It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Pulls Civil War Games From App Store Over Confederate Flag

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Heh. Glad we can finally see eye to eye. Yep, Apple knows EXACTLY what they are doing.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
isn't this whole thing getting a wee bit ridiculous?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Video gaming is a hobby of mine that I can get pretty worked up over. I really don't like the thought of it being messed with in the least bit no matter how insignificant and no matter the reason. It never even crossed my mind it was a marketing ploy. *sigh*

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Yea, see as someone who dabbled in the fighting game community for a while, I am INTRICATELY aware of these devious marketing ploys. That's how I know so much about that Street Fighter x Tekken debacle. So when a company (especially one with a past like Apple's, I DID bring up the point about self contained hardware designed to make you pay to make them fix it instead of fix it yourself) does something like this, I can see the dollar signs in their eyes from a mile away.

For this specific case, I'm just going to step out of the way and let the train roll on by since I'm going to get something I want out of the deal (some of those "games" taken off the market).

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Oh that's nothing. The mayor of Memphis wants to dig up a Confederate General and his wife. Look it up.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Someone in Lexington, KY spray painted a statue of a confederate general overnight.

Statue Of Confederate General Sprayed With Graffiti In Downtown Lexington

The insanity sure isn't localized.
edit on 6/26/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Someone in Lexington, KY spray painted a statue of a confederate general overnight.

I think it needs to be decommisioned.

We dont need statues of racist generals who fought for slavery in this day and age.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ketsuko

I've got you beat. I HAVE lived in the South. Two separate Southern states for that matter, one more if you count me living in Oklahoma within 45 minutes of Texas. I was FORCED to study the Civil War constantly while in school in the south (so I am VERY familiar with the State's Rights argument). I think I know more about that time period (and the period leading up to it) then any other period of American history.

Saying State's Rights is just glossing over the slavery thing. Calling it a catalyst ignores all the heated debate (and various slave rebellions, John Brown was the man by the way!) that happened leading up to it. The only way I'd accept someone describing the reasons the South seceded from the Union as State's rights is if someone says this, "It's about State's Rights, but mainly about Slavery".

Bull#. FORCED, so much you felt the need to capitalize the word? Perhaps being a wee bit DRAMATIC about being FORCED. Don't you actually mean you were taught the normal curriculum?

You do realize that everyone learns about the Civil War in school right? Not FORCED to learn.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yea, see as someone who dabbled in the fighting game community for a while, I am INTRICATELY aware of these devious marketing ploys. That's how I know so much about that Street Fighter x Tekken debacle. So when a company (especially one with a past like Apple's, I DID bring up the point about self contained hardware designed to make you pay to make them fix it instead of fix it yourself) does something like this, I can see the dollar signs in their eyes from a mile away.

For this specific case, I'm just going to step out of the way and let the train roll on by since I'm going to get something I want out of the deal (some of those "games" taken off the market).

So "Company of Heroes" should be taken off the market because one can play as Germans and there are Nazi flags in it? That's pretty moronic.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

I think it needs to be decommisioned.

We dont need statues of racist generals who fought for slavery in this day and age.

Yeah, let's destroy historical artifacts because some people get butt-hurt.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: raedar

Places have banned the Nazi flag in games like in Germany. They wanted to ban it so they did.
But I have not seen anyone wanting to ban it just remove it from the goods they want to sell.
To be honest I don't understand why anyone would want to have a flag of the losing side which stood for slavery.

Again they are not banning it from history and you are just hyperbolling, some have chosen just not to use imagery which is associated with racism.

I want in a game about the GD civil war were its would be wierd not to see it!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
In all these flag threads has anyone mentioned civil war reenactors and how it may affect that?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
isn't this whole thing getting a wee bit ridiculous?

yes

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I hadn't even thought of that...

I wonder what flag the Rebels will use?? A nice smiley face?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

They will never stop being as authentic as they can be. Certain groups of re-enactors are some of the most passionate people about what they do and I don't foresee them ever compromising on the accuracy.
edit on 6/26/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

a reply to: seagull

They will never stop being as authentic as they can be. Certain groups of re-enactors are some of the most passionate people about what they do and I don't foresee them ever compromising on the accuracy.

We just had a large group of re-enacters at our town, they reenacted the Lincoln funeral, I don't think people realize these people come from around the world

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
In all these flag threads has anyone mentioned civil war reenactors and how it may affect that?

They don't care 'cause racism.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

They vandalized the Confederate Memorial in park in St. Louis, too.

This is getting out of hand, and in a roundabout way, Dylann Roof may get his wish after all.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

I have in a couple of places, but maybe not here. I know I have on several places.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: raedar

Places have banned the Nazi flag in games like in Germany. They wanted to ban it so they did.
But I have not seen anyone wanting to ban it just remove it from the goods they want to sell.
To be honest I don't understand why anyone would want to have a flag of the losing side which stood for slavery.

Again they are not banning it from history and you are just hyperbolling, some have chosen just not to use imagery which is associated with racism.

I agree this is the only flag that mattered. The Confederacy was all about slavery and racism why would anyone want to wave it around in this day and age. . . Because they are racists period.
The Confederate flag represents slavery and racism period check out the historical record, the Condeferate flag we know became popular in the 40s-50s.

It was adopted because racists were unhappy they wernt able to lynch African Americans anymore due to the law changing. They also rioted like wild savages waving thier flag. Its all about race.

edit on 26-6-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join