It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should (Or is) sarcasm aganst Ts and Cs in certain forums?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I like a good laugh as much as everyone here and it's part of why I come here.

I am thinking about the Grey area and Skunk works when I ask this though.

These used to be good forums and great for out of the box thinking but now it seems that they are somehow mockery forums where anyone who actually takes the time to write an op is instantly subjected to ridicule and this is somehow encouraged.

It's the same with the UFO threads, I do not mind a bit of ribbing but it seems now that it's "cool" to dive in and destroy a thread and kudos is achived with the speed in which a thread or OP can be destroyed.

As I say I spend more time cracking funnies or rileing members in other forums but it's kind of made the forums redundant now.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Sarcasm is fine, ridiculing and insulting others is not. As for threads being "destroyed", well, if they're that easily "destroyed", then the premise was likely invalid from the get-go. Part of denying ignorance is poking holes in the ideas that don't quite pass the sniff test.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: admirethedistance
Sarcasm is fine, ridiculing and insulting others is not. As for threads being "destroyed", well, if they're that easily "destroyed", then the premise was likely invalid from the get-go. Part of denying ignorance is poking holes in the ideas that don't quite pass the sniff test.

Whilst I agree in priciple I would say that sarcasm is often used as a way to make someone feel superior and make an OP scared to ask a question.

What would you say to you from ten years ago and your thoughts then? would you mock you? Laugh? share a joke with others at your less knowing self?

Or would you refrain and encourage your need to explore and question the world you live in?

What you know now may not yet be understood by others, Do you not think we should encourage this as opposed to bolstering our own ego?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

(achived, rileing) careful there or you will achieve riling up the spelling police!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

(achived, rileing) careful there or you will achieve riling up the spelling police!

I will not lie I did play about with the spelling before thinking "I don't Kare"

It is not a word I often spell.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I tend to agree that sarcasm seems to be used to derail a topic. I've yet to see a sarcastic response, including my own I have to admit, that speaks to the substance of a given topic. It pulls everyone especially the OP off topic and confuses the true issues of the OP.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I find the professional debunkers to be every bit as dim,
for the most part, as those they debunk. (but for different
reasons for sure).

If humans are to survive the coming centuries, I'd recommend
that they learn to balance rational thought with 'out of the box'
creative thought.

The very best posts on ATS do that.. while the vast majority
of the remainder goes off the rails to one side or another.

Of course nobody says that it's easy to make such posts..
so perhaps some tolerance on the part of both debunkers
and 'creative thinkers' would go a long way?

Civility seems to be a pretty dead thing.

Kev

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I tend to agree that sarcasm seems to be used to derail a topic. I've yet to see a sarcastic response, including my own I have to admit, that speaks to the substance of a given topic. It pulls everyone especially the OP off topic and confuses the true issues of the OP.

A very bold statement from a seasoned member and I thank you for your admission of this.

I have an awful feeling that I have at times done the same whilst thinking it was "funny"

It's just a rock BTW.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I think bad/stupid ideas need to be mocked and sarcasm is just as good a way to do it as any other. Jeez, if I lose sarcasm I lose 90% of my material.

And the other 10% only consists of fart jokes...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LyndellUrbytes

I think bad/stupid ideas need to be mocked and sarcasm is just as good a way to do it as any other. Jeez, if I lose sarcasm I lose 90% of my material.

So to give perspective how do you decide what is a "bad or stupid idea"

What basis do you have to deem such questions or opinions such and make said judgement?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

What basis do you have to deem such questions or opinions such and make said judgement?

when we, who are not religious are told what bad people we are...or...how we should obey a mythical beings words, or when religious organizations get special treatment from governments. that's a good start for me when it comes to sarcasm.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

when we, who are not religious are told what bad people we are...or...how we should obey a mythical beings words, or when religious organizations get special treatment from governments. that's a good start for me when it comes to sarcasm.

So you feel that if you have a differing opinion that is a reason to use sarcasm and mockery?

How does that work if someones opinion differs from yours?

Is that OK even though you are are on the reciving end then?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Other people's opinions suck, man. Why should we listen to anyone's opinion when everyone's certain their opinions are totally true.

You know what I think, nonspecific, I think opinions are for the weak, facts are for the strong.

Come at me bro!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

So you feel that if you have a differing opinion that is a reason to use sarcasm and mockery?

I know you weren't replying to me, but I personally have no problem whatsoever with someone who disagrees with me being sarcastic. Mockery, of course, is a different story. Most of the time, when I post something that I don't state is opinion right off the bat, I have facts and data to back it up, if challenged. So no, I don't mind sarcasm at all, even when I'm on the 'receiving end'.

Just my opinion, of course.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I understand what you mean. A topic will start and then the detractors pile on in and just trash the thread with lowbrow sarcasm.

ETA It's especially bad in threads on religious subjects because you'll get the Atheist mob attacking religion for simply being religion instead of discussing the actual topic from their point of view.

Often what is a really interesting topic will not get off the ground because it is impossible to have an intelligent discussion through the noise of ignorance. I often get disappointed because threads die off too quickly and a really interesting subject doesn't get properly explored.
edit on 25-6-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I know you weren't replying to me, but I personally have no problem whatsoever with someone who disagrees with me being sarcastic. Mockery, of course, is a different story. Most of the time, when I post something that I don't state is opinion right off the bat, I have facts and data to back it up, if challenged. So no, I don't mind sarcasm at all, even when I'm on the 'receiving end'.

Just my opinion, of course.

I have no problem with sarcasm used in conjunction with reasoned debate and evidence.

I do however have issues with members using sarcasm as a way to insult or ridicule an OP without having to take responsibility as they claim they were simply joking when that is often not the case.

I mentioned the gray area and skunkworks in particular as they have no need for evidence, they are specifically for speculation and personal opinion.

Another one is the UFO forum, I have pretty much given up on any threads in there as "sarcasm" destroys pretty much every thread made there these days in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I think the forum matters a lot. If you are skunkworks, you should be able to postulate the affects Planet X will have on the Easter bunnies retirement plans. But if you bring that discussion into general conspiracies, you should expect any and all ridicule you get. This site is supposed to be about denying ignorance. After looking around at other sites, I can assure you that this site is one of the few that actually does that.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Another one is the UFO forum, I have pretty much given up on any threads in there as "sarcasm" destroys pretty much every thread made there these days in my opinion.

I fully expect the UFO forum to be a tough room. The obvious fakes have been spotted here for years and the few really good mysteries have been spotted as well. If you want to have your ego stroked and bias confirmed, that certainly isn't the forum for you. But if you want brutal honesty and factual debunking, there is no better place. (IMHO)

I don't like the idiots who pretend to be debunkers and offer nothing to back up their slams. You have to bring something to the table.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I think the forum matters a lot. If you are skunkworks, you should be able to postulate the affects Planet X will have on the Easter bunnies retirement plans. But if you bring that discussion into general conspiracies, you should expect any and all ridicule you get. This site is supposed to be about denying ignorance. After looking around at other sites, I can assure you that this site is one of the few that actually does that.

Just my opinion.

I am glad it's not just me then, as I said most forums you need to bring something tangeble or suffer the wrath but when your looking at skunkworks there really is no excuse for baseless mockery and abuse that does nothing but derail a thread.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

That about sums it up honestly.

Outright ridicule, if alerted will be removed more than likely. There's a big difference between sarcasm or critical thinking.

More often than not, that behavior is most prevalent in topics that have been beat to death and proven to be WAYY out there.

Like Nibiru, or Reptilian aliens etc.

Regardless however, the staff take these on a case by case basis. If you feel some post violates the spirit of the ATS community, blurring the lines between sarcasm and outright rudeness, please alert it.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join