It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK bans teaching of creationism in any school that receives public funding

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Which part of that did you think backed your position. The part where we made it the official national motto??? In the 50s? The part where it was overwhelmingly demanded that our currency reference god?

Or is your only point that it wasn't always on there. If so you should have just cited a yahoo answers page, the page you did cite shows over and over again that this is a country that TRUSTS IN GOD.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

Maybe because of your stupid relationship with religion (not God btw totally different) is the reasons US education is so bad?.
Remind me never to visit Maryland sounds like Taliban controlled Afghanistan.
edit on 25-6-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Thought you might find this interesting.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — A bookkeeper named Roy Torcaso, who happened to be an atheist, refused to declare that he believed in God in order to serve as a notary public in Maryland. His case went all the way to the Supreme Court, and in 1961 the court ruled unanimously for Mr. Torcaso, saying states could not have a “religious test” for public office. But 53 years later, Maryland and six other states still have articles in their constitutions saying people who do not believe in God are not eligible to hold public office. Maryland’s Constitution still says belief in God is a requirement even for jurors and witnesses.

Article
You can get out of jury duty, after all.

edit on 6/25/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Thanks for that. So it has been challenged, and one person won. I think i asked that question, genuinely. Couldn't make them change the language. I'm done here. I'll make a thread sometimes in the next week when I get to a PC. I'm not copy pasting this drivel, I'll put something more coherent.

At least we can see that several peoples reading comprehension is lacking, as it clearly shows what that simple sentence meant.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Wow then Maryland the Christian theocratic state...
Doesn't make your original statements true still though do they?.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Which part of that did you think backed your position. The part where we made it the official national motto??? In the 50s? The part where it was overwhelmingly demanded that our currency reference god? Or is your only point that it wasn't always on there. If so you should have just cited a yahoo answers page, the page you did cite shows over and over again that this is a country that TRUSTS IN GOD.

dude. politics.

The Reverend M. R. Watkinson, in a letter dated November 13, 1861, petitioned the Treasury Department to add a statement recognizing "Almighty God in some form in our coins" in order to "relieve us from the ignominy of heathenism."At least part of the motivation was to declare that God was on the Union side of the Civil War.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 25-6-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst
a reply to: Klassified

Thanks for that. So it has been challenged, and one person won. I think i asked that question, genuinely. Couldn't make them change the language. I'm done here. I'll make a thread sometimes in the next week when I get to a PC. I'm not copy pasting this drivel, I'll put something more coherent.

At least we can see that several peoples reading comprehension is lacking, as it clearly shows what that simple sentence meant.

The only reason I am aware of it is because I am an atheist, and I did some looking into those states that still have these archaic laws requiring belief in a deity to hold any kind of public office. Only one person needs to win for precedent to be set.
edit on 6/25/2015 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: Sremmos80

No you are right...No creationism right.....So here is evolution...

Nothing...

Nothing....

Poof, planets, sun, everything in perfect alignment somehow...

POOF, something forms from nothing on a rock called earth...

POOF, that nothing turned into a little something somehow...

That something evoled into an intelligent human being...

My lord, how retarded this sounds compared to creationism is just absolutely astounding when saying it out loud....

You have no idea what evolution means or even what the theory itself describes.

It makes me depressed to think people like you actually exist in this world...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

I guess I was a little late to the party, however. Krazyshot and others have already brought these points up and they are definitely in the right here.

you need not have attended at all. this thread will die long before victory is conceded to anyone. its just another endless pointless argument.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Typical. A landmark day in the progression of Britain and the thread gets turned into a religious debate and the history of America and it's constitution.

Creationism is a great concept, and is integral to theology debates in higher education. That's where it belongs., not in primary or secondary schools as mainstream thinking. So proud to be British.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
fantastic! science in the classroom, theology in the church. how it should be.

again i see the old "it's just a theory" argument..

it is not "just a theory", it is a scientific theory. there is a difference in definition here.

a scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

a regular theory is just something someone made up to explain what they don't understand, i.e. "creationism".

ignorance of scientific methods and terminology disqualifies anyone from passing judgement on scientific findings. if more science were learnt in school, there would be more intelligent debate on its subjects than we have here.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This has been very informative. Those links were great and I've learned a great many things.

I was wrong about several things. I'll make sure that makes it into my thread.

Looks like you taught me a few things anyhow krazy, and I thank you for that.

This country is more dead than I thought. Good things it's still full of great people. The thread will take longer than I thought, and it's low on the list this week, but I'll get to it.

Just wanted to say I was indeed incorrect about a few things, in ways I didn't forsee.

I'm not afraid of being wrong. I am afraid that there is no where free left to flee.

I'm just glad that a majority of Americans would never elect a (professed) atheist. (Poll from one of the links shows it is the single worst quality a candidate can have in the US, as it should be)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

So you gonna say sorry like you were demanding Krazy to do?.

Oh and that is what is up with the world people electing others who believe in any religion.
Do you want a theocracy?.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: Prezbo369

Yeah follow suit....

“every young person is entitled to a high quality, broad and balanced education. This includes in biology, where evolution is a central topic and is vital to understanding how human life came to be

High quality? haha....Yeah high quality teaching kids the THEORY of evolution is more "scientific" than creationism....If you are basing it on "science", then don't teach anything about any form of how we all came to be, because there is none!

Science holds no weight to where or how we came to be.....I feel bad for the kids that really want the truth and are now going to be forced into hearing a "theory" that isn't real.....God is real, but if the school system doesn't want kids to learn about God, then they should abandon it all and let them form their own opinion on how we came to be instead of being force-fed a joke theory that is wrong...

Blast away! I believe in God....

You can believe in anything you want just do not force it on students while their heads are soft and impressionable.
They separate science and theology classes in private schools for a reason!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst
This has been very informative. Those links were great and I've learned a great many things.

I was wrong about several things. I'll make sure that makes it into my thread.

Looks like you taught me a few things anyhow krazy, and I thank you for that.

This country is more dead than I thought. Good things it's still full of great people. The thread will take longer than I thought, and it's low on the list this week, but I'll get to it.

Just wanted to say I was indeed incorrect about a few things, in ways I didn't forsee.

I'm not afraid of being wrong. I am afraid that there is no where free left to flee.

I'm just glad that a majority of Americans would never elect a (professed) atheist. (Poll from one of the links shows it is the single worst quality a candidate can have in the US, as it should be)

Okay, are you saying that if children were not exposed to religion for the first 16~18 years of their life and then exposed to the "good Book(s)" that they would suddenly grasp the concept as a thirsty man grabs for a glass of water?

I think not; anyway, the American electoral/political system is nothing more advanced than a high school election for class president and best dressed student (well maybe not as good as the high school system).
edit on 25-6-2015 by notmyrealname because: fro is not for

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
Typical. A landmark day in the progression of Britain and the thread gets turned into a religious debate and the history of America and it's constitution.

Creationism is a great concept, and is integral to theology debates in higher education. That's where it belongs., not in primary or secondary schools as mainstream thinking. So proud to be British.

its amusing to think that UK reached this milestone before america when the pilgrims first departed from england in search of religious freedom.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Lol you can bet If they appeared in the USA today they would get the first boat back to blighty lol.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: rossacus

its amusing to think that UK reached this milestone before america when the pilgrims first departed from england in search of religious freedom.

What's even more amusing is that a place with a decreasing minority of religious people and a myriad of other social issues really thinks that this law really will make a difference.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Time will tell.
You nor I can predict the future but I think it is a good thing anyhow sends a good message to the kids.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: NavyDoc

Time will tell.
You nor I can predict the future but I think it is a good thing anyhow sends a good message to the kids.

How?

You already said that most of the kingdom is nonreligious.
You already said how those schools are a minority.
Other than a feel good law where politicians can beat their chests about "doing something," how is it going to make a difference?

Spend a little more time in Swansea fighting heroin use and you've got something.

edit on 25-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join