It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turmeric

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: berenike

I Googled beans on toast.
I clicked on a 'recipe'.
The were other recipes there for traditional British foods.
One was cheese on toast.
Another was for Marmite on toast.

I am going to write a such a recipe for one that I didn't see there:
Peanut Butter Toast
Ingredients-
2 slices of bread
Peanut butter
Toast bread, spread with peanut butter to taste.

I never realized such simple things required a recipe.
Yeah Brits and cooking don't necessarily go together in the same sentence. Google "spotted dick". LOL

Yeah, been there (UK) and ate that (their food).
No argument from me on that one.
Been there as well. Lived on watercress and egg sandwiches for a while until I found some good Italian restaurants to frequent

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
what up glo zell

hilarious about the tumeric

put a big ass dollop on a couple vicodin. then it might work

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Thanks, everybody, for all the replies and support

Skidmark - Happily, I can't answer your question BUT well done for accepting my advice. You won't regret it.

To everybody who thought I might have used too much or mis-used the turmeric. I expect you're right. I put about half a teaspoon full in a tin of beans and heated it up. I don't like cooking and have discovered that making dinner isn't my forte. Thank you for all the advice which, if I ever risk an encounter with the Evil Stuff again, I will take.

Marmite on toast (yum) is an old favourite and I do generally manage that without too much trouble.

Neysa - I'm glad I made you laugh. I don't mind sending myself up now and then and I'm quite happy for people to be amused at my expense. I hope your day got better.

More disclosure - The aches and pains are all my own fault. I spend far too much time loafing about playing computer games

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Also, the anti-inflammatory properties won't be pronounced. You can also get a similar effect with the stuff that make hot peppers hot. So if you like hot stuff, the maybe you'd do better to go that route? It will help support other anti-inflammatory stuff unless you go way in excess with it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes to the hot sauce.
Two thirds of my refrigerator door is filled with hot sauces, from table sauces to specialty sauces that only take a drip.
The other night, my 9 y/o said dad, we need some more of the garlic hot sauce.
I used to be bothered with gout and heartburn. Since I kicked things up a notch with peppers, I don't have a problem with either.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Tumeric or no, I hope your back gets better soon. Hot pad/ cold packs. Those things hurt. Feel better.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I like to be able to apply measurement of sorts to things as much as I can. Tumeric helps with inflammation; that is not a fact, but stated as an opinion. For my Bride and me, it IS a fact. It is, however, not a cure-all. Applied as a paste to the skin, it would probably burn. I wouldn't use it on tender tissue. It does seem to aid in the decrease of inflammation, and for old farts like us, that is something that matters. YMMV.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It is disgusting, it makes me gag, but it works. It also has the problem that it doesn't absorb well and I have absorption issues on top of that.

So.... I make an emulsifier and put in capsules for easy swallowing. If I am too lazy to do that, I gulp it down gagging all the way.

It doesn't burn the skin, but it sure does stain it. Carefull that you don't walk around looking jaundice.
edit on 6/24/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I take curcumin in capsule form. Not every day even though I should. I don't like tumeric, as a spice.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Without endorsing any particular vitamin company............. there are those that sell 'tart cherry/ tumeric' capsules and it is my opinion that it's a well-rounded and effective supplement.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
When I was taking turmeric, I would mix about a 1/4 tsp with 4oz warm chicken broth, add a little coconut oil and black pepper. Almost, sorta kinda like a chicken soup. The coconut oil and black pepper are said to help the body absorb it better.

I often add it to soups and casseroles, but it is very easy to over do!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
If only using turmeric, I'd consult a qualified herbalist.

A while back I read somewhere that turmeric was good as an anti-inflammatory for gout or arthritis.
I made sure that all my alkaline or neutral veggies were yellow with the stuff, which doesn't take much (it was once called the poor man's Saffron).

However, I also took allopathic medicine, so I'm not sure how much of a difference two teaspoons a day made towards my recovery.

I've met local Indian and Cape Malay people who take it as a long-term daily tonic.
They stay away from the commercial powders though.
Not only is the ground spice usually considered inferior quality and pungent (even in traditional cooking), but there have been scares in some countries concerning spices being mixed with all kinds of dyes that contain mercury and lead.

For medicinal use, I'd get an organic tincture or herbal tablet at something akin to a standard dose.
It won't work immediately though.
Turmeric's main immediate use was as an disinfectant or anti-fungal on the skin.

Incidentally, there was a short-lived craze of people swallowing red chili pepper powder by the spoonful every day, but they also found some dangerous additives and dye in it.
Beware before mega-dosing on the latest spice craze.

Not sure how hygienic those spice factories and warehouses are either, and they probably suppose the powder will always be cooked to a microbe-killing level.
edit on 24-6-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Use it sparingly and counter the bitterness with some apple cider vinegar. Problem solved and you can get the benefits.

Food is not all that mysterious.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

7 Ways to Eat (& Drink!) Turmeric

1. Add it to scrambles and frittatas. Use a pinch of turmeric in scrambled eggs, a frittata, or tofu scramble. If you or your family are new to turmeric, this is a great place to start because the color is familiar and the flavor subtle.
→ Recipe: Southwestern Tofu Scramble
2. Toss it with roasted vegetables. Turmeric's slightly warm and peppery flavor works especially well with cauliflower, potatoes, and root vegetables.
→ Recipe: Cauliflower Steaks with Ginger, Turmeric, and Cumin
3. Add it to rice. A dash of turmeric brings color and mild flavor to a pot of plain rice or a fancier pilaf.
→ Recipe: Fragrant Yellow Rice
4. Try it with greens. Sprinkle turmeric into sautéed or braised greens like kale, collards, and cabbage.
→ Recipe: Cabbage in Mild Yogurt and Mustard Seed Curry
5. Use it in soups. A bowl of vegetable or chicken soup feels even more warming when it's tinged with golden turmeric.
→ Recipe: Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup
6. Blend it into a smoothie. While fresh turmeric root is especially great in juices and smoothies, a pinch of ground spice is good, too. The slightly pungent flavor is usually well masked in smoothies.
→ Recipe: Superpower Morning Smoothie (the recipe doesn't call for turmeric but you can definitely add it!)
7. Make tea. Simmer turmeric with milk and honey to make an earthy and comforting beverage.
→ Recipe: Turmeric-Ginger Tea
→ An additional tip: If you're looking to get the health benefits of turmeric, pair it with pepper. Herbalist Rosalee de la Forêt tells us, "To get the most out of your turmeric add 3% black pepper to the mix. Black pepper improves the biodegradability of turmeric, making smaller doses more effective." This works out to about 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper to 1/4 cup of turmeric. To make it easy, I simply premix pepper into my jar of turmeric.

Perhaps it is just an acquired taste that requires a specific method to be beneficial and tasty.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I heard some turmeric out there is fake.
To test it, mix it with lemon juice and if it turns pink, it's fake.

If you don't like it, you could always try to just take it with a spoon.
I don't mind the taste and I add just a little pinch to everything mostly because they say it's good for health.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

With eggs it's pretty good! Curry chicken omelet is really really good.

For soups, it's a must!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

It is wise never to eat anything larger than your head.

How much did you use?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

It may be tough to put down but curcumin (found in turmeric root) is a highly-potent anti-cancer agent. articles.mercola.com...

I use it with rices and soups (mixed with black pepper since I understand your body can absorb it more efficiently that way) and have gotten used to the taste - it's not too bad and the health benefits are way up there! don't give up on that orange stuff just yet

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thank you everybody for all the new replies.

The posts on this thread have been so thoughtful, kind and informative that I'm really grateful. It's been so good of people to look up recipes and information for me.

It's amazing how a few kind words and some encouragement can help

I was using bog-standard turmeric that I got at the supermarket and over-did it by quite a bit, it seems. I think I'd read about making a drink using half a teaspoonful so I just whacked that much in my dinner thinking it was about the right dose.

I'll lay off it for a little while and maybe try a sprinkle with some black pepper when I'm over the current trauma. Apart from tasting abominable it doesn't seem to have done me any actual harm

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure it'll help you specifically, but Astaxanthin has worked really well for me with aches and pains.

Astaxanthin is a powerful, naturally occurring carotenoid pigment that's found in certain marine plants and animals. Often called "the king of the carotenoids," astaxanthin is recognized as being one of the most powerful antioxidants found in nature. It is of particular significance, because unlike some other types of antioxidants, astaxanthin never becomes a pro-oxidant in the body so it can never cause harmful oxidation.

Astaxanthin is an antioxidant, so it naturally reduces free radicals in the body. But besides that, it also significantly reduces the oxidative load in the body by protecting the cells against oxidation. Because of astaxanthin's unique molecular structure, this red-colored pigment is an extremely powerful antioxidant that is very effective against singlet oxygen. It has a powerful scavenging ability for lipid and free radicals, and effectively breaks peroxide chain reactions.

Astaxanthin has natural anti-inflammatory properties, but unlike prescription analgesics, it comes with no risk of addiction, heartburn, or gastrointestinal ulcers. Specifically, natural forms of astaxanthin block inflammatory COX2 enzymes, while at the same time suppressing serum levels of nitric oxide, interleukin 1B, prostaglandin E2, C Reactive Protein (CRP), and TNF-alpha (tumor necrosis factor alpha).

Sockeye salmon has some of the highest levels of astaxanthin found in nature, with the exception of the purest form of the pigment. In fact, this is the reason behind the vibrant red flesh of the fish. Astaxanthin is also considered the primary reason why salmon have the energy it takes to make their arduous upstream voyages each year. Natural forms of this antioxidant also provide humans with increased strength, while also offering increased recovery from exercise.

Source

I get aches and pains in my joints when the weather changes. It took about 2 weeks for the astaxanthin to start working, over time I found that my joints just didn't hurt anymore. When I ran out, I could definitely tell.

<< 1    3 >>

join