It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 9.0 Quake, Tsunamis Strike SE Asia - 275,000+ Dead

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia
They said that one providence...(sounded like ahh-che) in i believe indonesia could push the death total to 400,000 by itself.....
thats like a major city size amount of people!!!!

The death toll in Aceh is now more than 80,000.

Link

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
CNN has it at 135,000+

www.cnn.com...

But NDTV (which has been reporting higher numbers than other media) is stating 123,000+

NDTV

But the NDTV article also states that Indonesia's health minister has stated their death toll alone could go over 100,000.

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
It seems that the Indonesian government has given up trying to count the dead and will go with estimates.

JAKARTA (AFP) - Indonesia has given up trying to issue precise figures for the tens of thousands of people killed in an earthquake and tsunami at the weekend, the health minister said.

Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said her officials would from now on give only general estimates since the death toll was too large to provide an exact tally, the state Antara news agency said.

They would wait until all data has been collected before issuing a precise final account, she said.
Death Toll

[edit on 12/31/04 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   

CNN Reports:

(CNN) -- International aid organizations are accepting donations to help victims of the powerful earthquake and resulting tsunamis that caused widespread destruction in parts of South Asia and East Africa. The groups include:

Amazon.com now reports:

OVER 100,000 individual donations...

Reaching OVER $7.3-Million (US)...

in just a little more than 24 hours!!!

Donate to Red Cross on Amazon.com

Important RED CROSS / RED CRESCENT Reminder:

As discovered with the U.S. 9/11 Disaster, Red Cross & its sister organization Red Crescent allow donations into any of 6 categories, one of which includes their "Disaster Relief Fund".

Please remember these funds may be allocated at THEIR DISCRECTION & will be used for ANY emergency/disaster-- including, but not limited to, the recent Tsunami Disaster!!!

Please take this into consideration when donating.

Similar business practices may exist at other charities as well.

IMPORTANT: √ Check Your Charities!

Don't be scammed! Donate to 'authentic', officially verified charities.

Check potential charitable organizations for their quality, ratings, how much they take for "Administrative Purposes" as well as their overall accountability.

Better charities guarantee that at least 70% & preferably 80%+ of all donations actually goes toward the activities chosen to be funded!

American Institute of Philanthropy - Charity Watchdog Helping Donors Make Informed Giving Decisions

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator

GuideStar - The National Database of Nonprofit Organizations

Related Links:

~100k donations, $6.25M+, in just 24 hours! (previous donation-related post)

###

[edit on 31-12-2004 by SecretAss_sassin]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Red Cross are saying that its possible One Million people could have perished in Tsunamis Strike and possibly up to 400,000 in Indonesia.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
here's the latest donations list

World Bank: $250m
UK: $96m
Sweden: $75m
China: $60m
France: $56m
EU $44m
Netherlands: $36m
US: $35m
Canada: $33m
Japan: $30m
Australia: $27m
Denmark: $15.6m
Saudi Arabia: $10m
Norway: $6.6m
Taiwan: $5.1m
Finland: $3.4m
Kuwait: $2.1m
UAE: $2m

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
As some of you might remember from other forums, my wife is Indonesian. It happens that one of her best friends lives in Banda Aech. Last night we were able to get through to her (she and her family are safe, thank god, and in a different town in Sumatra now).

The death toll of 40K would seem a little low to her. They were one of the lucky ones and their house survived the quake and tsunami. However, their home is now filled with corpses that floated in during the flooding. (I can�t imagine that�just piles of bodies inside and around your home). The smell was so bad they couldn�t stay�the stench was making everyone too sick to even try to clean up.

I personally believe that 400,000 is going to be about the correct total for Indonesia alone. Which is what Indonesia's Ambassador to Malaysia Drs H. Rusdihardjo said yesterday. Whole islands are �missing� and if Sumatra was anything like Java (I�ve been around Java but not Sumatra) then the beach areas were densely populated and very poor.

I�m �lucky� in that my wife and I will be able to send funds directly to some families in Banda Aech, no third party will need to get between us and our aid.

Please pray for these folks�it�s going to be very difficult for them to recover from all this.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
oh when will the death toll stop rising
everyday I wake up and I check this thread and it breaks my heart to see the number of dead still rising. This is by far the greatest natural disaster in my life so, I only pray that I never have to hear similiar death tolls about any disaster for the rest of my life.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
We have stood proud in the face of evil, a time when an act of terror seemed to bring us, and perhaps the world together. On September 11, 2001 many of us discovered how fragile this life is.

Since that day we�ve lived in a world of wars, fear of attacks, and in awe at the man made destruction brought upon humanity by itself.

Yet through this Asian earthquake and the power of the resulting tsunami, we�ve seen that no form of man made destruction can compare to the awesome power of nature.

This event has shown both how fragile and insignificant our existence on this planet is. We humans tend to believe that we have ultimate power over our world. In times of natural disaster on a massive scale such as that seen in the aftermath of this earthquake and tsunami we are forced to see how utterly powerless we truly are in the face of the awesome power of nature.

The impact of this event is still evolving, the cause is a mystery, and the speculation is rampant. Is there really something wrong with our planet? Is this the end of the world? Are the poles about to flip?

The reality is, this was just an earthquake, a natural event. At a time and place where the power of the earthquake was able to lift the ocean itself and throw it onto our human world and wash many of us away. It has happened before and it will likely happen again.

We should have more respect for our world, we should have more caring and concern for our fellow humans, not just in times like these, but always.

We can give in the form of donations and aid to the impacted regions, we can do everything we can think of to �help�. The reality is that is all we can do. We can give till it hurts, but realize it is not going to make this tragedy go away, it will not erase the unmistakable sense of insignificance.. Only time can do that. However giving can bring comfort to those left behind all those souls now washed away. Giving what you can now, can and will help these people.

Why only give when there is a natural disaster?

Why does it take death and destruction to bring �us� together?

Why only in times like these are world governments and leaders able to set aside differences?

Why does this all quickly fade away with the news coverage of these events?

We are only human... Flawed, good, evil, loving, hateful, caring, oblivious, fragile and insignificant.

Gazz

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I would like to think Kuwait could dig a bit deeper and put another few Million $$$ Dollars in the barrel. After what was done for them a few years ago...

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK

Southern India is also being shaken...
Since The BIG One there has been 83 Aftershocks in the region
With the biggest one topping off at 6.2...

6 Quakes have occured in California since.....

The thing I am worried about is How the Cumbre Vieja volcano may be effected by all of this.....

We like to imagine the earth as a relatively stable place to live, raise our families, & enjoy all that life has to offer... and indeed the past numerous millennia have been relatively 'stable', on a planet-lifecycle timeline vs human lifecycles.

However, I'm curious how this recent massive quake-- along with the changes scientists claim have already occurred as a result-- will affect the "SuperVolcano" that consumes almost the ENTIRE state of Wyoming!

In fact, geysers (like 'old faithful') & other geothermal activity seen at Yellowstone Park are actually the surface/dome of that SuperVolcano!... AND, the dome has been expanding upward quite dramatically over recent decades!

Scientists believe the last Wyoming SuperVolcano erruption extinguished almost all life from our planet. Obviously, this would be exponentially worse than our present Tsunami disaster, AND, it appears we're overdue for another such MASSIVE erruption.

Over the past two million years, the Yellowstone supervolcano has erupted every 600,000 years. It was 640,000 years ago when it last exploded.

SuperVolcanoes, SuperTsunami, SuperHurricanes, Super Comets & Asteroids, Super Solar Flares...

The harsh reality proves we exist on an unpredictable planet, in an unpredicatble solar system, universe, & cosmos... all of which we're still in our infancy of understanding with any truely accurate degree of comprehension.

This is precisely why we need to urgently consider expanding the human race throughout the universe-- if we sincerely wish to insure the survival of our species. Yet, we don't even have colonies on the moon. At any moment, we could be quickly eliminated by enormous natural, cosmic, OR, unfortunately even self-imposed man-made disasters.

As we're repeatedly &, yes, recently reminded-- these threats are VERY real & quite serious, thereby perhaps dictating a new heightened intensified sense of urgency not readily present among our OR other nations-- at least not to our public knowledge anyway.

Meanwhile- cherrish every moment & make the most of ALL valuable moments. Try not to get easily drawn into those silly petty things we allow to clutter, cling, & consume our precious time... remember- W.W.S.D! (my new discovery! see below) Live life to its ultimate fullest while its still plump with enlightenment & ripe with opportunities just waiting to be enjoyed & experienced!!!

SAS

Related Links:

W.W.S.D! "What Would Skippy Do" (Thanks Kano!)

Yellowstone Alert!

Cheniere.org -- BBC - Horizon - Supervolcanoes

Google Search- yellow stone OR yellowstone supervolcano

###

[edit on 31-12-2004 by SecretAss_sassin]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
News with some hope:

PORT BLAIR, India (Reuters) - India's dwindling aboriginal population in the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands is safe as most lived in jungles, far away from the coast hit by a devastating tsunami, a coast guard official said on Thursday.
Experts had feared that some Stone Age tribal people, who have been living on the far-flung archipelago for thousands of years, could be on the verge of extinction after the killer waves that have killed more than 120,000 people across Asia.

"There have been several media reports talking about a threat to the aborigines, indigenous people and tribals of the islands," Vice Admiral Arun Kumar Singh, director-general of the Coast Guard, which is involved in rescue operations, told reporters.

I hope that that this is true -If so - I'm happy that They could survive...

Science -Reuters

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I saw an article saying some Russian scientist warning of more devestaing Tsunamis in the Atlantic on Alex Jones Prison Planet yesterday. It appears to have disappeared. Does anyone have the link to this article?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Why did this thread show up in the War on Terrorism board? Are you trying to state that this was a terrorist attack?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Why did this thread show up in the War on Terrorism board? Are you trying to state that this was a terrorist attack?

When an ATSNN news report has ALERT! in the title it shows in all news related forums.

[edit on 31-12-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Recommended site. The New York Times has an awesome collection of graphics which include the simulation of the tidal wave as it traveled all the was to the African coast.

The section with the interactive graphics is at the top right hand side.

www.nytimes.com...

Of particular interest is the link entitled Indonesia: Before and After (after the window loads up select Photos:Impact => Before and After) which shows a series of satellite shots taken of Banda Aceh, Indonesia in June of this year, and then again on the 28th of December. This is the first comparison I have seen that really drives home the devastation for Indonesia.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A little more on the topic of conspiracy could a nuke deployed on a fault line correctly cause a disaster of this magnitude? It occured to me today that there are many countries in this area involved in Nuclear testing programmes. Just wondering if anyone would have facts on if that could cause such an event?

Alot of smaller countries are very involved in donation and relief efforts. Was watching sky news this night and seen the prime minister of Ireland telling of over 10 million euros in gov aid and nearly 2 million euros from the population of over 3 million, which donations still strong. I respect nations like that. Kudos to every country and every person getting involved. Every dollar helps.

I am visiting asia in February and plan to do aid work when there. Also going to give whatever I can in donation. I hope everyone here does something also. There could be 100,000's of dead people who were alive and well only days ago. Millions homeless and without hope.

This is a horrible event, my heart goes out to the familys and people effected

[edit on 31-12-2004 by pugleon]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pugleon
A little more on the topic of conspiracy could a nuke deployed on a fault line correctly cause a disaster of this magnitude? It occured to me today that there are many countries in this area involved in Nuclear testing programmes. Just wondering if anyone would have facts on if that could cause such an event?

en.wikipedia.org...

The total energy released by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake is equivalent to 32,000 megatons of TNT

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nope.
Largest nuke ever detonated was 50 megatons, and that was a Russian test nuke.

Not possible.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
More to the point, a nuclear explosion leaves a distinct tracing on a siesmograf. And the tracing all seem to be normal for a natural occuring event. Even one that was underwater.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
looks to be quite a number of quakes today in the same eastern indian area again, maybe 6-7, cant quite tell from this ,gets quite clogged up. Anyone got a good site that lists the quake instead of showing them on a graphic and is also uptodate as this site is?

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join