It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with all the sudden attacks on the South?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Listen, if you really want to attempt to discredit my own personal account of MY experience and knowledge of the south then you are more than welcome to do so but do know I'm just going to laugh and shake my head.

a reply to: pfishy

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

It was definitely a state's rights issue at the time. The right to self-governance. It was a despicable practice, and I am not the least bit in agreement with it, but the Confederate States felt they had the right to maintain the laws on their books and their way of life. Stupid as that sounds, it's the truth.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: cancerslug
the war on the south, as you say is just a cheap scapegoat for the media right now. it is really about a young man with mental problems that no paid attention to. instead of addressing what drove this person to do it and why no one stopped him, lets just focus on a flag. it makes people feel more at ease to think a symbol being removed can prevent it from happening again. kind of reminds of the 80s when stupid kids did stupid things and the media said it was Ozzy Osbourne's fault. not bad parenting, not mental problems, not bullying in school just a singer that made kids do evil deeds. i remember pubic burning of his records and every friend's parents throwing away any tapes of ozzy and Sabbath. the funny thing that happened with all that was it made so many more people get into Ozzy. kind of like now, people that never really paid any attention to that flag are now buying and flying that flag.

THIS ^
Why now? Why is it all suddenly about a flag and statues and streets?
Because The Media Said So and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon and be seen having the popular opinion.

Does it really matter why how or why? To me as long as it happens who cares just don't buy into the political nonsense. Most policy by these pundits is racist. Sure they aren't fighting to get job training and education into minority inner cities with extreme poverty. However, celebrating slavery and being insensitive to a population of the united states that were enslaved is a problem.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyJae

i said trucker hats cause i see that flag patched onto mostly trucker hats.
call it what you what.

that said, i have my own mental images of what confederate flag apparel supporters look like.
you may not agree with it but i really dont care.

it is not obvious to me that it will one day be illegal.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

I'm not trying to do that at all. I'm just saying that I recall the same South you described, and I have watched it change since then.

link   

originally posted by: pfishy

It was definitely a state's rights issue at the time. The right to self-governance. It was a despicable practice, and I am not the least bit in agreement with it, but the Confederate States felt they had the right to maintain the laws on their books and their way of life. Stupid as that sounds, it's the truth.

So what? Hitler thought Aryans had the right to do what he did. It doesn't matter at all what states thought nor is it a valid argument.

link   

Maybe a little 'shine to take with us when we go out and rock on the porch.
2nd

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

the war on the south, as you say is just a cheap scapegoat for the media right now. it is really about a young man with mental problems that no paid attention to. instead of addressing what drove this person to do it and why no one stopped him, lets just focus on a flag. it makes people feel more at ease to think a symbol being removed can prevent it from happening again. kind of reminds of the 80s when stupid kids did stupid things and the media said it was Ozzy Osbourne's fault. not bad parenting, not mental problems, not bullying in school just a singer that made kids do evil deeds. i remember pubic burning of his records and every friend's parents throwing away any tapes of ozzy and Sabbath. the funny thing that happened with all that was it made so many more people get into Ozzy. kind of like now, people that never really paid any attention to that flag are now buying and flying that flag.

If the flag wasn't there this wouldn't be an issue though. Would you be ok with Germany flying nazi flags because its part of history?

Yeah the media is making a big deal for there own interest but it doesn't mean in this case I doesn't benefit society.

enough with the nazi flag BS. not even close. if Germany was still flying that flag and was under fascist rule, a symbol would be the last thing we would focus on. is that the best argument you can come up with? my family lost most of our blood line to the nazis. my point is the flag is not the reason the shooting happened. taking it away fixes nothing. and banning it will only turn more people on to it. do you think removing some thing makes every thing all right?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I will agree and say that it has gotten better but their is still a long way to go and I can't help but feel like the things that some of the worst bigots of them all appreciate should be attacked and abolished. Their way of life (bigots that is not southerners) needs to be attacked and criticized fiercely until they get the point. STFU or play nice with everybody.

Unfortunately their may be a few who genuinely feel like that flag is part of their heritage but you know what...maybe those ones should have fought harder to clean up the public national image of the south. I can assure you that many people joke about the south and it's uneducated ways. When I was stationed in NC we liked to say "NC first in flight, 48th in education".

a reply to: pfishy

Note to add that their are direct links between lack of a quality education and things such as bigotry, crime and violence.
edit on CDTWed, 24 Jun 2015 09:25:41 -0500amppAmerica/Chicago24-05:00Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:25:41 -050025 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Maybe a little 'shine to take with us when we go out and rock on the porch.
2nd

Of course. I'll just sip on my Mint Julep though. Little ole me doesn't do well with shine

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

If the flag wasn't there this wouldn't be an issue though. Would you be ok with Germany flying nazi flags because its part of history?

Yeah the media is making a big deal for there own interest but it doesn't mean in this case I doesn't benefit society.

enough with the nazi flag BS. not even close. if Germany was still flying that flag and was under fascist rule, a symbol would be the last thing we would focus on. is that the best argument you can come up with? my family lost most of our blood line to the nazis. my point is the flag is not the reason the shooting happened. taking it away fixes nothing. and banning it will only turn more people on to it. do you think removing some thing makes every thing all right?

So what if it wont solve this murder. It isn't about that. Who cares what the reason is until its done.

Slavery is fascist. Look it up. Lots of peoples families died during the practice of slavery. Your comment is absurd. Some how the pain of your family is not equivalent to the pain of families of slaves?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Well, yes it does matter when and why. Till the shooter at the church was associated with the flag, there was no big out cry. Now? You can't turn on the TV or read an article without it jumping out at you. It's people and politicians finding some thing to point at and blame. This is all about perception. How the political candidates and leaders want to be seen, how people themselves want to be seen. And how they want to see themselves.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Well, yes it does matter when and why. Till the shooter at the church was associated with the flag, there was no big out cry. Now? You can't turn on the TV or read an article without it jumping out at you. It's people and politicians finding some thing to point at and blame. This is all about perception. How the political candidates and leaders want to be seen, how people themselves want to be seen. And how they want to see themselves.

Do you think we should celebrate the confederacy or not?

I don't think it matters at all to the people who's families lived through slavery as long as they don't have it in there face all the time.
edit on 24-6-2015 by luthier because: typo

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

i said trucker hats cause i see that flag patched onto mostly trucker hats.
call it what you what.

that said, i have my own mental images of what confederate flag apparel supporters look like.
you may not agree with it but i really dont care.

it is not obvious to me that it will one day be illegal.

I see. Congratulations! You just invented a stereotype. The same sort of foolishness that led to the enslavement of a people. The same sort of foolishness that continues to divide this nation.

Your stereotyped image of truckers offends me mightily. I hate stereotypes. They say more about the stereotyper than the person(s) stereotyped. You may not agree with that, but I really don't care.

If you live long enough, you will see that privilege (along with others) denied.

Jas

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Maybe I read too much ATS, but doesn't it sound mighty coincidental that there seems to be a media incited race war and an attempt to rile up the southern states, coinciding with the Jade Helm nonsense?

At the same time infiltrating the civilian population with unmarked soldiers.

Great way to remove more rights. Introduce/cause problem, offer solution.

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: edit

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Maybe I read too much ATS, but doesn't it sound mighty coincidental that there seems to be a media incited race war and an attempt to rile up the southern states, coinciding with the Jade Helm nonsense?

At the same time infiltrating the civilian population with unmarked soldiers.

Great way to remove anymore rights. Introduce/cause problem, offer solution.

It may have backfired the way the church members handled it. One of the most incredible responses I have ever seen. Someone finally read what Jesus said. Not that I believe any of the bible but its actually in there to have there response as opposed to the Christians love of the death penalty.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Everything might be part of the exercise.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

the thing is i didnt say anything about truckers.
i was talking about trucker hats.
are truckers the only people that wear trucker hats?
i think not

be offended. dont be offended. i really dont care.

i know what images pop into my head. thats just the way it is.

you may think of 1 'type' of person when you think of a supporter or someone that wears the flag.
i tihnk of a different 'type' all together

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

Well, I will happily agree that the work isn't complete. Just saying that progress has been and is being made. And as far as the flag goes, it's an antiquated chip that idiots carry on their shoulders. But to allow what that young psycho did to be reason to bash the entire South is just wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Maybe it has to do with the South's strange fascination over a war started for and fought over the fear of ending slavery of black people, which was brought to people's attention by a racist Southerner trying to start a race war.
edit on 24-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join