It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. Sheriff's Deputies Convicted For Beating Handcuffed, Bleeding Jail Visitor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well, this is something we don't see very often: a cop actually being convicted of a crime. Most are rarely charged, and if they are they are rarely convicted, or their charges severely reduced.

Glad there's some justice *somewhere.* Of course, how much they serve remains to be seen. LINK

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies were convicted Wednesday in federal court in the beating of a bloody, handcuffed jail visitor and an attempt to cover it up.

The three face at least six years in prison when sentenced Nov. 2.

Finally, someone gets it:

"An individual who carries a badge and a gun and who uses their authority and power to violate people's constitutional rights — as was the case here — is one of the worst kinds of criminals and should be brought to justice," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Lizabeth Rhodes, one of the three prosecutors on the case.

Deputies Noel Womack and Pantamitr Zunggeemoge reached plea agreements with prosecutors just before trial and testified that Carrillo was handcuffed the entire beating. They said everyone agreed to tell the same lie about what happened.

. . .

When writing his report justifying the use of force, Womack knew he would have to lie and say Carrillo wasn't handcuffed, according to the statement.

These people are here to uphold the law and their DUTY is to uphold people's constitutional rights and to NOT lie to cover their own backsides.

But once again, only a "few" bad apples:

Nearly two-dozen members of the department, including the former second-in-command, have been charged with crimes ranging from beatings to obstruction of justice.

It stands to reason that this happens FAR more often and in FAR more places than people want to admit.

THIS is the problem with our police departments.
edit on 25-6-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Glad to see justice will be served. Meanwhile, all the murders they commited will go unpunished, while on paid leave-disgusting!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

One bad apple spoils the bunch.
At least that is what I was told as a child.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It looks like they are going to need to clean up the would be cleaner uppers big time. It must be bedlam in that place, and I would not like to be an inmate in a place that beats up the visitors...sorry beats up the visitors when handcuffed!
What happened to peoples moral fibre, more so when police officers.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It's too bad that clear cut cases such as this are not paraded around the msm as much as falsified "hands up don't shoot" cases are.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Glad they're getting what they deserve.

Here's the flaw in your post, though--I have worked directly with AUSAs, police, special agents, and anyone else who was in the room at the time in the LA district attorney's building. Every single one of them were just blabbing on to each other about the new corrupt thing that this attorney did, or this officer did, or that official did (which amazed me, as I'd never met any of them before that time).

Corruption in L.A.--and really, any major city in America--is a real problem that gets brushed under the rug. Your flaw is in using those types of places and assuming that it represents the whole of America. It's an urban mentality--people who never live in 'real America,' as I call it, have no idea that it's actually different outside of places that have more concrete than flora and fauna.

L.A. law enforcement and politics do not represent average America, and while there is obviously heavy corruption in areas like this, and Chicago, and D.C., and other large metropolitan areas, there are 100s more small towns and cities where this type of behavior is not found or tolerated.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Yes, there are urban places in every single state and in every major city, so it stands to reason this it does exist there, in which case that would make it pretty average (although to varying degrees).

Point is, it doesn't appear that it's simply an anomaly.

Hell, even in smaller jurisdiction I imagine it exists to a degree as well. While there are plenty of small town across America where it doesn't happen and isn't tolerated, there are smalls towns where it does happen.

It's everywhere to a degree—big city, small town—and it likely always will be.

Unfortunately, it does get brushed under the rug.

Gladly, some *are* getting what they deserve.

top topics

join