It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-intellectualism Is Killing America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: Aazadan

Yes, yes, and yes. What if compassion meant weakening the of society and ultimately dooming the entire species? How do we know that isn't the case? Because it has been studied and the effects are well known.

Well I suppose in any discussion of whether emotions are intellectual or not (which is different from simple, rational utilitarianism), we should probably define our terms before we proceed too much further, no?

So, define "love" for me.

Love:

Agape
Storge
Phileo
Erotas

These are the four important forms of love according to Attic/Koine Greek.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
THIS is killing the world. THIS is what is wrong with America. Quite frankly humans were not meant to live in such close proximity to other human beings. Sure, we can sustain 7 billion people on Earth with proper farming techniques, but it's to crowded for our own good. Humans as a species don't do well when we feel lost in the crowd.

I want to disagree with this. A large part in chasing after enlightenment according to eastern philosophy is to realize that you are one in a crowd. Our fellow humans all want 90% or more of the same things so there is a lot for us to unite over. We are also all a mixture of circumstance+opportunity and are all just small interchangeable parts in the whole of humanity. Pretty much the very definition of not being unique.

As long as we live in a society based on the concept of having leadership, then we must simultaneously accept that by definition most of us are just followers, members of the crowd. That doesn't mean that people have no impact, but any change for better or worse is the result of a cumulative effort of many people. One person didn't win the American Revolution, one person didn't send us to the Moon, and one person didn't build the Pyramids. All of those were the end result of a whole bunch of people doing their small jobs.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

I am going to continue with these definition searches because I keep finding that in this thread, we seem to be throwing around words and ideas without really understanding what they actually mean; I would have chosen "Irrationality" in the title of the thread instead of using the idea of "Anti-Intellectualism.."

Another word I keep reading, and that I keep seeing that is oddly contrasted with a word like "Intellectualism", is the word "Ignorance," I'm not sure we can compare one to another..

Ignorance

Definition of Ignorance according to The American Heritage Dictionary:

Ignorance: noun,

The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

I hope all of these American Heritage Dictionary definitions help somehow with the discussion here..

edit on 25-6-2015 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Educated Learned Taught Experienced Intelligent Aware Competent Knowledgeable Literate Talented Wise

Those words listed above are a few of the antonyms for "Ignorant," according to Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (2013).

Below are a list of a few of the antonyms for "Intellectual," from the same source:

Foolish Ignorant Stupid Body Physical Simple

edit on 25-6-2015 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Love is affection and compassion. Love is treating others as you would like to be treated, that is, with compassion.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802

I am going to continue with these definition searches because I keep finding that in this thread, we seem to be throwing around words and ideas without really understanding what they actually mean; I would have chosen "Irrationality" in the title of the thread instead of using the idea of "Anti-Intellectualism.."

I would stick with the OP's description because my view is that there is a willful de-valuation upon using ones capacities for reasoning and critical analysis; using this word points at that source of irrationality. People can be irrational because of handicaps such as mental disorders, or low capacity for intellectual thought as well... but I don't think that is the case in the current american society.

Values upon being "nice" at all times (being positive, avoiding any form or hint of conflict, avoiding provocative issues, being all "love and light") have the effect of dissuading us from being critically minded.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Just because someone is an intellectual doesn't mean they are not an dumb. I've met many business owners, doctors, lawyers who call themselves liberal and progressive. They think they are intellectuals but they are some of the most stupid people I've ever met. And when they fail...they point at someone else for their failings. Kinda sums them all up doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It's worth mentioning the Dunning - Kruger effect.

Which suggests that the less skilled you are in logic and reasoning, the more sure you will be that you are, and that others around you aren't.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Liberal and progressive doesn't mean intelligent. There are PLENTY of doctors and scientists who are conservative. Also, street smarts and book smarts aren't the same thing. Just because someone can't function as efficiently as you in society doesn't mean they can't think circles around you in logic and reasoning.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I don't think it's so much anti-intellectualism as it is encouraged greed, dishonesty & selfishness. At the least, modern humans are two-faced, professing to be good humans with big hearts that think nothing of crapping all over the next guy in an instant. That is indeed the dual nature of humanity and there's a lack of social balance between the two. We seek that balance, but then socially, immediately refuse the changes needed to balance them out. We simultaneously feed & crush both with conflicting amounts of encouragement, which I'd wager is a real humdinger for the subconscious to rectify & probably accounts for a bigger amount of social conflict than most would admit. We're taught & encouraged to be respectful & mindful of others. But then it's called being soft & thus, we must man up, be more aggressive, assertive. We're taught & encouraged to be kind & generous, but then we're told it helps no one. So we're expected to turn an icy shoulder to others in peril. Is it any wonder we're divided?

Make up your damn mind, people. Either we're working to be benevolent & kind, or we're royal spoiled assholes out for just ourselves. Are we still teaching the newer generations to bestow sympathy & a good heart, or is it just screw everyone else, I got mine (sound familiar?)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: Aazadan

Yes, yes, and yes. What if compassion meant weakening the of society and ultimately dooming the entire species? How do we know that isn't the case? Because it has been studied and the effects are well known.

Well I suppose in any discussion of whether emotions are intellectual or not (which is different from simple, rational utilitarianism), we should probably define our terms before we proceed too much further, no?

So, define "love" for me.

Love:

Agape
Storge
Phileo
Erotas

These are the four important forms of love according to Attic/Koine Greek.

They are, and too many conflate them all into just one kind which is another kind of anti-intellectualism, but it certainly serves a lot of political agendas these days to have it so.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

Which suggests that the less skilled you are in logic and reasoning, the more sure you will be that you are, and that others around you aren't.

The only part of the Dunning-Kruger thing that has ever seemed to hold true for me is that things I thought were easy always seemed to be really hard for most others, and I never actually figured out why.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Thank goodness I always recognize my mind's misgivings..

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The only part of the Dunning-Kruger thing that has ever seemed to hold true for me is that things I thought were easy always seemed to be really hard for most others, and I never actually figured out why.

They usually call that talent. People who don't understand math confuse me, but I've since learned that I'm just better at putting the pieces of the puzzle that are math problems together than many people.

Also, when you find something that you can do easily, you tend to want to do it more often. Eventually you just get better than others at it as well. Muscle memory and all that.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Some people are just pretty stupid.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The elites don't need a large population of well educated, thinking people.
They need good drones who don't question their actions or motivations and just do their required tasks.
With the election of George W Bush they even made ignorance popular.
It's ok the be dull - look at our President.
Hate the A-rabs, get that oil, might makes right.
Besides, we were spreading Democracy and helping these backwards countries like Iraq.
Intellectualism has been scorned by modern media and by and large our children have eaten of it's foul fruit.
Looks like Revenge of the Nerds was a one-off.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
it all looks a lot like end times preparation for what the Bible calls the "strong delusion" that will over-take complacent people...

“To the kindly influence of Christianity, we owe that degree of civil freedom, and political and social happiness which mankind now enjoys.”
“In proportion, as the genuine effects of Christianity are diminished in any nation, either through unbelief, or the corruption of its doctrines, in the same proportions will the people of the nation recede from the blessings of genuine freedom and approximate the miseries of complete despotism.”

--Samuel Morse, inventor of Morse Code

“If thou wouldst rule well, thou must rule for God, and to do that, thou must be ruled by Him... Those who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.”
--William Penn Source: Susquehanna Country Transcript, article: They’re Making You too Dumb.”

Benjamin Franklin stood and addressed the Continental Congress with these words: "In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for divine protection. Our prayers, sir, were heard and they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a superintending Providence in our favor....Have we now forgotten this powerful friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?

I have lived, sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?"

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Liberal and progressive doesn't mean intelligent. There are PLENTY of doctors and scientists who are conservative. Also, street smarts and book smarts aren't the same thing. Just because someone can't function as efficiently as you in society doesn't mean they can't think circles around you in logic and reasoning.

No...but it also doesn't mean they can.

PS: I started a thread a long time ago that basically asked if people would rather be ruled by super intelligent geniuses or be represented by less intelligent people like themselves. I would prefer the latter.
edit on 6/26/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
The elites don't need a large population of well educated, thinking people.
They need good drones who don't question their actions or motivations and just do their required tasks.
With the election of George W Bush they even made ignorance popular.
It's ok the be dull - look at our President.
Hate the A-rabs, get that oil, might makes right.
Besides, we were spreading Democracy and helping these backwards countries like Iraq.
Intellectualism has been scorned by modern media and by and large our children have eaten of it's foul fruit.
Looks like Revenge of the Nerds was a one-off.

Way back in High School we watched a film-strip (remember those) where one part touched on genetics. It basically said if you could create genius...you wouldn't make a world filled with geniuses because you need morons (their word not mine) to empty the trash and clean up which a genius wouldn't do.

I would say the "progressives" in government, who seem to think they know better than everyone else, want citizens that are brain-dead and easily ruled. You know...like livestock.
edit on 6/26/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hear, hear! This is why it all starts with education. We need to teach children *how* to think, how to reason, the importance of rational thought, and the importance of *understanding*. I've always thought that the key to life is understanding. If people would take the time to understand other people, situations, events, and stop with the knee-jerk reactions on both sides (the instigators and the reactionaries, both on a large scale (political leaders, countries) and small scale (hate crimes, street crimes, etc)), life would be much better.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join