It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes trade 'fast track,' handing Obama a major victory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TomLawless
a reply to: tkwasny

Thank you for this.

If this is for real, it means US law trumps all. Best news I've read all day.

It's in an amendment by Ryan of Wisconsin that is in the passed bill. Read here:

amendments-rules.house.gov...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Some Americans? Or actually constitutionally familiar ones? reply to: Thorneblood

edit on 24-6-2015 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ryan can go pound sand then
Every one in congress is a goddamn criminal...and id be willing to debate them on that

a reply to: tkwasny

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Please tell me how a trade agreement that started with countries like New Zealand and Chile is a threat to the future of our country and will end with Obama being a dictator? It's #ing New Zealand. There isnt a country on this list of parties involved that is really a threat to us or our way of life.

As for the secrecy, chances are that has a lot to do with the general mentality of the US for the past ten years. If the Republicans are on board now then they would also be on board when our next President is elected. That alone should tell you there will be no dictatorships.....why would they keep Obama in power?

edit on 24-6-2015 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Many theories say it's the corporations that are the threat, not the countries.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yea, i so greatly fear the Motion Picture Association of America. While I may generally agree that there could be some unnamed corporation that will doom all mankind none of those mentioned so far are likely to do any more damage then they have already. Oil, Drugs and Entertainment. Isn't that what America is all about in the first place?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think I predicted this:

wasn't hard to predict

The big boys put on the pressure when it looked like it was going down but I knew they would come through: bribes, threats, the elite corporatists ALWAYS get what they want!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Come on man...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Come on Man what? It's NEW ZEALAND!

What is everyone worried about, an invasion of Hobbits?

The return of Smaug?

Look if you want ot know why it was secret then the answer is actually kinda obvious. Republicans and Corporations were working with Obama on a Trade Deal, that goes against the narrative that Fox News has been trying to shove down our throats for so very long. Furthermore i really have a hard time finding anything truly nefarious about a deal that only required $1 million in bribes. That number should indicate just how benign this will end up being.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Wouldn't it be something if the TPP actually works for the good of the majority of Citizens everywhere (assuming those pacts actually become valid).

American legislation should work for the good of the American people. If it hurts Americans to help others I don't see that as being a particularly good thing.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

originally posted by: tkwasny
Snip from page 103 of the actual document passed that the president is going to sign.

Just maybe there is some protection for US law standing above all else. I'm absolutely shocked as I thought the bill was a sellout. Obama reads this and he'll veto it for sure.

SEC. 108. SOVEREIGNTY.
4 (a) UNITED STATES LAW TO PREVAIL IN EVENT OF
5 CONFLICT.—No provision of any trade agreement entered
6 into under section 103(b), nor the application of any such
7 provision to any person or circumstance, that is incon-
8 sistent with any law of the United States, any State of
9 the United States, or any locality of the United States
10 shall have effect.
11 (b) AMENDMENTS OR MODIFICATIONS OF UNITED
12 STATES LAW.—No provision of any trade agreement en-
13 tered into under section 103(b) shall prevent the United
14 States, any State of the United States, or any locality of
15 the United States from amending or modifying any law
16 of the United States, that State, or that locality (as the
17 case may be).
Do you really think Obama will not sign this? Or are you just wishful thinking?
I think he will and I think this was his purpose all along, to be the last president and first dictator of the U.S.A.

LOL How's he going to be a dictator? He has less than a year & a half in office left and he can't even run again. Also, the fact that he needed the majority of Republicans in both chambers of Congress to even get this far refutes the whole "dictator" angle. A true dictator simply makes a decision & it gets implemented. I don't mind exaggerations but let's at least make them believable.

As for the new trade agreements, can't say I'm surprised. Both parties have worked together on this from the beginning. Daddy Bush negotiated NAFTA while Clinton passed & implemented it. Clinton negotiated China's entrance into the World Trade Organization while Dubya implemented it & outsourced the jobs to China. Obama's negotiating & passing TPP, and like clockwork, his successor will implement it. This will happen regardless of the political party elected. Just as both parties routinely pass other free trade agreements while distracting the public with wedge issues.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TomLawless

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: xuenchen
In other words, get ready for foreign pressure on U.S. policies.

Being on the receiving end forever....... ain't Karma a bitch?

I understand, that, being Canadian, it's funny to watch our country burn.

As a moderator, though? Maybe you should show a little more class. To some of us, this is akin to a national tragedy.

I was referring to the US gov't screwing with other's politics. They're all up in our, so the "Karma" comment.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

originally posted by: intrepid

Obama and most Republican leaders say U.S. products must reach broader markets.

Bipartisan legislation? It's about frickin time. Congrats to both.

Proof that people can be screwed from both the left and right... At the same time.

Isn't there a law against that?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So, we've developed fast-tracking now as a congressional tool.

Not having its contents available for debate . . . or amendments.

Gotta love the fact that corporate donations keep the senators and congressmen in the black . . or is it blackout ?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
We have literally hundreds of trade agreements. They are always negotiated in secret like any treaty. As we know no treaty can trump US law. That is just the way it is. Often these treaties are copied from US law. Now if I were on of smaller poorer countries in this thing I am sure the big economic powers are taking advantage of me and that is where one would have to look at the costs vs benefits. For the US? This sort of thing is a slam dunk. We will get ours you can be sure of that.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I honestly and truly want to believe what you're saying here. It's rational and well stated. However, I'm getting a sinking, NAFTA/GATS feeling from this whole thing.

It's obviously going to cost more jobs, hence the need for the TAA (I hate all of these acronyms). How much more job loss can this nation withstand? We're already at our lowest job participation rate since the mid seventies.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join