It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slain Pastor Voted To Put Confederate Flag Where It Is

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
A sad irony.

Seems the South Carolina State Senator slain the other day voted in favor of the current status of the now ultra-controversial Confederate Flag that flies near the S.C. Capitol building.

My God.

I think that legislation was a compromise?

Maybe at the time, the Flag wasn't as "disliked" as now?

While the mainstream media is decrying the fact that the Charleston shooting victim’s body was carried past a Confederate flag today, the good pastor may not have found it all that offensive.

In 2000, during his first term in the South Carolina State Senate, Pinckney actually voted in favor of H5028, the May 2000 compromise which placed the flag at its current location.

H5028 related to THE PERMANENT PLACEMENT OF THE UNITED STATES FLAG, THE SOUTH CAROLINA STATE FLAG, AND THE SOUTH CAROLINA INFANTRY BATTLE FLAG OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA — Pinckney’s name is among the “93 yeas.” …

Slain Pastor Voted To Put Confederate Flag Where It Is

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Incorrect. The vote Allen West highlights, he misrepresents as the final vote to put the flag where it stands today, it was not. It was a vote for a "second reading or other consideration" Pinckney didn't actually vote on the final Bill.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I have mixed feelings about the flag. As a black guy who grew up in the the heart of the south, the flag never really bothered me. I'm a country boy at heart and the good ole boys I grew up around I think deep down just viewed the flag as symbolic of rebellious southern pride and culture, not necessarily supporting it as symbol of oppression.

I'm proud of my southern heritage and culture. However, with that said, you cannot deny the flag has been used as a symbol of racism. With that said, whether or not southern states or a few good ole boys fly the flag really doesn't affect my life one bit. Personally, I think the black community has bigger issues to worry about and this is just a distraction.

I used to say that I liked the flag flying because it served a reminder of what my family went through and to never forget. However, I can understand older blacks being really offended. My parents were around at the height of Jim Crow, segregation, and the civil rights protests of the 50s and 60s, so I get why they find it so offensive.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Incorrect. The vote Allen West highlights, he misrepresents as the final vote to put the flag where it stands today, it was not. It was a vote for a "second reading or other consideration" Pinckney didn't actually vote on the final Bill.

Good find and a Gold Star !!

Now let's find the actual roll call and actual language.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Honestly though, even if he did vote in favor of it... how is that supposed to change the conversation or the minds of the people that have wanted it removed from government property since the thing went up in what 1964? This debate existed before Pinckney was a member of SC House or Senate and before his tragic murder.

Allen West should be ashamed of himself... again.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Here's a link to the history of the Bill. It's a lot to get through and even their links don't link right to the subject matter but of everything that happened in session that day... so good luck.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
When in Rome...

top topics

join