It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dylann Roof Was Influenced by a White Power Group Subsidized by American Tax Dollars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm not sure how many of these groups are registered by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, but it begs the question, why?

As I delve into the tradegy that happened in Charleston, I wonder, where did the young man who committed the brutal act get his ideals from; his radical and twisted mindset, his notions of white supremacy and race that ultimately radicalized him and eventually turned him into a killer.

Having browsed around the last few days on the net, amongst the debate going on over the flag and other topics surrounding this issue, one thing kept catching my eye, the one thing in my opinion that really hasn't been discussed in the debate.

When I look at this I ask myself, why? Why in the world would the federal government give a known hate group, a group that helped Dyllan Roof radicalize and turn killer; whether indirectly or not, a 501 (c) (4) status?

I'm bewildered. The Council of Conservative Citizens is one such organization. Not only is this group mentioned by Roof, this organization is subsidized by the government through tax exemptions. Meaning, our American tax dollars are working so this group and others I'm sure have a voice and platform to promote their racist, anti agenda.

I think we should have a discussion about this. Because I don't want my tax dollars promoting an agenda that is blatantly false and riddled with ridicule and hatred.

Council of Conservative Citizens

Why are these groups allowed this status? And why are we paying for it?

Source

Dylann Roof, the 21-year-old white male who massacred nine black people at Charleston, South Carolina's Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in a racially motivated hate crime, said in his manifesto that he was influenced by the white nationalist group Council of Conservative Citizens. 

On the one hand we have outrage amongst politicians, and the other subsidized groups spewing bigotry and vile with non profit status and tax exemptions. We're virtually paying them for their vitriol.

edit on 24-6-2015 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Yes, and their are a bunch more where that came from:

www.splcenter.org...

michellemalkin.com...

The Race (no, it's not racist, really... LOL)

Only in America could critics of a group called “The Race” be labeled racists. Such is the triumph of left-wing identity chauvinists, whose aggressive activists and supine abettors have succeeded in redefining all opposition as “hate.”

www.teaparty.org...

I am sure there are many many more from all ethnic groups.

The Southern Poverty Law Center counts 784 hate groups currently and don't even include most left wing groups or non-christian radical groups.

www.splcenter.org...
edit on 24-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It's not surprise since the Council for Conservative Citizens has donated plenty of times to Republican candidates.

Republican presidential candidates, GOP lawmakers and the lone black Republican in the House are returning donations from the leader of a white supremacist group cited by Charleston church murder suspect Dylann Roof or giving the money to charity.

Holt has contributed more than $60,000 to Republicans since 2010, including several White House hopefuls, Federal Election Commission records show.

Link

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You realize that the Southern Poverty Law Center itself is more or less a hate group?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Out of the 784, how many have non profit status and subsidies. Perhaps a evaluation of such groups by the IRS would be helpful.

Providing a platform for these groups, let alone subsidies is ridiculous. How do we rid ourselves of this ignorance if we sponsor it?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You realize that the Southern Poverty Law Center itself is more or less a hate group?

You beat me to it. There was a time when they did monitor the KKK and certain paramilitary groups but when business got slack they needed to keep finding more "hate groups" to justify their existence. Think of them as DHS lite. Creating terrorists one webpage at a time.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I certainly didn't realize that - can you explain?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

Out of the 784, how many have non profit status and subsidies. Perhaps a evaluation of such groups by the IRS would be helpful.

Providing a platform for these groups, let alone subsidies is ridiculous. How do we rid ourselves of this ignorance if we sponsor it?

Don't worry. Lois Lerner will get right on it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Only "conservatives" can be hate groups, duh.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's a good one...lol.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I'm not nit picking about conservatives. The question is about one group in particular, and possibly others receiving tax payer money to spew non sense, and whether or not we should be doing this.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I'm not nit picking about conservatives. The question is about one group in particular, and possibly others receiving tax payer money to spew non sense, and whether or not we should be doing this.

First of all, only a liberal equates keeping some of your money with a subsidy.

Secondly, there are a lot of PAC that follow rules and get to be tax exempt, left and right.

Thirdly, "evil racist" is thrown about a bit too often and usually applied to people the left disagrees with politically.

Fourthly, I think it's kinda gross that political people are trying to use the blood of the people killed by this madman to push their political agenda.
edit on 24-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Look man, I'm not trying to make this a left right, liberal conservative issue. It's about the group cited by Roof in his manifesto, and it's influence on his beliefs, which goes by a conservative name.

If in fact they are receiving subsidies, and they are, someone is paying for it, it isn't free. If it isn't you or I then it's our government. Either way, regardless of whatever group it is, should they be sponsored to promote ignorance; in this case it helped spawn a murderer.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Look man, I'm not trying to make this a left right, liberal conservative issue. It's about the group cited by Roof in his manifesto, and it's influence on his beliefs, which goes by a conservative name.

If in fact they are receiving subsidies, and they are, someone is paying for it, it isn't free. If it isn't you or I then it's our government. Either way, regardless of whatever group it is, should they be sponsored to promote ignorance; in this case it helped spawn a murderer.

So how are you going to equitably squash political speech?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Say what you want, but don't do it on the dime and status of a tax exempt non profit platform. We're not going to live in a perfect world, however, elevating ignorance using this tactic and receiving the go ahead is splitting hairs in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Say what you want, but don't do it on the dime and status of a tax exempt non profit platform. We're not going to live in a perfect world, however, elevating ignorance using this tactic and receiving the go ahead is splitting hairs in my opinion.

So eliminate all non-profit status. I can swing with that--as long as you do it to all the PACS at the same time, that's fair.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

This thread isn't about those other groups, it's about the Council of Conservative Citizens who said:

"God is the author of racism. God is the One who divided mankind into different types. ... Mixing the races is rebelliousness against God."
— Council of Conservative Citizens website, 2001

This is what they are about. It's not a stretch to realize they are a racist group. Especially if you poke around for more than five minutes.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

This thread isn't about those other groups, it's about the Council of Conservative Citizens who said:

"God is the author of racism. God is the One who divided mankind into different types. ... Mixing the races is rebelliousness against God."
— Council of Conservative Citizens website, 2001

This is what they are about. It's not a stretch to realize they are a racist group. Especially if you poke around for more than five minutes.

Sounds like nation of Islam minus the mother ship.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

So eliminate all non-profit status. I can swing with that--as long as you do it to all the PACS at the same time, that's fair.

When I made the statement I was referencing what I thought you were referring too, which was how to shut down the hate speech platform we were discussing earlier.

On a side note, eliminating political non profits, PACS, ain't a bad idea either.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

I certainly didn't realize that - can you explain?

The SPLC evolved out of controversy, like so many things.

They have progressed to be the #1 group for determing what groups are Hate Groups.

They have a criteria they follow. Like anti-gay groups. Just being anti-gay does not get you on the list. Promoting falsehoods gets you on the list. Like equating homosexuals as pedos or beastiality.

If you're an independent racist group that discuss amongst yourself, you are not going to be on the hate list.

You need to actively do something to promote hatred.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join