It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate Rattlesnakes!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I've head that the drought is driving them in to water. Not just because they need the water but also because all the things they like to eat are concentrating around the water.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

It is not pointless. Unfortunately, in areas with severe rainfall deficiencies, snakes move to where they can find water. Often,that will be your house! Moving them does not help because they just come back and is dangerous in any case.

Snakes near your house is just a death waiting to happen. Sometimes, you have no choice. I will not risk my pets or my children. I will also never kill a snake or another animal just for fun. It is not fun. They can be fun to eat though.

I do agree with your sentiments but you need to be practical at the same time.

P

edit on 24/6/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Slightly off topic, but Lloyd Cole and the Commotions did a particularly good song called Rattlesnakes, that was one of the several soundtracks of an earlier life.

To topic. If you live in a place with snakes like rattlesnakes, then it is incumbent on you to live with them. You need to adapt to the environment around you. Just my view mind.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

taste like chicken! But if I were him I would invest in a head lamp and really high galvanized boots!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Yep, nasty little bastards. I've been struck at a few times down in Florida. I love it when they strike at you, then rattle.

Nothing I've seen compares to the water moccasin though. They are fast, and highly aggressive, as well as deadly.

I had one chase me from the middle of a pond when I shined my light on it. It almost got me, I was walking backwards, tripping on sticks, dragging my dog. Not cool.

Turtle skin lightweight kevlar gaiters are pretty sweet for hiking in hot weather. Below the knee cut.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I am glad you told me about the cavity thing because I have a bunch of cavity's that I need to get fixed and I would have done that exact thing. What exactly happens when it goes into your teeth?
Also what does a snake bite kit consist of?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Yeah I usually bring one of these along, although I haven't used it yet. Also for bear and mountain lion protection on my property.

www.hydrogalaxy.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Thanks for the advise. I am definitely going to educate myself a little more, just in case.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Well I am glad that the news stations warned me, oh wait they are still talking about flags and such, guess that is more important.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Haha, I got bit by a rabid raccoon when I was younger. I had to get the shots. Am I immune now, probably not.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Yes that sounds about right. I didn't think they could strike after they were dead. I remember old guys used to tell us kids to bury the head if we killed a rattler, as the bees or yellow jackets would get in em and get the venom on them. I don't know if there was any truth to that.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Just make sure you always wear good quality leather boots (the majority of bites occur below the ankles) and make sure you make lot's of noise, to warn them your coming.

That way, if you get bitten, it's pretty much your own fault.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I know, that's what they do here, strike then rattle. I am like rattle then strike jerk snake! I am glad there is no moccasins here, I have heard they like to chase you just like the king cobra.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I pulled out my thick rubber wellingtons I use for winter. Do you Think a fang could make it through those?
It would be my own fault in any snake bite situation, short of someone holding it and making it bite me.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter

I am glad you told me about the cavity thing because I have a bunch of cavity's that I need to get fixed and I would have done that exact thing. What exactly happens when it goes into your teeth?
Also what does a snake bite kit consist of?

I would imagine you'd be poisoned, especially if the venom gets into the blood stream. If there were exposed nerves I think they'd be killed by the venom, too.
Here's a kit. It looks like a pump to draw the venom out. According to this article they're next to useless. I didn't know that.
Remember that if you cut off a rattlesnake's head you can still be bitten. Nervous response may make the jaws close. Also, like a bee, even though it's dead it still has venom. If the fangs puncture your skin you can be poisoned.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

They tell you to bury the head cause they dont want you picking up the severed head and trying to throw it away cause of the high risk of it still being able to bite long after its death.

Just handle it with a shovel.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Haha, I got bit by a rabid raccoon when I was younger. I had to get the shots. Am I immune now, probably not.

The immunity fades over time. You would need a blood titration to know for sure, but you are probably no longer immune. Rabies is a very nasty way to go so if you get bit you should consult the local health department. They should also know the closest ER where you can get snake anitvenin

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Good to know, thanks.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Thanks!
So... I go ahead and google it, and guess what, it's endemic to Australia, lol.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join