It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 9.0 Quake, Tsunamis Strike SE Asia - 275,000+ Dead

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
4300+ dead in Sri Lanka, 100,000 - 200,000 homes destroyed, reported by Sri Lanka President via BBC 1,000,000 homeless. news.bbc.co.uk... They have a live feed.

Sri Lanka President reporting that there country is not prepared for this type of disaster. Military has been called in and a request has been made for Sri Lanka medical personnel working abroad to come back to help.

Believed that more people will die from diseases from the water as it is now polluted.

[edit on 26-12-2004 by mfourl]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The crown prince of Thailand is now officially listed among the missing in the floods.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
That is terrible news - the Thai monarchy are much loved and respected by the people.

A much loved friend of mine is in the region right now - hope he is ok.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Just wathced the news footage that is filtering in on TV coverage. many of the regions are devastated and no doubt the death toll is going to rise quite a bit. This is going to require a world wide relief effort

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
All the quakes are at a depth of 10.0

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I agree with the world wide relief effort.
The death toll just keeps going up. This thread is admirable in everyone's attempt to keep it updated. I'm still not getting much information here on tv. Thanks for all the information guys.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Someone said the world has always "remodeled" itself. This is a very poor way to view this event. When something like this happens it's meant to turn one's attention away from us and onto the Living God. People had better wake up. Someone made a comment on this being just as bad as a terrorist attack, this is an excellent insight. There are too many obstacles facing the world and most of them cannot be stopped by man. In almost all disaster films I've seen, something bad happens and by the end of the movie man has managed to save himself. That's not reality. Things are happening now to man, and only God can save mankind. Also the God I'm talking about is Jesus Christ. People better start looking to the heavens and crying out to God. These things will only stop when Christ returns and until then they are going to get worse. If you don't know Christ then you better do it right now. If you do know Christ then we need to start praying for His return so these devastating events will come to an end.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Whether you believe in JC, Allah or Buddha, we need to look at our actions and look after our planet ... all these climatic catastrophes lately do have a warning feel about them. We need to turn things around, have more respect for the planet and for each other. All those nuclear tests and carpet bombings must have rattled the earth's foundations somewhat.

[edit on 26-12-2004 by c_au]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
OMG! Just got home from work and i heard! Thanks to ATS for the latest news! What a horror!!!!!

How sad

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
tsunami created by earthquakes hit African coast, creating damages there as well:

High waves sparked by a massive earthquake on the other side of the Indian Ocean hit the east coast of Africa on Sunday, drowning a number of people, officials and witnesses said.

The huge waves swept some 7,000 kilometres from the Indonesian island of Sumatra before crashing on to the shores of Kenya and Somalia, affecting the islands of Mauritius, Reunion and the Seychelles on the way.

Thousands of holiday-makers and fishermen were urged to flee beaches before the waves hit, but for some it was too late.

In the Seychelles archipelago, nine people were reported missing and a key bridge linking the country's main airport and the country's capital, Victoria, was destroyed.

"I am asking people to remain calm and help those in need," Seychelles President James Michel said in a televised speech.

Mr Michel also formed a National Disaster Plan Committee to coordinate efforts to evacuate people from the coastal region.

In Mauritius, "the biggest waves struck the north and east of the island at around 1:00 pm (local time)," a meteorological spokesman told AFP, adding that no casualties had been reported there or the smaller nearby island of Rodrigues, to the east.

Mauritian authorities urged holiday-makers and picnickers to clear beaches and avoid putting to sea, noting that vessels had been damaged along most countries bordering the Indian Ocean.

Police said the beach of Cap Malheureux, a coastal village on the north of Mauritius, was submerged for almost three hours.

Weather services observed a sudden rise in the tide at Port Mathurin, the main town on Rodrigues, where several stowed boats were damaged. Sea levels returned to normal by the end of the afternoon.

ABC News

This quake is disurbing the whole southern part of the globe,
the worst news that could come on Chrismas...

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The initial earthquake has been revised to a magnitude 9.0

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Nice link from BBC to explain how EarthQuakes Happen news.bbc.co.uk...

THE DISASTER TOLL FROM BBC FOR NOW:

Sri Lanka: 4,300 dead
Indonesia: 4,185 dead
India: 2,900 dead
Thailand: 310 dead
Malaysia: 28 dead
Maldives: 10 dead
Bangladesh: 2 dead

I can see these "Disaster Tolls" progressively increasing, unfortunately as more reports come in. These poorer countries really do suffer when natural disasters happen.

Check out bbc.co.uk as there is a whole bunch of links for further information!

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is very unnerving because I believe this was the location of the largest volcanic eruption in the known history of the planet. Sorry if someone has already brought this up and I'm just repeating it.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
This is very unnerving because I believe this was the location of the largest volcanic eruption in the known history of the planet. Sorry if someone has already brought this up and I'm just repeating it.

The fault was called a subduction zone.. if I remember right that is where one plate of the Earth's crust pushes under the other, this is usually where volcanos are created at the surface.

Usually these quakes are very deep, yet this one has been said to be at a depth of only 6.2 miles... and with a magnitude of 9.0!

Combined with other earthquake activity, and volcanic activity on a global scale I agree Indy.. very unnerving indeed.

Gazz

Edit: Thanks to Valhall... and my lack of real research... or proper spelling I stand corrected

[edit on 26-12-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I don't believe it's been brought up.
You're thinking of Krakatoa ... it wasn't the biggest eruption ever, but was definately one of the biggest. Ash from the eruption affected global weather patterns for years afterwards, and it triggered tsunamis that dwarf the ones from this quake.

Frighteningly enough, a massive earthquake struck in the months before the eruption. Krakatoa collapsed into a caldera after the eruption and is now largely underwater.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

This and many other photos have been posted here.

www.thaivisa.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

The fault was called a seduction zone..

Gazz

although yours sounds sexier...that would be "subduction zone". *

[edit on 12-26-2004 by Valhall]

dh

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It's singularly interesting that this thread remains in the War on Terrorism slot, as well as elsewhere
Does this suggest that these events are part of that "war"?
If that be so then my summation would be that
1. This is some HAARP manipulated event on the anniversary of the Bam earthquake in some kind of post-Christmas spectacular, perhaps to bring possibly recalcitrant countries in to line
or
2. That the War on Terrorism is recognised as the cover-up for major earth changes, tectonic events, as the Schumann resonances increase ineluctably

There may of course be other reasons why this catastrophe should figure in this war

Doubt if Usama or agents of Saddam have much to do with it

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

I had to double-check.... there actually is such a thing in plate tectonics as a "seduction zone!"

library.thinkquest.org...
But I think it's used interchangably with "subduction zone" .....

EDIT: dh -- ATSNN ALERT! stories appear in *every* forum -- because they're important and stuff. You didn't know that?

[edit on 26-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

You got me.. shot right between the eyes

Where is our EIC when needed!!!

I corrected my post and stand as ignorance denied!!

Thanks Val

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join