It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Note: I am pro gun , my reason for posting this because it really got under my skin so and would like to ask for your help in countering these supposed "facts".

Also due to T&C I'll only be able to post about 5 of the ten facts and the rest are going to have to be read at the source .
The links to all the studies where the information was gathered can also be found on the site.

Thank you in advance .

Myth #1: They're coming for your guns.
Fact-check:

No one knows the exact number of guns in America, but it's clear there's no practical way to round them all up (never mind that no one in Washington is proposing this). Yet if you fantasize about rifle-toting citizens facing down the government, you'll rest easy knowing that America's roughly 80 million gun owners already have the feds and cops outgunned by a factor of around 79 to 1.

Pfft , if that pic is an accurate depiction of figures , then I would say .... When does the revolution start ?

Myth #2: Guns don't kill people—people kill people.
Fact-check:

People with more guns tend to kill more people—with guns. The states with the highest gun ownership rates have a gun murder rate 114% higher than those with the lowest gun ownership rates. Also, gun death rates tend to be higher in states with higher rates of gun ownership. Gun death rates are generally lower in states with restrictions such as assault-weapons bans or safe-storage requirements. Update: A recent study looking at 30 years of homicide data in all 50 states found that for every one percent increase in a state's gun ownership rate, there is a nearly one percent increase in its firearm homicide rate.

Myth #3: An armed society is a polite society.
Fact-check:

Drivers who carry guns are 44% more likely than unarmed drivers to make obscene gestures at other motorists, and 77% more likely to follow them aggressively.
• Among Texans convicted of serious crimes, those with concealed-handgun licenses were sentenced for threatening someone with a firearm 4.8 times more than those without.
• In states with Stand Your Ground and other laws making it easier to shoot in self-defense, those policies have been linked to a 7 to 10% increase in homicides.

Myth #4: More good guys with guns can stop rampaging bad guys.
Fact-check:

Mass shootings stopped by armed civilians in the past 30 years: 0
• Chances that a shooting at an ER involves guns taken from guards: 1 in 5

Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.
Fact-check:

Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
• 43% of homes with guns and kids have at least one unlocked firearm.
• In one experiment, one third of 8-to-12-year-old boys who found a handgun pulled the trigger.

I stated I needed your help in countering these facts , reason being , On my FB I am friends with Steven Wozniak ( yes its his real FB page) and he has been posting ,recently, allot of anti gun stuff , So I am hoping to stick it to him with counter facts. Its strange , Steven seems to be Anti police state but at the same time hes anti guns ....
Anti Gun facts ,hogwash link

Time for me to do some homework !

Thanks again !

Kap
edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: Kapusta

I got you on #4 buddy.

Uber Driver with Gun Stops Mass Shooting in Chicago

Boom ! ty ty

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
lots of gun related posts today, as i said on another post, this best sums up my opinion about guns, and why they actually do not matter.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Move this thread to the joke forum. You, pro gun LOL!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Whats with the accent and terrible overacting ?

Great points though. He just needs to improve on the delivery.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
#4. There have been several shootings stopped by armed civilians. The Uber driver in Chicago. There was a shooting in a mall a while ago, stopped by a civilian, in Colorado, I think. There must be loads of cases over 30 years.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
#4. There have been several shootings stopped by armed civilians. The Uber driver in Chicago. There was a shooting in a mall a while ago, stopped by a civilian, in Colorado, I think. There must be loads of cases over 30 years.

Michigan was the mall. May have been other mall ones.

There are truly many many of these.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Actually they looks like perfectly valid arguments and you sound like you need some fallacies to try to counter them.

Thanks for showing that you don't care about examining facts and only care about "to stick it to the anti gun guy with counter facts".

Totally what I expect from the pro-gun crowd.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I absolutely agree, he makes some very good points in his videos, but the delivery of the jokes sounds forced.
Still, that's the situation in america, people were expecting the government take over to be big and loud, but it was subtle and incremental, and guns didn't make a damn bit of difference :/

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

• Among Texans convicted of serious crimes, those with concealed-handgun licenses were sentenced for threatening someone with a firearm 4.8 times more than those without.

And an infinite amount more than those that don't carry guns .

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I'm on the fence with guns, but I'm pro education and pro morals.
Guns are powerful tools that must not be misused.

I'm sure we could study house with chainsaws and find out that they have a 100% increase in tree accidents, 25% more house fires and 75% higher feet injury.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

That is a few minutes that I will never get back!

Please, take a critical thinking class or two and watch that nonsense again….

BTW, that guy is a comedian or just someone that has read a few headlines and thinks it is funny??????

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I absolutely agree, he makes some very good points in his videos, but the delivery of the jokes sounds forced.
Still, that's the situation in america, people were expecting the government take over to be big and loud, but it was subtle and incremental, and guns didn't make a damn bit of difference :/

Yes you are actually correct in two things, legal gun owners did not do anything to prevent or fix the many atrocities of today's society; neither did the non-gun owners however one group has an option to and one does not. - and - Legal gun owners are exercising a tremendous amount of self control by not preventing what has happen yet.
edit on 25-6-2015 by notmyrealname because: addition / subtraction of keyboard strokes

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman
Actually they looks like perfectly valid arguments and you sound like you need some fallacies to try to counter them.

Thanks for showing that you don't care about examining facts and only care about "to stick it to the anti gun guy with counter facts".

Totally what I expect from the pro-gun crowd.

umm, I believe we are trying to establish the examination of the facts ,are we not ?

did you get a chance to click on the site ? It's obvious Bias , with banners of anti NRA plastered on it .

Why would i not fact check ? to make sure the sources are not bias as well .

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

did you get a chance to click on the site ?

Yes and I thought all these arguments were quite solid and the statistics supporting them interesting.

Much more than the usual "Urrh dem will try to grab ar guns!!!" nonsense plaguing gun threads.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman

did you get a chance to click on the site ?

Yes and I thought all these arguments were quite solid and the statistics supporting them interesting.

Much more than the usual "Urrh dem will try to grab ar guns!!!" nonsense plaguing gun threads.

Well , you have to agree the measures placed on owning guns is getting outrageous.

Some of those facts on the site seem inaccurate, like #4 for example . Also a few of the sites where they grabbed the "statistics" from seem to have a Bias as well .

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Well , you have to agree the measures placed on owning guns is getting outrageous.

You have my attention. Could you develop please because I don't see how it is getting outrageous.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Note: I am pro gun , my reason for posting this because it really got under my skin so and would like to ask for your help in countering these supposed "facts".

Also due to T&C I'll only be able to post about 5 of the ten facts and the rest are going to have to be read at the source .
The links to all the studies where the information was gathered can also be found on the site.

Thank you in advance .

you are misunderstanding and misstating some things, example, the argument about guns lowering homicide rates is wrong, the argument is actually that guns lower violent crime rates, it isn't argued that outlawed guns makes for less gun crimes, what is argued is more guns make for less violent crimes (including the non-gun ones)

also, i personally witnessed a mass shooting stopped in its tracks thanks to an armed citizen in a public mall during rush time hours in portland oregon at clackamas square mall, it was in the news, so i know for a fact thats bull# that none have ever been prevented,

i wont even bother with your other "facts" since you have already missed the first half of them,

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Oh my lord so much misinformation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join