It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 9.0 Quake, Tsunamis Strike SE Asia - 275,000+ Dead

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
it has been a strange year weather wise,I am from michigan and the sumer
was the coolist I have ever seen and the winter hasant been bad at all.
all of the heracanes in fliorda and wasant it a record tornado season? now the eartqakes.o and mount sait helins and so on soo munch this year if you put it all to gether it is strange.has this munch havoc ever been recorded in history in one year before?

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Death toll may exceed 15,000 with Indian government estimating more than 2000 may have died on the Anadaman islands alone, bringing the indian total to 5000. I estimate a maximum of 25,000 dead and hundreds of thousands homeless.

[edit on 26-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I hate to introduce a conspiracy angle in this. However, I am surprised that the Maldives death toll is so low, especially considering these islands are low lying and that the flooding in certain parts of it has been severe. The Maldives economy depends nearly completely on its tourism industry. So, could it be the Maldives are deliberately under-reportiing their death toll to save their tourism industry?

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
yeah in new zealand where i live were supposed ot be having 7.0 or above earth quake mid next year in wellington also mt ruhepauhu is due to erupt mid next year

and i belive it will chnage some of nz's geography

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
is thair aney video on the net
and do we have aney army left to help them and let are hearts be with them

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
" There has always been large quakes and there always will be Why does it always have to be doomsday every time something happens....."

... I don't think its doomsday (yet) but there have been a whole series of calamaties and the climate has been strange in the last few years. Although quakes are out of our control, I think we have to take heed, and seriously look at how we are treating the planet, her ecosystem and how we are affecting our climate. I don't think its too late but we need to act quick.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I've e-mailed the U.S.G.S. asking them if there might actually be any relationship between this extensive quake activity and the Toba volcano in Sumatra.

It will be interesting to hear their answer.

The Toba volcano released 2,800 times as much debris
as we experience during the Mt. St Helens incident.

If this were to happen again it would certainly be very very bad.

[edit on 26-12-2004 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Indian and Sri Lankan authories are expecting more tidal waves.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
"and do we have aney army left to help them and let are hearts be with them"

... help is on it way - water purification systems, bottled water and blankets are being sent over from Aus, and Howard has pledged more funding on top of the initial $10 mil. The Red Cross, Care, organisations are in action. Bush has pledged appropriate help.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush expressed his condolences Sunday to the victims of the massive earthquake and tidal waves that hit southern and southeast Asia. The State Department said three Americans have been identified as being among those killed.

State Department spokesman Noel Clay said two Americans were killed in Sri Lanka and one in Thailand. He said a number of other Americans were injured, but he had no details. The three Americans were not further identified.

"We're working on ways to help. The United States will be very responsive," said Clay. He had no details on plans for relief and assistance.

Deputy presidential press secretary Trent Duffy said in a statement, "The United States stands ready to offer all appropriate assistance to those nations most affected."

The White House statement, issued aboard Air Force One en route to Texas from Washington, said "the president expresses his sincere condolences" over the "terrible loss of life and suffering" caused by the earthquake and tidal waves that hit six countries.

US Responce

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I remember we had about a 6.5 quake here (about 4 years back) in WA, USA and I didn't even feel it

The magnitude of that quake sounds horrible though. Triggering tsunamis? Wow...

Caught the headline at BBC, the only good news source these days

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Uh, hello. In case you didn't see the time stamp on the first post from our ATSNN reporter/editor of ATSNN, this story was way ahead of all the other news sources. Next time, please check before you start with all the "caught this story on BBC, the only good news source these days." OK? Would do much to help our reporters and all that.

Thank you,

regs out
(SuperModerator)

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
UPDATE: Death toll

Sri Lanka: 6,500 dead
Indonesia: 4,500 dead
India: 4,280 dead
Thailand: 461 dead
Malaysia: 48 dead
Maldives: 32 dead
Myanmar: 10 dead
Somali: 9 dead
Bangladesh: 2 dead
Seychelles: affected, but no death toll reported

Total reported death toll from 9 countries from SE Asia and Africa: 15,842 and rising

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Its going to get much worse unless the world gets off its butt. The coastal regions are devastated and the biggest killers will be disease and the lack of clean water. According to reports alot of well are now contaminated with salt water in these regions.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The crown prince of Thailand has been confirmed among the dead.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   

The crown prince of Thailand has been confirmed among the dead.

do you have a link for that Banshee?

-raven

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by raven2012
do you have a link for that Banshee?

-raven

Not on the web yet.
Per Skynews TV.

Don't worry, we generally try to avoid reporting erroneous news 'round here.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I have NO idea if this is related (in fact I don't think it is)... but the nearest planets are all rising in the same area of the sky this week:

www.spaceweather.com...
(scroll down a bit)

Is it possible that this could have created a distant, super-tidal affect?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
pity the innocent..its scalar weapons! dismantle HARRP or soon you can order your very own personal precision quake or storm targeted over your mother-in-law's house.. don't you feel the chill? the masking sandstorm in Baghdad hours before U.S. forces entered the city?, the quake in Iran?..3 storms over the philippines?..its the best covert offensive weapon ever..its a good economic leveler, balancer , it favors the U.S. economy so well..(brute force elimination of rising economic tigers in Asia, which usually pain in the ass for the U.S. economy [with of course the cost of a few thousand innocent lives] ).. and you can always blame God for it...its up to your conscience now..

[edit on 27-12-2004 by sealed07]

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Sealed, the rising economies of Asia are India and China, and China has not been hit, and the damage to India's economy is neglible.

UPDATE: Sky News has just reported that the death toll has exceeded 17,000

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join