It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woot Woot! Finally, Racism is OVER!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't like when a minority dictates how the majority will function. Period. This is my bitch. When a small group uses Political Correctness to drive public opinion their way, despite the proper channels, it's against everything we as a nation are about. Yet it seems to be the way things work now. My "strawman" about the plant being deemed evil is along those same lines. I just tried to put my point into something you could relate a bit closer to. I get that we disagree, but if you don't comprehend why I feel the way I do, then you aren't disagreeing, you aren't understanding.
edit on 24-6-2015 by network dude because: bad spler

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Your point? Who's being oppressed? So, Mitch McConnell says something (for political gain) and that's oppression? Some punk tagged a statue. First time that's ever happened for sure...

Look, if the people want to move in this direction, they are free to do so. It doesn't hurt anyone to keep the government properties free from divisive symbols.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Yes it IS more than just a flag. THANK YOU!

It is a symbol of a set of states repressing, owning and using black slave labor to advance themselves. It is a symbol of that same state deciding to throw a hissy fit and leave the union and kill others based on their ideals. Yes I am well aware that federal vs state rights were on the line but part of those state right included slavery which said Southern colonies did not want to give up.

I liken it to the remaining tattoos on the wrists and arms of encamped Jews in WWII. Now some of those ex-prisoners decided to keep them and some wanted to remove. So if I was one of those ex-prisoners and I completely removed and obliterated my tattoo, does that erase the past and what happened to me? No it does not. To me, the people crying "history" have this absolutely hysterical idea that removing said flag somehow negates the history of SC/MS/etc. Think about a less controversial flag for a moment. ((though I wonder how many truly exist))

If Chicago removed all Chicago or Illinois flags from their property, does it erase Illinois' history? When the flag leaves a building is there some Harry Potteresque magic that suddenly blinks the history of Illinois from every human's memory? No...so this whole "mah history" thing is really wacky. NOTHING CHANGES.

Now..as far as sellers deciding to no longer offer these flags/memorabilia...so what? Their choice right? I've heard the arguments from the ultra-cons about "Amazon has no right to not sell this flag!" Well that's interesting because it seems to me those same cons (pun intended) had no problem with Hobby Lobby deciding what is acceptable for a woman's health and supported a pizza place because "freedom!" And yet here we are again...Does Amazon/eBay/etc have those same rights to sell what they want to sell or is this that whole "equality and freedom for all...but a bit more for me" thing?

People can still fly this flag all they want

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Look, it's obvious you aren't getting this at all. I put this in the same category as the small group of people who went out searching for someone who was offended by the sports teams named after native Americans. Eventually they did find a few people, but it was a struggle. I fully believe those people, however noble minded they may have been, are complete and total idiots. They are a group with a hammer, searching desperately for a nail.

In this instance, we have a similar group wanting to remove (just this one thing from just this one place), but as the rest of the world sees, as the flag is being 'voluntarily removed' (see also, pressured by the PC minority)it's under attack in all it's forms.
The Dukes of friggin Hazzard. Let that one sink in. That's messing on the fighting side of me.

It starts with this one small thing. Then it becomes much, much easier to point to this one thing to use against a few other little things. Silly # like freedom, liberty, justice are way off in the distant future.

You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything. -Aaron Tippin

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero
No...so this whole "mah history" thing is really wacky. NOTHING CHANGES.

When it's no longer acceptable in "today's society" to display the rebel flag, what will have changed then?

As you said, nothing. But, at least we know how to go about removing things we don't like now, right?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Actually you are 100% wrong. Public opinion is a matter of free speech. Public shaming and similar arguments are 100% covered by the 1st Amendment. Also, not listening to those accounts (example: Dan Snyder) is also 100% protected by the 1st Amendment.

Because the government isn't allowed to legislate on these matters, swaying public opinion is the only way to massively change people's minds. This is how it has ALWAYS been done in this country. You only see a problem when the small group of people are advocating for a social change that you don't agree with. Though I wonder. Do you agree with campaigns like this when it is a small group of people trying to get you to care about world hunger?
edit on 24-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The sad thing is okay, great. It's gone from public grounds.

Drive down the road and see it in the back window of a truck. See it on a vanity tag (not a license plate, mind you), see it in a living room window, see it flying in a yard, see it on a pole next to somebody's front door....

So what's next? Ban the manufacture and sale? Ban the display on cars? Ban the display on private property?

The potential for the proverbial snowball effect is pretty big on this one.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

No one is banning anything, and it would be unconstitutional to do so.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

No one is banning anything, and it would be unconstitutional to do so.

Quoted for posterity.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

The potential for the proverbial snowball effect is pretty big on this one.

Ding Ding.. no more calls please, we have a winner.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Go ahead. I'll eat my own shoe and put it on youtube for the world to see if a ban came down from the government on the Confederate flag. You can quote this for posterity's sake as well.

ETA: Now that is an ACTUAL ban, not just removing the flag from a government building.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I don't believe it will be outright banned. The hard part is already done. The flag is now forever associated with this event.
It's now a symbol of racism due to the Roof kid being a douche.

Public opinion seems quite persuasive. Up until a few years ago, the public thought you could be addicted to pot and it would make you crazy, lazy and violent.

But who cares about public opinion right?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

They're not going to allow it to be flown on the capital grounds. Or that's what they want, anyway. And I don't disagree with that.

But now there's talk of removing it from sons of confederate veterans license plates. That's an organization that you can only belong to by proving direct or collateral descent from a CSA veteran. It's not as if every redneck yahoo can go out and get that tag on their car. But they CAN go out and get a vanity tag for it.

I'm sorry, but if you don't see that possibility of this getting blown out of proportion then I don't know what to tell you. Again, I have no problem with it not being flown on state buildings or state grounds. But telling a guy who is a direct descendent of some private who didn't even own land, let alone slaves, that he can't have his license plate anymore? Kind of opening the door to other acts of legislation.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I don't believe it will be outright banned. The hard part is already done. The flag is now forever associated with this event.

Dude, the flag has been associated with racism for a LONG time. I've already pointed out to you earlier in the thread that this issue has popped up in Charleston over and over again dating all the way back to when they first put it up 50 years ago. It's just nice that FINALLY there was an event to push the issue to the point of making the state government actually DO something about it. It just sucks that 9 people including a Senator had to be gunned down though in order for a racist symbol to be removed from a state building, and it may not even happen. The state legislators could STILL vote this down.

Public opinion seems quite persuasive. Up until a few years ago, the public thought you could be addicted to pot and it would make you crazy, lazy and violent.

But who cares about public opinion right?

Well the reason people believed that about pot is because that is what the government told them... Heck the government STILL hasn't abandoned most of its anti-pot propaganda despite next to no one believing it anymore. I think that example is a BIT different than this flag. Like I said earlier when you brought up marijuana, no one even knew marijuana was an issue when Anslinger forced Congress to vote ban marijuana. Also fun fact: Part of the reason marijuana is banned is for racist reasons.

There is no debating it. This flag's history is STEEPED in racism. It may have even been PUT on the capital building for racist reasons. This isn't a matter of public opinion, it's a matter of right and wrong, and it is wrong to fly that flag. Even without the racist reasons it shows defiance to the federal government. Something that I'm sure the state government shouldn't be sanctioning.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

License plates are government issued certificates. Even vanity plates are state issued. So the government has the authority to revoke them. If your state is doing this and you disagree, then maybe you should petition one of your state legislators about it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Spare me the tone man. Believe it or not, I was aware that license plates are issued by the government.

I frankly couldn't give a damn less whether the flag stays or goes, plates stay or go. My people didn't get here till after the turn of the century. When I say vanity tag I'm referring to the ones you can buy at a gas station that are full on confederate flag, not the ones that have a tiny flag in an emblem on it.

The point is that people want the flag removed from public grounds. Got it. Don't see anything wrong with that. But now it's moving to license plates. And toys. And clothing. And anything at all that has the flag on it, if you're Walmart or other retailers.

It's ALREADY snowballing. How anybody can deny that boggles my mind.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Actually the discussion HASN'T jumped out of the domain of where the government can and can't legislate it. All the places the government is talking about removing it, they are Constitutionally allowed to do so.

All the retailers who are removing the flag from merchandise are doing it willingly and aren't being forced to do it. You may not like it, but it is the business' decision to make it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Quoting myself...

Typical idiots Americans. Yes...I am American, just not an idiot. A racist, evil, monster killed a bunch of black people in a church. FRY HIM! SKIN HIM! I'm all for it. But what do we do...we point at a flag, ban it, stop selling it on Amazon, start changing the names of places...etc. What the HELL does that fix??? It doesn't change anyone's mind, anyone's history or anyone's racism (as little that actually exists).

Do you know why we didn't go into Nazi Germany and pull down their flags and just go home? Because if you don't fix or get rid of the people that are evil, you have fixed nothing. Ban the KKK outfit...nothing happens. Ban Islamic flags...nothing changes. Ban the ISIS flag...still nothing.

Such stupidity...such a waste of time, energy, money...for absolutely nothing. The Confederate flag will continue and may even become a martyr of this idiocy. And what next? Ban every Lynyrd Skynyrd album...some have a Confederate flag. How about painted guitars, many country style bars, attack pickup trucks and rip down their stickers...yeah...go for it.

Are we really...really this stupid? Are we really this petty and ignorant of the problems where we can do nothing but put a bandaid on the symptom and pretend we did something wonderful?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Ahahaha the kind of things you can read here. And why did this douche wave that flag in the first place but because it is also a symbol of white supremacism ?

Denial and butthurtedness are strong in this thread.

It's all because of that kid!

Racism doesn't really exist and the confederate flag is in no way used and abused by white supremacists !

^^^^
These are nazi symbols BTW but no there are absolutely no connections in America between racists pricks and the confederate flag. Nope sir, no connections at all!

Wake up sheeples ! It's all a ploy to make people start a race war ! There is no such things as white supremacists in America ! They are all actors working for the NSA !
edit on 25-6-2015 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join