It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take Down the Fascist, Anti-Christian Gay-Pride Flag from Government Building!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: AudioOne

And the US was started by an act of treason against the British Crown. Basically, the US has a history of rebellion, and the battle flag is a part of that heritage, even if it is a rebellion against Old Glory.

The difference is...we won.
The Confederacy didn't.

Had they won, just think of how the world would be today.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Flags cannot be racist.

Flags cannot be gay.

Symbols.

That's... what symbols mean..

They symbolize something.

And to return to a fundamental point. Something that symbolizes slavery and hatred can never be put in the same analysis as something that symbolizes the freedom of a group of people to be who they are.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

That is tyranny and oppression.. is that what you support?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

It's conservative minded people and Christians (in this country) who have persecuted the LGBT community for centuries.

I have been persecuting myself?

And yes, the Christians have been not only condemning but also persecuting LGBT for centuries, including killing them in the past

Which Christians? All Christians?

Just so you know, I am a Southern Conservative Christian Lesbian and because of my Native American heritage, I can be considered a person of color.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

And the US was started by an act of treason against the British Crown. Basically, the US has a history of rebellion, and the battle flag is a part of that heritage, even if it is a rebellion against Old Glory.

The Confederacy didn't.

Something else that people forget in all this even though I see them parrot it all the time: History is written by the victors.

You have to dig deep to find out what the real Southerners were thinking/feeling about it all and what it meant to them. I would submit that the truth of what the flag means is somewhere in the middle.

However, just imagine what we would all be thinking about the north and the abolitionists had the South won although I'm not sure which side of the divide I'd have grown up on and be living in.

Wow, starting to think about it, consider the implications for the whole world - WWI, WWII?
edit on 24-6-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Are people really trying to compare 'gay rights' to slavery ?

LOL wow.

For those who missed it. The civil war wasn't about 'ending' slavery.

What it did was declare the federal state the master of the people.

Well we are all slaves.

LGBT and gay pride flags= Confederate flag is an apples to oranges comparison.

On the other hand if i can't have pride waving the American Flag ?

Well my response is what the haters of it say.

Let jingoism wave under whatever banner is used.
edit on 24-6-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Flags cannot be racist.

Flags cannot be gay.

Symbols.

And to return to a fundamental point. Something that symbolizes slavery and hatred can never be put in the same analysis as something that symbolizes the freedom of a group of people to be who they are.

There are a few people in the south who still believe the South will rise again and that the Confederacy didn't surrender.

That's the problem, they haven't realized yet Lee surrendered.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Christians see the gay pride flag as oppression of Christians?

SOME do. Did you read the OP Source?

I'm Christian and don't think that, it's just that if they want to wave their flag, do it at their parades, fly it on their lawns, hang it up in their restaurants, just don't fly it from government buildings

Agree completely. I feel the same about the Confederate flag.

or over schools, because schools are government buildings.

The term "government building" means a building that houses a branch of government... Source

I don't have any problem with schools flying various flags, because laws are not made there, and some schools represent the local residents.

edit on 6/24/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Are people really trying to compare 'gay rights' to slavery ?

No.

LGBT and gay pride flags= Confederate flag is an apples to oranges comparison.

They are not the same and no one is saying they're the same. I'm saying NEITHER should fly over government buildings.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Flags cannot be racist.

Flags cannot be gay.

Symbols.

If you want to infuse an inatimate object with the pwer to represent that, then go right ahead.

Give it all sorts of power.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Christians infuse their beliefs in the symbol of the cross.

But not everyone who looks at the cross becomes Christian.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

If you want to infuse an inatimate object with the pwer to represent that, then go right ahead.

I'm with you, Beez. I don't give ANY piece of fabric that power. Not the confederate flag, the Rainbow flag or the US flag.

Truth is, they do mean a lot to some. And we can't only think of how WE feel, but in a society, we need to consider how others feel. Or be a misanthrope, which has its attractions...

I love it when I can give you a star.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The Confederacy didn't.

Something else that people forget in all this even though I see them parrot it all the time: History is written by the victors.

You have to dig deep to find out what the real Southerners were thinking/feeling about it all and what it meant to them.

The South had the idealism of Romantic Chivalry, of belles and beaus. However, there were a lot more people who didn't have slaves than those who actually did, and slavery was everywhere.

They simply weren't prepared because they didn't have 150 years to prepare, like the Continental Congress and House of Burgesses before the Revolution.

Those young soldiers went into war for the idea of the romantic south.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Christians see the gay pride flag as oppression of Christians?

SOME do. Did you read the OP Source?

I'm Christian and don't think that, it's just that if they want to wave their flag, do it at their parades, fly it on their lawns, hang it up in their restaurants, just don't fly it from government buildings

Agree completely. I feel the same about the Confederate flag.

or over schools, because schools are government buildings.

The term "government building" means a building that houses a branch of government... Source

I don't have any problem with schools flying various flags, because laws are not made there, and some schools represent the local residents.

Laws aren't made at the police station or the US Armed Forces, but they are still part of the government.

Yes, public schools are definitely government buildings, just like the post office. Just because the post office is federal does not mean that public schools are not state government buildings.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

It's conservative minded people and Christians (in this country) who have persecuted the LGBT community for centuries.

I have been persecuting myself?

And yes, the Christians have been not only condemning but also persecuting LGBT for centuries, including killing them in the past

Which Christians? All Christians?

Just so you know, I am a Southern Conservative Christian Lesbian and because of my Native American heritage, I can be considered a person of color.

Obviously not all Christians hate nor persecute Christians. Many moderate Christians have no problem with LGBT. Many moderate Christians ARE LGBT. I specifically am addressing a claim made in the past several few days that somehow gays and the Rainbow Flag are offensive to and persecuting of Christians. Specific charge. Specific retort.

But in this country (and Europe), the religious fundamentalist group that has persecuted gays is comprised of Christians. In the ME it would be fundamentalist Muslims. To pretend otherwise is to be intellectually dishonest.

Without any doubt, the majority of evangelical or fundamentalist Christian groups at least ostensibly stand against the gay lifestyle. They state so ALL of the time. Just look at something like Focus on the Family, or the ENTIRE Southern Baptist Church in its statements. Over the course of Christian history, at many times Christians when in power have persecuted LGBT people, including sometimes killing them.

You know perfectly well, even if your identity is what you claim it is, that one of the most hostile groups to the LGBT community is the Religious Right. Everyone knows this. It's discussed all of the time.

The other group to do so is basically general social conservatives, whether or not they identify as Christian, although the overwhelming majority of them do, hence the Religious Right.

edit on 24-6-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
That's intellectually dishonest, and you know it.

You are trying to redefine what a symbol actual means, and the historic and political power many famous symbols have wielded, for better or worse.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Would it make a person any less Christian if you were to deny them the symbol of a cross?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Honestly, I haven't heard a lot about resistance to the confederate flag coming down.
What I do hear a lot about is hypocrisy over it exhibited by our politicians and leaders.

Gay Pride rainbow flags on government buildings? WHY?
Seriously...WHY?

American government buildings; American flags.
It's not rocket science.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Laws aren't made at the police station or the US Armed Forces, but they are still part of the government.

Yes, but they do not HOUSE the legislature, where laws are made. If they want to fly the Confederate OR Rainbow flags, it's fine.

Yes, public schools are definitely government buildings, just like the post office.

They are owned by the government, yes, but they are not considered to be "Government Buildings", as no "governing" takes place there. There's a difference between "Government Buildings" and buildings owned and operated by the government.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm not saying the flags represent the same thing, I'm saying NEITHER should be flown on buildings of government legislation.

I think that's not a bad policy.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join