It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watchdog reveals evidence was destroyed during probe of IRS targeting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well....my guess is yet again, nothing will come of this. I think this stinks like hell. These people should have to pay for their BS. Someone needs to take the blame. They just let them go with nothing more than a slap on the wrist and likely a nice fat job outside the agency somewhere. I hope karma is alive and well and bites them all in the ass on the way to the grave.

Source

The lead government watchdog for the IRS revealed Thursday that computer evidence was erased during the investigation into the agency's targeting scandal, months after the IRS was told to preserve documents.

J. Russell George, the Treasury inspector general for tax administration, testified to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that IRS employees erased computer backup tapes shortly after officials discovered thousands of emails related to the tax agency's Tea Party scandal had been lost.

As many as 24,000 emails were lost because 422 backup tapes were "magnetically erased" around March 4, 2014.

George said his office found no direct evidence the tapes were destroyed to hide information from Congress or law enforcement. But the destruction nevertheless defied a preservation order, and is sure to raise suspicions over motive.

"We have been misled. There has been evidence that has been destroyed," committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, said Thursday.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
In all honestly, it really doesn't matter anyway. They were never go to do anything to Lerner, her boss or anyone else. It's all just a dog and pony show, trying to convince us they were doing their job. It's dragged on this long and it will drag on till it's forgotten. They will never get to the bottom of it, much less send anyone to jail or take her pension.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Just another day in Washington, sadly enough.
Happy Slappy pretend bitchfights to keep the people angry with some scandal or "-gate" while those "in power" go about their business of half smiles and backroom deals when the cameras are off.
Nothing will happen.

And everyone will get caught up in the next racial and/or LEO thing and take to their keyboards to make sure their displeasure is heard in the comments section and social media.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

These kinds of "accidents" amuse me. Older people remember the Nixon debacle over erased conversations. Back then, during impeachment proceedings, the poor secretary was blamed and complex descriptions were demonstrated showing how her task was so busy and distracting she accidentally could have erased the critical moments of conversation needed as evidence.

I captured some mages of this…

lulz…

Nowadays, its common practice to go whoops, and nobody is even questioned in even a lowly senate hearing to determine what hapended to the critical evidence. Its just "erased".

Hillary did it with her server, so regularly does the Pentagon with their lost budget expenditures, the FBI, CiA, ad infinitum..

Whats lost to posterity is the checks and balances embedded in the system per the constitution to make sure these criminals can't get away with this crap.

And everyone goes, yawn…

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
At what time will they file charges for Obstruction of Justice? This is an absolute joke and no one else would be allowed to get away with destroying evidence. If you or I tried this, we would be sitting in a jail cell.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

The IRS actively and intentionally impeded the 501c4's ability to a raise awareness against Obama and his run for President. This should be treated seriously and swiftly. No one should be above the law.

Should we all accidently erase all of our tax docs and not file taxes, what would the IRS do? Ask Wesley Snipes what happened to him.

This is a willful and intentional crime and everyone involved should feel the full weight of the law.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: warpig69
At what time will they file charges for Obstruction of Justice? This is an absolute joke and no one else would be allowed to get away with destroying evidence. If you or I tried this, we would be sitting in a jail cell.

Yeah...I can just see the IRS coming for an audit and me saying "whoops I accidentally put the receipts in the fireplace and lit it".

Wonder how that would fly?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

It is just sad to see the lack of accountability. Where I work we must follow IRS guidelines since we have access to tax information. You would not believe the hoops we have to jump through to meet IRS rules. Everything has to be documented, protected, backed up, etc. But then you see them doing this and they are not even following their own rules. It just is disheartening to see people knowingly breaking the law and getting away with it.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I agree, they should have to pay for what they've done - and it's cover up upon cover up.

It's going to take the people, the majority having enough of this kind of corrupt bullcrap and stand up and *do* something about it.

Can't be heard if nobody speaks up.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
There will be no charges. No one will be held accountable for their actions because that is how it works now. If you are one of a select few, you can actively break the law without fear of prosecution.

Lovely to know our government officials yet again proves that they are above the law.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

It makes me very suspicious that Lerner was not given immunity so that we could compel her to testify and produce all the dirt she is aware of. It would require cooperation between Ds and Rs.

This, as with most of the problems we encounter, is not ultimately about partisan politics (though the IRS specifically misused its power against Rs just as Nixon used it against the Ds), it is about the inevitable abuse of all power wherever it is placed. Remember that Nixon resigned rather than allow the impeachment to proceed thus denying the American people the full knowledge and extent of the corruption.

I don't hate Lerner so much that I would trade her criminal conviction for all of the data she is privy to.

Let's focus on the problem rather than the symptom.

Repeal the 16th.
edit on 25-6-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

You'd be screwed.
The government, corporate America, banks and the rich follow a different type of justice system than you or I. Our government is corrupt, plain and simple. Taking money from the social security fund and giving it to others who didn't pay into it or using part of it to pay other debts would be considered money laundering if you or I did it.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The oversight committee in charge already served notice to the head of the IRS that impeachment is being discussed to remove him.

new topics

top topics

join