It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning the US flag as well.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Nah, they'll keep the US flag. The have to. The illusion is they are removing racist bigoted "symbols" at the local levels, but the reality is they are erasing local culture and historically significant icons.

First the rebel flag, then monuments, street names, museum pieces, anything that reminds people of independence and individual or states rights.

Rewriting history.

Independence Day, whats that?

Oh, BBQ and fireworks in the park.

edit on 25-6-2015 by intrptr because: spelling, change

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

You will,you will =)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

Just one source, there are others.

Although, I'm sure some will continue to believe what they want to.

Myth #1: The Civil War wasn't about slavery.

The most widespread myth is also the most basic. Across America, 60 percent to 75 percent of high-school history teachers believe and teach that the South seceded for state's rights, said Jim Loewen, author of "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong" (Touchstone, 1996) and co-editor of "The Confederate and Neo-Confederate Reader: The 'Great Truth' about the 'Lost Cause'" (University Press of Mississippi, 2010). "It's complete B.S.," Loewen told LiveScience. "And by B.S., I mean 'bad scholarship.'" In fact, Loewen said, the original documents of the Confederacy show quite clearly that the war was based on one thing: slavery. For example, in its declaration of secession, Mississippi explained, "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world … a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization." In its declaration of secession, South Carolina actually comes out against the rights of states to make their own laws — at least when those laws conflict with slaveholding. "In the State of New York even the right of transit for a slave has been denied by her tribunals," the document reads. The right of transit, Loewen said, was the right of slaveholders to bring their slaves along with them on trips to non-slaveholding states. In its justification of secession, Texas sums up its view of a union built upon slavery: "We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable." The myth that the war was not about slavery seems to be a self-protective one for many people, said Stan Deaton, the senior historian at the Georgia Historical Society. "People think that somehow it demonizes their ancestors," to have fought for slavery, Deaton told LiveScience. But the people fighting at the time were very much aware of what was at stake, Deaton said. "[Defining the war] is our problem," he said. "I don't think it was theirs."
www.livescience.com...

edit on 25-6-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Speak of the DEVIL...conservativetribune.com... Email06.25.15

The Prog efforts will continue.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Flags divide people.

Don't worship a flag.

Serve God and live.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JackReyes
Flags divide people.

Don't worship a flag.

Serve God and live.

Religion doesn't divide people?

No one worships a flag. They support the history and idealism it represents.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You know I find it amusing that the very people claiming that removing the Confederate Flag is akin to white washing history are the VERY same people pushing the narrative that the Civil War wasn't about slavery (which is in itself white washed history).

PS: I've read the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me". It is VERY good and illuminating. I plan on buying more of his books when I get a chance, because I LIKE learning about dirty history.
edit on 25-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

That is a ridiculous paranoid article.

Typical of right wing propaganda.

And I'm not politically liberal, but extremism is extremism.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Why you ask? Oh because all of the killing,genocide and un lawfullness under that flag. Liek killing off the American indians and stealing their land. Or more recently the Excursion into Iraq. Point is the US flag is a symbol of hatred and bigotry to many Native americans. It needs to go just like the confederate flag.

The US flag certainly has blood on it...but it is OURS, warts and all.

The Confederate Flag..or more specifically the battle flag that flies above the capitol of SC was raised in opposition to segregation and before that was General Lee's battle banner that flew in opposition to the USA....is simply NOT our flag.

One IS the flag of the USA...the other is NOT...pretty straight forward.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You know I find it amusing that the very people claiming that removing the Confederate Flag is akin to white washing history are the VERY same people pushing the narrative that the Civil War wasn't about slavery (which is in itself white washed history).

I find it amusing that there are so many people that have no depth perception. They can only see the surface and when people show them there is more below the line of rhetoric, they stick their fingers in their ears and hum.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

PS: I've read the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me". It is VERY good and illuminating. I plan on buying more of his books when I get a chance, because I LIKE learning about dirty history.

Yes.

This subject in variations has been discussed many times on ATS. I've done a lot of reading on it over the years. I know the propaganda.

I haven't read the book yet, but will be getting it for my grandson. I learned about it on Talk Radio discussions when it first came out.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

They just been waiting for a convenient "crisis" to do this…

American eyes, American eyes,

View the world from American eyes.

Bury the past, rob us blind,

And leave nothing behind. --Rage Against the Machine

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I find it amusing that there are so many people that have no depth perception. They can only see the surface and when people show them there is more below the line of rhetoric, they stick their fingers in their ears and hum.

That's called FACTS.

Not revisionist history.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

You aren't talking about me then. I happen to be WELL clued into the arguments that the South uses in defense of this flag. I've lived in the South before. I've seen it all first hand. I'm not even denying that this issue ISN'T partially about heritage. It's just interesting to see the cognitive dissonance displayed by Southerners when they refuse to admit that heritage involves copious amounts of racism.

I've said before that I could give a damn if you or anyone else flies that flag. All I really want is for it to be removed from the capital building since it is inappropriate to be flown there.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Ok, honestly, I got the book on tape myself (well cd). I'd listen to it during my 45 minute to hour commute to and from work every day, but it turned out to be so enthralling that I ended up sitting in my car well after I got home from work one day listening to the rest of it.

That said, I DO really want to read his other books, but I'll probably buy any of them that end up on book on tape first.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Ok, honestly, I got the book on tape myself (well cd). I'd listen to it during my 45 minute to hour commute to and from work every day, ...

Wish I had it now, as I'm off on my 5 hour drive across the desert.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Why you ask? Oh because all of the killing,genocide and un lawfullness under that flag. Liek killing off the American indians and stealing their land. Or more recently the Excursion into Iraq. Point is the US flag is a symbol of hatred and bigotry to many Native americans. It needs to go just like the confederate flag.

No one is "banning" the Confederate Battle Flag. Many people, myself included, simply feel that it should not be flown at any State building. Not that big of a deal except for racists, really.
edit on 25-6-2015 by jaffo because: Spelling error.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I find it ironic, that many of these same people object to Mexicans flying their flag at their personal homes.

They have a deep culture and history with the U.S. as well.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
People argue about the American flag but it wasn't the banner used by the original Europeans that came here.

and all countries have blood on their hands.

Why is it America is the most vilified, look through the history of wars and conquers we look like small potatoes.

www.loeser.us...

edit on 123030p://bThursday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 123030p://bThursday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Temudjin
a reply to: icewater

Never use logic reasoning in a argument, ideals always

Good to know. I will keep that in mind.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join