It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with all the sudden attacks on the South?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

Huh?
2nd

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Yeah, huh?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
I'm suddenly quite hungry for some extremely undignified gumbo, with a side of unruly rice and a glass of uncouth sweet tea.
The media idiots are just doing what they always do. Taking the latest unfounded cause and running it down the track until it dies or they find something newer to cry about (Dolenzal, anyone?)
It's just another chance for them to pander to special interests and justify their existence.

That is true but in this case its also the right thing to do. Its long over due.

Now the politicians scrambling to make it a cause who previously had nothing to do with it is gross. They are all trying to prove they aren't racist. Well sorry your policy has already determined that. Like Clinton's mandatory minimums for drug possession vs rand pauls attack on the drug war. Or Bernie sanders fighting citizens united.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Also op who is attacking the south? Yeah the flag on government property but thats all I have seen.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Perhaps they should also ban antebellum houses, antiques, gardens and as some one posted here, screen doors and sweet ice tea. What the heck.. They should just ban the south and all of us that live here.
That'll learn 'em.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: maybee
Perhaps they should also ban antebellum houses, antiques, gardens and as some one posted here, screen doors and sweet ice tea. What the heck.. They should just ban the south and all of us that live here.
That'll learn 'em.

Right because a flag representing the confederacy and its constitution as well as statues of confederate savages in public squares is the same thing.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
the war on the south, as you say is just a cheap scapegoat for the media right now. it is really about a young man with mental problems that no paid attention to. instead of addressing what drove this person to do it and why no one stopped him, lets just focus on a flag. it makes people feel more at ease to think a symbol being removed can prevent it from happening again. kind of reminds of the 80s when stupid kids did stupid things and the media said it was Ozzy Osbourne's fault. not bad parenting, not mental problems, not bullying in school just a singer that made kids do evil deeds. i remember pubic burning of his records and every friend's parents throwing away any tapes of ozzy and Sabbath. the funny thing that happened with all that was it made so many more people get into Ozzy. kind of like now, people that never really paid any attention to that flag are now buying and flying that flag.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

yes and that sounds like our ban on the cross hanging in schools. Bavaria didn't care, got and gets flamed about it. Seems, the southern states are in the same position - there does not come any good out of it.

Any state beyond the imaginary, yet very real border is pointing their finger, the south doesn't care, and in turn anybody beyond that border considers the south backwardly, behind, stubborn and yes, a bit stupid.

It may be history, but a little discussion about the terms and boundaries of presenting it in such an obvious manner should be possible.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: cancerslug
the war on the south, as you say is just a cheap scapegoat for the media right now. it is really about a young man with mental problems that no paid attention to. instead of addressing what drove this person to do it and why no one stopped him, lets just focus on a flag. it makes people feel more at ease to think a symbol being removed can prevent it from happening again. kind of reminds of the 80s when stupid kids did stupid things and the media said it was Ozzy Osbourne's fault. not bad parenting, not mental problems, not bullying in school just a singer that made kids do evil deeds. i remember pubic burning of his records and every friend's parents throwing away any tapes of ozzy and Sabbath. the funny thing that happened with all that was it made so many more people get into Ozzy. kind of like now, people that never really paid any attention to that flag are now buying and flying that flag.

If the flag wasn't there this wouldn't be an issue though. Would you be ok with Germany flying nazi flags because its part of history?

Yeah the media is making a big deal for there own interest but it doesn't mean in this case I doesn't benefit society.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

yes and that sounds like our ban on the cross hanging in schools. Bavaria didn't care, got and gets flamed about it. Seems, the southern states are in the same position - there does not come any good out of it.

Any state beyond the imaginary, yet very real border is pointing their finger, the south doesn't care, and in turn anybody beyond that border considers the south backwardly, behind, stubborn and yes, a bit stupid.

It may be history, but a little discussion about the terms and boundaries of presenting it in such an obvious manner should be possible.

More like Germany not flying nazi flags on capitals.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Ok, sorry, but comparing Jefferson Davis to Adolf Hitler is really a stretch. While I find the concept of slavery thoroughly reprehensible, the Civil War was an issue of State's Rights. NOT a war of aggression to conquer a continent and exterminate an entire religion. The Confederate States were standing against what they saw as their economic demise due to tariffs levied by the North and for what they saw as the right of each state to self-governance.

Yes, the statues are a remnant of a very ugly time in the history of this nation, and I have no problem with them being relegated to museums. But your analogy does not stand.

link   
" What's with all the sudden attacks on the South? "

The 2016 election campaign themes are being tested.

The fallouts from the 2014 November election slaughters are regaining consciousness.

edit on Jun-24-2015 by xuenchen because: ... --- ...

link   
As someone who was born in the south and lived there most of my life their is a part of me that feels a sadness for the animosity towards the south currently taking place. Then their is a part of me that thinks hey maybe they deserve it. I went to a predominately black middle school in Jacksonville FL, the name of that school was Jefferson Davis. The high school I would have went to had we not moved was even worse being Nathan B Forrest high school also predominately black.

I never gave this any thought as a child but as I grew older and learned more about history I couldn't help but think "man that is pretty messed up if not ironic. I wonder if anyone has ever complained or even noticed."

I've seen the flag issue come and go before, I've seen people argue over the differences of why it is ok to wear a giant X as in Malcom X t-shirt but not a dixie cross. I have never seen the anti south rhetoric as bad as it is now though but then again a small part of me can't help but say maybe it is time for some real change. Get with the times southerners being a bigot and I know not all of you are is no longer the IN thing to do, get with the times.

I'd also like to say to those southerners that are kind and gentle to all people of different varieties GOOD on YOU. Unfortunately that has never been the majority in the deep south and if the shoe fits wear it. Perhaps it is time for those reasonable voices to come forward and denounce the ways of old.

I love grits, fried chicken and homemade mac and cheese by the way.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: cancerslug

THIS ^
Why now? Why is it all suddenly about a flag and statues and streets?
Because The Media Said So and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon and be seen having the popular opinion.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

More like Germany not flying nazi flags on capitals.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
after columbine there was all sorts of talks about banning certain types of metal music. protesting marylin manson and cancelling his shows.

this is what happens after a negative incident.

people are just crying cause they want to fly that flag and not be labelled racist.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: luthier

Ok, sorry, but comparing Jefferson Davis to Adolf Hitler is really a stretch. While I find the concept of slavery thoroughly reprehensible, the Civil War was an issue of State's Rights. NOT a war of aggression to conquer a continent and exterminate an entire religion. The Confederate States were standing against what they saw as their economic demise due to tariffs levied by the North and for what they saw as the right of each state to self-governance.

Yes, the statues are a remnant of a very ugly time in the history of this nation, and I have no problem with them being relegated to museums. But your analogy does not stand.

Its not the same for the world but for the people tortured by slave owners and confederate soldiers it is. Also the constitution of the confederacy does say you can't take slavery away. If you are slavery is a states rights issue I just don't know what to say.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
a reply to: DAVID64

people can fly the flag at their homes and wear their confederate trucker hats.

For now, the flag can be flown at private residences. Its only a matter of time before that privilege is taken away. That should be obvious.

Why does bearing the Confederate flag make it a trucker hat? That's quite the prejudicial phrase. Do we now call for the banning of all brimmed caps?

Undignified. Oh, my. Anyone care to join me in a meal of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn bread and sweet tea? We'll be having pecan pie for desert.

J

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
As someone who was born in the south and lived there most of my life their is a part of me that feels a sadness for the animosity towards the south currently taking place. Then their is a part of me that thinks hey maybe they deserve it. I went to a predominately black middle school in Jacksonville FL, the name of that school was Jefferson Davis. The high school I would have went to had we not moved was even worse being Nathan B Forrest high school also predominately black.

I never gave this any thought as a child but as I grew older and learned more about history I couldn't help but think "man that is pretty messed up if not ironic. I wonder if anyone has ever complained or even noticed."

I've seen the flag issue come and go before, I've seen people argue over the differences of why it is ok to wear a giant X as in Malcom X t-shirt but not a dixie cross. I have never seen the anti south rhetoric as bad as it is now though but then again a small part of me can't help but say maybe it is time for some real change. Get with the times southerners being a bigot and I know not all of you are is no longer the IN thing to do, get with the times.

I'd also like to say to those southerners that are kind and gentle to all people of different varieties GOOD on YOU. Unfortunately that has never been the majority in the deep south and if the shoe fits wear it. Perhaps it is time for those reasonable voices to come forward and denounce the ways of old.

I love grits, fried chicken and homemade mac and cheese by the way.

How long ago did you move out of the South? There has been plenty schools renamed from things like Forrest to something different. And not this week, either. Yes, there are still racists down here, but the south doesn't have an exclusive contract on bigotry. It's just an easy target to point to and belittle any time the topic is brought up. And since I was younger until not, I have noticed MAJOR shifts in that sort of attitude in this wonderful part of the country. I even read a news piece recently that stated the KKK idiots were whining because they can barely find new recruits in the last several years. And thank goodness for that.
But I don't think the broad brush you were painting with is nearly as applicable as you recall it to be.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The confederate flag issue is a small sample of things to come. Trust me, this country is becoming so politically correct, easily offended, and hyper-sensitive, that everything and anything is going to "offend" someone.

My sister works at a major university, and staff members are continually warned that they better not offend anyone.
The cafeteria there serves a wide variety of foods in an attempt to please everyone. Someone on the menu planning staff was admonished because they had a lunch menu that featured fried chicked (as one choice of 8 entrees), and watermelon as a dessert option. (Among a dozen other dessert options)

Some of the politically-correct police were aghast. The menu option was "racist", insensitive and offensive.
(This isn't even one of the sillier incidents!)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join