NO No No I say about two beers later I said give the the freeeking keys.
I had no idea how to drive this bike but somehow I got up to 2n'd gear and wound up in a farmers field and eventually dropped the bike.

I was probably only doing about 50 mph but it was hard to tell at the time:-) Glad I had the misfortune to get the heck off the road and hit the dirt. Thank the Gods I never found 5 gear or 6 if there was one. That was the last time I was ever on a bike and probably a good thing too.
My driving skills on a bike make that guy in the video look like an ace driver:-)
Regards, Iwinder

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join