It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new way to lower Gas prices !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Gas stations only make pennys on a gallon of gas.
They make money on soda,coffee, snacks, and on other merchandise.
We can't stop buying gas , So here is what we do.
We stop buying anything but gas from stations.
This will hurt business owners .Business owners will catch on to boycott .
Owners will stop selling gas, this will hurt big oil.
Big oil will have two choices , buy or build stations and operate at a loss' or
Lower gas prices .
I think this could work, How about it ATS ?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DEANORULES24

Interesting thoughts. I know your heart is in the right place, but this is a lot more complex than you indicate.

Also, gas stations have replaced grocery stores, especially in poor neighborhoods. People get most of their groceries from gas stations now, especially people on food stamps. THese gas stations know this, and make a lot of money off these people.

So, no, getting things other than gas at gas stations is not gonna happen.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

You know how much money those "pennies" bring in? Do you have any idea how much gas is purchased at even small gas stations daily?

I like the idea but it won't work...People are too lazy to go somewhere else down the street instead of picking up that bottle of Pepsi at the gas station...

Also, big oil owns gas stations....Ever heard of Shell stations? How about Chevron stations? Many many more...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

That won't work because the gas companies for the most part don't own the stores. They have independent owners. So you are hurting the small guy with that. Just saying.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Just as well as any other ideas that implement large numbers people working together for a common goal. Do you see people boycotting Wal-mart? Apple? The IRS? The 1%ers, corporate america? Nope.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The big grocery store chains have gas station right on site and give you discounts on your gas for every dollar you spend in the store. And also gas station that might have a mini mart attached will also honor some of the big grocery store points.

Man, if poor people are buying their groceries at mini mart gas stations then they are really getting screwed big time, the prices are outrageous.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Hidinout

well when you have no vehicle, are disabled, and the corner store is only a walk away that takes EBT, what other choice do they have?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think the only way to try and influence gas prices is for everybody to only make truely essential journies so the petrol companies have a continual fall in people buying their product. It happened last year. Do not believe all the lies they came out with, glut in oil production and so forth. The price fell because they had pitched the price too high and had to lull the customers with temparary lower prices but they've crept back up again even though the producers said that the price would drop lower and the low price would last for a few years.
Once they find customers aren't willing to pay their inflated prices they will have to drop their prices.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

Interesting thoughts. I know your heart is in the right place, but this is a lot more complex than you indicate.

Also, gas stations have replaced grocery stores, especially in poor neighborhoods. People get most of their groceries from gas stations now, especially people on food stamps. THese gas stations know this, and make a lot of money off these people.

So, no, getting things other than gas at gas stations is not gonna happen.

I don't understand this. Have grocery stores closed up and left or something? Why would you go to a place that that costs more if you live on a fixed income?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

that would only hurt independent station owners. Big Oil will always get their way. If you want to hurt them, develop a way to move people without gasoline.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm guessing that the usual gas price hike with July 4th is behind this thread.

Ours jumped overnight as well. Living right at the Canadian border makes it even worse. Their big day is July 1st. Almost every weekend we get a little spike.

I get pissed every year around this time....LMAO

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Won't work.

What you will be doing is hurting the small business owners that own the convenience store. The store will then either go bankrupt or possibly be bought out by the corporation. What you will have done is eliminated the jobs of those people working at that particular station.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
One thing is sure, supply and demand has no influence on the price of gas.

www.cnbc.com...

You to can profit just like wall street if you make the effort to learn the speculation game.

www.investopedia.com...

Prices may fluctuate but don't expect fairness in the system.
edit on 25-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24
Gas stations only make pennys on a gallon of gas.
They make money on soda,coffee, snacks, and on other merchandise.
We can't stop buying gas , So here is what we do.
We stop buying anything but gas from stations.
This will hurt business owners .Business owners will catch on to boycott .
Owners will stop selling gas, this will hurt big oil.
Big oil will have two choices , buy or build stations and operate at a loss' or
Lower gas prices .
I think this could work, How about it ATS ?

Noooo... this would be exactly what Big Oil would want. For decades they have been trying to get rid of the independently-owned gas stations. They want consumers buying gas directly from one of their corporate-owned stations. In fact on the techniques Big Oil using to squeeze the private operators out of business is the "price shock," where they manipulate a spike in prices which private owners are forced to pass along right away (or suffer major losses), but corporate stations can delay those price jumps and reap new customers.

Independent Stations Again Fighting Big Oil

Believe me, hurting the independent stations with their attached grocery or convenient marts won't hurt Big Oil at all. The only real solution is just not buying as much gas.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If we all decided to start riding bikes tomorrow the world would be saved in 24 hours.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Would your theory on how to reduce prices work with tomatoes?

No. You see your logic is flawed.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Many poor neighborhoods do not have grocery stores. They have gas stations with convenience stores. As a poster mentioned above, many of these people do not own a car or have a way to get around. So they do their grocery shopping at gas stations/convenience stores. Yes, things are outrageously expensive, but for many, there is no alternative.

I work at my county human services department, and I see how people use their EBT cards. Much of their shopping, particularly if they're disabled, is at gas stations/convenience stores. It's really sad. Most of the mom and pop grocery stores went bankrupt. There are always grocery stores off a major highway near the suburbs, but not in the inner cities where most of the poor live.

So as I said earlier, my point is that thinking people will only buy gas at gas stations is naïve. These places are "convenient" for many of the poor on EBT. Sad but true.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It would suck, but I'd pay $10 a gal if they just told the truth......
"We got it.....you need it.....pay up."
I could respect that a 1000× more than the excuses they give.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

It seems to me that the same agencies that hand out EBT money ought to open up EBT-only grocery stores in these neighborhoods in order to maximize these people's benefits. These stores would be able to buy in bulk and pass the savings off to the people on EBT.

Wait, that would make to much sense though, never mind....
edit on 25-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

That is a terrific idea! Makes sense and all, but I hear you. Never gonna happen. That is a damn shame.

top topics

join