It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{CAM} Motorcyclist alive after head-on crash with fire truck

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

www.ctvnews.ca...

Now this is one scary incident. Could have been a total different health recovery outcome if the fire truck was a non-emergency vehicle to begin with.

Just watching the video got me biting my teeth together. Brrrrrr~ Good thing he was okay with only a couple broken bones.

Lesson learned: Slow down around the bends when you cannot see on coming traffic!
edit on 25-6-2015 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yowza... was he looking at the road? One lucky guy there, could of been alot worse...oddly convenient to hit a truck load of 1st responders id say!

a reply to: Skywatcher2011

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I have to say, that was very poor riding! Looked like he panicked. He didn't even lay the bike over to avoid the truck!
I'd have chosen either side of that truck rather than hit it!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

That sure was scary!! Had my heart pumping all sorts of fast!
I am glad he didn't get hurt worse!
edit on 25-6-2015 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
At this point he should have been choosing his escape route, instead he freezes and hits head on.

I grew up on bikes, and I learnt not to panic through lots of off road riding. Off road riding teaches riders that there's always a escape route, you just have to look for it. I've been saying for many years that part of the bike test should involve off road riding.
edit on 25-6-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
It actually looks like his front end lifted a little or was wobbling unless that was him panicking.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
I have to say, that was very poor riding! Looked like he panicked. He didn't even lay the bike over to avoid the truck!
I'd have chosen either side of that truck rather than hit it!

Agreed Void, my buddy did the same thing way back in the early 80's ended up going down the sidewalk on a busy street and right into the intersection.

Hey survived the following collision but it cost a year in traction and to this day he can't walk a straight line if you paid him.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 25-6-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Looks like the bike lost some traction on the way around that bend. There is a subtle tell tale vibration in the shot, anomalous to the rest of the footage, which happens just as he rounds the bend. I think that the bike was not strictly under control for at least three quarters of that turn. He probably saw the truck, but could not get enough grip to change direction.

That's how it looked to me anyway.

ETA: just looked again.

I am sure the bike was out of control during the seconds immediately preceding impact. It was skipping around, bouncing about. Looks like the rider caught a bad patch of road, perhaps a pot hole or patched asphalt section, and it bucked around like a mechanical bull under him, meaning that there was not a whole lot he could have done at that speed, to prevent the impact.
edit on 25-6-2015 by TrueBrit because: Added clarification.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Hi Mr and Mrs Iwinder

You ever had bikes?
I was lucky where I grew up. It was mostly marshland so very few roads, for me that was a blessing, it meant at aged 9, while friends waited for the one bus per day, I was riding legally off road to wherever I wanted to go.
At 9 years old I asked the old lady who lived next door if I could have the bike that was sitting idle in her garden shed, and she said yes! My father was a mechanic and he helped me get it running.
It was a 197cc Francis Barnet. Be worth a fortune now!

That led to bigger bikes, which went faster, and often landed me in swampy mud
But thats how I learnt that there's always a way out, you just musn't freeze, the moment you freeze you are doomed. Thats what happened to the guy in OP's vid, he froze very early on, I hope the rider studies the vid because hopefully he'll realize he had so many options had he not frozen up.

Hope your both well?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Looks like the bike lost some traction on the way around that bend. There is a subtle tell tale vibration in the shot, anomalous to the rest of the footage, which happens just as he rounds the bend. I think that the bike was not strictly under control for at least three quarters of that turn. He probably saw the truck, but could not get enough grip to change direction.

That's how it looked to me anyway.

I spotted that too, I'm on the fence as to whether it lost traction, or the wobble was caused by his fright?
When riders suddenly realise they are in trouble they instinctively grab hold very tight, and that causes a wobble just like we see in the vid.
That tight grip is the start of the freeze. Very hard to get out of it, thats why I said in my post above that bikers ought to be made to do off road riding before they are let loose on what ammounts to a missile on wheels.
Off road riding teaches how to get out of the freeze.

The guy in the vid was going so fast the bike was drifting across the road, pulling it back might be hard (but could have been done) , but he could have just let the bike have its own way, and that would have taken him off road, missing the truck, instead he DROVE into the truck.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I dunno man... I will defer to your greater experience, since I have never ridden a bike. But it looked to me very similar to the sort of skipping that I have seen in Moto GP races, where a rider is going so fast, that if they catch a dodgy bit of road, or debris, or anything that suddenly alters the friction coefficient acting between the tires and the road, the bike begins to skip about. It can even happen when a rider tries to turn too hard while going too fast. Judging by the number of times I have seen a pro take a spill after something like that in a race, I would not assume the worst of the fellow in the video.

But as I said at the start of this post, I will defer to your experience here!

edit on 25-6-2015 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I dunno man... I will defer to your greater experience, since I have never ridden a bike. But it looked to me very similar to the sort of skipping that I have seen in Moto GP races, where a rider is going so fast, that if they catch a dodgy bit of road, or debris, or anything that suddenly alters the friction coefficient acting between the tires and the road, the bike begins to skip about. It can even happen when a rider tries to turn too hard while going too fast. Judging by the number of times I have seen a pro take a spill after something like that in a race, I would not assume the worst of the fellow in the video.

But as I said at the start of this post, I will defer to your experience here!

As I said, I'm on the fence, but what we see in the vid looks like what is known as wallowing, its caused by the frame twisting under stress, it gives the illusion that the rear wheel has lost traction because the rear wheel actually takes a different path from the front wheel, it runs wider. It can be caused by bumbs while under hard acceleration, and also by the rider grabbing the bars tightly.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I just took another look, he doesnt lose grip, he hits a bumb and bounces, thats why he ends up on the wrong side.
Again I put it down to inexperience, he should have been reading the road!

There's a lot to riding bikes that many new riders dont know about, for example smelling damp roads! Ever considered that? If the wind is in the right direction you can smell a wet road long before you get to it.
If travelling fast watching the road surface is just as important as watching where one is going!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
One thing is for sure.
He entered that turn wrong. And that was the main problem.
Off road testing for an endorsement....pleeease.
They should make you run on a track, with a decorated instructor.

edit on R2015pm25C2015000000Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:04:14 -050014America/Chicago by RoadCourse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse
One thing is for sure.
He entered that turn wrong. And that was the main problem.

Yep, he should have been wide so that he could see what was around the corner.

Off road testing for an endorsement....pleeease.
They should make you run on a track, with a decorated instructor.

Agreed! Off road and throw obstickles at them, if they cant react then they dont get their license.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The "pleeease", was a little sarcasm.
I totally should have clarified and i apologize for not doing so...road course....asphalt. Not taking anything away from dirt, for it can be extremely demanding. It can be absolutely educational for sure.
For a fun side note.....
Nurburgring Nordschleife would be King of all Kings to learn or train on.
I'd give anything to have that course here in the states. My GOD, who wouldn't, right?!?!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

OUCH! He better thank his lucky stars!! It would be difficult for someone in a car surviving a head on crash let alone someone on a motorcycle. I can't believe this guy survived.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hard to tell from the video, but he may have suffered from "target fixation." When going around a curve, you actually have to look ahead where you want to go. The bike will naturally follow where ever you are looking. Often times, motorcyclist get fixated on something such as the firetruck in opposing lane and instead of avoiding it, they actually are drawn to it instead of completing the turning arc.

There is another video that I saw last year where a squid was speeding and riding recklessly. He had his GoPro on and unfortunately, filmed his own demise. He was doing about 90mph or more and a car turned in front of him and that is all she wrote. His parents posted the video of his wreck as a public service announcement about riding recklessly. What was messed up is that you could hear the audio and as soon as you saw the car turning into his path, heard the guy say "Oh Sh..." didn't even finish the last word before impact. The speed limit where the accident occurred was like 40 mph or so. IF he wasn't speeding, there is no way he would have hit the car as he would have had plenty of time to stop.

I love to ride, but you have to stay focused. Far too many guys get caught up in the speed and thrill instead of just enjoying the ride. You don't have a lot of room for error when out in the streets on your bike.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
Good point.
Mix that in with not being confident in your skills and/or confidence in the machine (leaning, throttle, braking, clutch and gear work) and you got yourself a Hurricane Katrina.

edit on R2015pm25C2015000000Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:04:15 -050015America/Chicago by RoadCourse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Nurburgring Nordschleife

Done it on a beaten up TDM (850)

But! Not a place to learn, while flat out on my TDM I was several times blown sideways by Porche's coming past so fast I felt like I was standing still! I could only manage 130mph on the TDM.
The house where I rented a room for the weekend was owned by a guy who tested BMW's, he took myself and my brother out for a meal one evening and in the back of his van was a test bmw, unfortunately he wouldn't let us take photographs.
We got to see some of his test footage of him going around the ring on test bikes, all I can say is WOW!!!
Listening to a bike being tested was like listening to a bike being tortured

<<   2 >>

join