It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A post defending the evil that is "FACEBOOK" Dam dam daaaaammmmmmm...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I am aware that a lot of people, especially here are into the whole facebook is evil train.

Is this true? what is so bad about it? Data mining and collecting information about you? Good luck with stopping that happening if you ask me(which you did not).

I thought I would put this out there to list a few things that are positive that have happened on facebook for me over the past couple of weeks just to offset the balance just a little.

In the UK we have no craigslist, we do however have local facebook pages to buy, sell, give away or just to inform the local community of what's going on.

In the past week I have,

Sold something I did not need that someone else did, bought something that I did need that someone else did not.

Gave something away for free and got something free.

Saw a post where someone had found a babys toy on a bus and found the owner to return it, Saw the same thing with a dog that had escaped and was returned.

Spoke to at least 5 friends in different countries.

Saw a load of Fathers day pics of friends far away and there families.

Informed my local community of thefts in the area and to check there outbuildings and gardens to try and prevent further loss.

Was contacted by a friend I have not seen in around 15 years to get an address for a wedding invitation.

Gave advice on a woodworking forum to someone who's business was struggling and saw the benifit my(and others) advice had.

I could go on and on here.

I am aware that there are negatives to social media but to me it's the same as an issue like guns. It's not what it is but the way that you use something that determines the outcome.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
See it's not the other citizens that's the problem with social media, it's how they alter prices based off how much they track you spend each month so they can advertise certain products from certain locations. Make more than the guy down the street? Well enjoy not being able to see the $2 bag of potatos or the $5000 price drop on that new car you wanted because you can afford to lose more money because your neighbor down the street is struggling and losing money so now you have to pick up his slack and you don't get a say. That's the problems with social media. Nothing else. Freedom of speech is always welcome no matter what. Don't like what your reading or hearing then change the station or site. Just like here.... @#$% that.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5thNovember
See it's not the other citizens that's the problem with social media, it's how they alter prices based off how much they track you spend each month so they can advertise certain products from certain locations. Make more than the guy down the street? Well enjoy not being able to see the $2 bag of potatos or the $5000 price drop on that new car you wanted because you can afford to lose more money because your neighbor down the street is struggling and losing money so now you have to pick up his slack and you don't get a say. That's the problems with social media. Nothing else. Freedom of speech is always welcome no matter what. Don't like what your reading or hearing then change the station or site. Just like here.... @#$% that.

I am afraid I do not fully understand your point here.

I personally use cash where possible and would never click an ad on any site out of principle.

I think I can safely say that whatever they get out of me is less than I get back. My op I feel confirms this belief.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Facebook is full of people with a narcissistic personality disorder which is why I am not or never will be a member. Who cares where you went for vacation or why do people want to post pics of their ugly children?

It sounds harsh but it is honest. Sure share your pics with friends and family but what possesses people to post pics of drunken behavior? Then they wonder why the boss is pissed off.

I just don't get it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I like the fact that someone has come forward and spoken about some of the good things about (Facebook).

I think everyone matters...and their day to day life matters...many people on (Facebook) may seem narcissistic; but you know what... I think that many people are not narcissistic at all...they just want to matter in this life; and on (Facebook) they are reaching out to humanity saying...(does anyone care about me at all?)

edit on 2015-06-24T13:49:25-05:00pmWednesdaypm2420156America/Chicagopm by caladonea because: edit

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix
Facebook is full of people with a narcissistic personality disorder which is why I am not or never will be a member. Who cares where you went for vacation or why do people want to post pics of their ugly children?

It sounds harsh but it is honest. Sure share your pics with friends and family but what possesses people to post pics of drunken behavior? Then they wonder why the boss is pissed off.

I just don't get it.

Is the real world also not equally full of such people? Do you also refuse to go to bars and resteraunts?

My post was meant to imply that you have the ability to choose how to use something, the fact that many idiots use something should not be a reason to avoid it.

How many of these people breathe air or drink water? Do you refuse to do these things on the same basis?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

Sure people matter but if they post pictures or their thoughts the person should accept the consequences of their action.

ATS for example is a place where I share my thoughts but remain anonymous. When you reveal to the world your identity and add layers of personal thoughts, pics, videos, etc. there will be consequences. Some are good, some are bad.

I have no problem with FB I have a problem with people who use the site then whine about the 'consequences'.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

a reply to: caladonea

Sure people matter but if they post pictures or their thoughts the person should accept the consequences of their action.

ATS for example is a place where I share my thoughts but remain anonymous. When you reveal to the world your identity and add layers of personal thoughts, pics, videos, etc. there will be consequences. Some are good, some are bad.

I have no problem with FB I have a problem with people who use the site then whine about the 'consequences'.

So then the problem is not with social media but those that use it and your opinions of that?

I would refer you to my previous posts regarding this.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Good point.

When I visit a bar and tell a story to another patron there is no proof I told the story. When I post something on the internet I assume it is or could be permanent.

Even if I delete something it isn't necessarily "deleted" from the internet. I don't think some people appreciate the tool they use.

As always it's just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Good point.

When I visit a bar and tell a story to another patron there is no proof I told the story. When I post something on the internet I assume it is or could be permanent.

Even if I delete something it isn't necessarily "deleted" from the internet. I don't think some people appreciate the tool they use.

As always it's just my opinion.

Agreed, so could you apply the same reasoning to a site such as ATS then?

If anything it should be more so as to the anninomity of the site.

I personally get less nonsense on my facebook feed than I do skimming through the recent posts here on ATS.

At least on facebook I can remove someone who's opinion is in my opinion offensive or just plain stupid, here you have to put your filters on full and take a deep breath every four or five posts.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Are you calling me stupid just because I do not agree with your pov?

Fine.

It is what it is.

Edit - Sure it may be here forever but you don't know who I am. "anonymity"
edit on 24-6-2015 by highfromphoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Are you calling me stupid just because I do not agree with your pov?

Fine.

It is what it is.

Not at all? I was simply pointing out that on facebook you have the option to decide who's opinion you see when you log in whereas on a site like ATS you have to take everything and use your own filters.

I asure you there was no ill intent and appologise if it came across in such a manner.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

No big deal. As you know I'm not familiar with FB or the tools.

TC.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I personally use cash where possible and would never click an ad on any site out of principle.

I think I can safely say that whatever they get out of me is less than I get back. My op I feel confirms this belief.

Lmao. So you believe because you don't click an ad even if it's for a product you've been eyeing that makes you better than someone else? Based off your interpretation of principles? So merely clicking or not clicking makes you a principally flawed? I'm confused as to how your say your op agrees with my response, how?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5thNovember

originally posted by: nonspecific

Lmao. So you believe because you don't click an ad even if it's for a product you've been eyeing that makes you better than someone else? Based off your interpretation of principles? So merely clicking or not clicking makes you a principally flawed? I'm confused as to how your say your op agrees with my response, how?

I still fail to understand your point on this matter?

I was trying to say that although many people think facebook is a bad thing that if used correctly it can be benificial.

You have lost me here I'm afraid.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I had a facebook profile.
i grew tired of seeing the same people whining about how hard life is, seeing pictures of the slop others cooked for dinner
and the same candy game invitations.
Trying to close the account was also a chore. You would think that they would have it readily available for people to delete their account. Well i had to fill out a questionnaire, click threw pages of jargon just to find the delete account button. And even after clicking it i was asked if i would like to return in 3 months or something like that.
Its just ridiculous the lengths that it took to remove my facebook account

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I boycotted FB a long time ago before the true intent behind its insidious development came to light. I had Myspace at the time and heard about Facebook being newer and better (for some reason). So I checked it out and went to make a profile but I couldn't because at that time is open only to students.

I had just left college and was in my MOS school for the military so technically I was a student just not the right kind. So I kind of said EFF FB which has lasted thus far, as for my myspace account that was abandoned and lost in cyberspace long ago and never been looked back on.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I don't particularly like it because of the data mining. However, it's the only way I have of keeping in touch with friends and family.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: macenroe82
I had a facebook profile.
i grew tired of seeing the same people whining about how hard life is, seeing pictures of the slop others cooked for dinner
and the same candy game invitations.
Trying to close the account was also a chore. You would think that they would have it readily available for people to delete their account. Well i had to fill out a questionnaire, click threw pages of jargon just to find the delete account button. And even after clicking it i was asked if i would like to return in 3 months or something like that.
Its just ridiculous the lengths that it took to remove my facebook account

So was your issue with facebook as a medium or the people you chose to include in your version of it?

As I said earlier the content is yours to decide.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I have to disagree with the original poster, I'm a tech head I'll try and keep this simple, Facebook is used as a tool by many fraudsters and hackers as a way of gaining pieces of your personal information, when they have enough details (all they really need is your name and address or postcode) from this they can get the rest no problems online in just a few clicks, they sell your details to companies who cold call you and in turn those companies sell your details on again like a big old pyramid scheme, and that's if you're lucky. With enough personal info they can become you and spend your money, do you know how easy it is to gain control of a Facebook account? without giving too much detail all you really need to do is make a few fake accounts up.

Used correctly it can be safe, no personal info other than your name and keep your profile private to everyone but those you chose.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join