It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning the US flag as well.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: yuppa

I can't believe all the emotional hyperbole I'm seeing on this topic.

THE CONFEDERATE FLAG IS NOT BANNED! Anyone who desires can have the flag! Put it in your avatar, on your lawn, on YOUR car, on your shirt or on your place of business. There's no ban here.

What are you all talking about ???

I have my own issues with the US flag, and I agree that it represents some pretty messed up things, but the simple fact that the US government applies laws and protections equally to us all (except for LGBT people) means that the US flag belongs to and represents all of us.

I wasnt being serious. Its just aggravating to me they want to ban/remove a flag that dont mean anything that they say it does. im fine with them moving it but its going too far now.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

I wasnt being serious. Its just aggravating to me they want to ban/remove a flag that dont mean anything that they say it does. im fine with them moving it but its going too far now.

Then, WHY do they say it means what they say it does?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Sure, if you want to take the American flag down from government buildings like they want to do with the Confederate flag, I don't care. America means more to me than some random piece of cloth anyways.

Though banning it is extreme, especially since no one is banning the Confederate flag.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Because I have heard it argued aginst for the reasons I LISTED in the OP. I was trying to illustrate a point from a emotional slant. MEtallicus got it off the bat on page 1

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I can't believe all the emotional hyperbole I'm seeing on this topic.

THE CONFEDERATE FLAG IS NOT BANNED! Anyone who desires can have the flag! Put it in your avatar, on your lawn, on YOUR car, on your shirt or on your place of business. There's no ban here.

What are you all talking about ???

I have my own issues with the US flag, and I agree that it represents some pretty messed up things, but the simple fact that the US government applies laws and protections equally to us all (except for LGBT people) means that the US flag belongs to and represents all of us.

Nice.

Your flag represents both the conquerors AND the conquered in your mind.

Nice.

It must be grand to be among the conquerors and be able to make that bold claim on behalf or the conquered.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Sure, if you want to take the American flag down from government buildings like they want to do with the Confederate flag, I don't care. America means more to me than some random piece of cloth anyways.

Though banning it is extreme, especially since no one is banning the Confederate flag.

Walmart has banned it. Amazon has banned it. Ebay has banned it. Now, it's true those are private businesses and can do as they damned well please, but they are banning in based upon emotional rants from squeaky wheels. One wonders just how long it will be before the Federals ban it as well, based upon the same emotional rants by squeaky wheels - which they are fomenting for a desired end.

You, "no one is banning it" - except those who are banning it.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

The federal government doesn't have the authority to ban it, and if it did, all it would take is the law being challenged in court for the Supreme Court to overturn it.

By the way, those stores aren't "banning" the flag, they are just choosing not to sell it as merchandise anymore. Nice try trying to frame the argument as a ban though. A ban is a state issued proclamation that makes possession of the object an actionable offense (jailtime, fines, or both) for having it. Stores don't have the authority to do that, except maybe kick you out of the store for wearing it on your shirt or something. But I don't see many stores kicking people out for sporting racist clothing.
edit on 24-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

You are deficient in your knowledge of history. The nation under which this flag has flown has secured freedom in Europe and Asia for millions of people who would otherwise have been slaughtered by lunatics like Hitler, Hirohito, Pol Pot...the list goes on and includes Saddam Huissein. You may not like the direction we are going now or have for the past decade but that has nothing to do with the greatness of our nation. The sacrifices of the Greatest Generation, the Vietnam era soldiers, marines, and sailors, and todays military who bravely strive to free from oppression those who still live under the fear of death for engaging in or even hoping for simple freedoms that you and I take for granted. You have no idea what you are saying when you spout off about this country and its flag.

Your quarrel is with political leadership. Do something about that. Force them to take this country back to the ideals and principles the flag stands for. Allowing the current Administration to walk all over the Constitution is not what will return this nation to greatness.

It is the leadership who is to blame for our weaknesses and missteps. Not the flag. The flag stands for simple concepts that you and those who speak out against it take for granted (ironically speaking out like you have is one of those freedoms). What you have said on this website would get you persecuted in many countries. Not in the United States. The flag stands for the idea that Americans cannot and will not stand by and let dictators oppress people who simply want basic freedoms. It is the last great hope on planet Earth. When the weak minded start to win in America you will see the leftists best friend Vladimir Putin in Russia spin up his military might and begin the old Soviet policy of expansionism and oppression in countries like Ukraine (which he already has), Lavia, Lithuania, and eventually Poland and the rest. NATO will fight him but without the greatness and resolve of the American People they will fail.

Dont ever desecrate the American flag. Until you walk in the shoes of people who truly have felt the weight of a dictatorship or at least get to know people who have and understand what it feels like to not know if someone is going to bang on your door in the middle of the night and you have a family member disappear over some political ideology you cannot understand its importance to this planet.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Why you ask? Oh because all of the killing,genocide and un lawfullness under that flag. Liek killing off the American indians and stealing their land. Or more recently the Excursion into Iraq. Point is the US flag is a symbol of hatred and bigotry to many Native americans. It needs to go just like the confederate flag.

Geez...Rush Limbaugh predicted this would happen yesterday. Small minds.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Because I have heard it argued aginst for the reasons I LISTED in the OP. I was trying to illustrate a point from a emotional slant. MEtallicus got it off the bat on page 1

OK.

The Amerucan flag evolves in meaning and representation as laws are made and politics change how the country is run.

Does the Confedrate flag's meaning evolve? Seems to me it's holding on to a "what was". So I really don't see the comparison.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean, but I'm pretty sure I don't care, as it seems to be an attempt to insult me. I have made no claims for conquerors or the conquered. I don't even know what you're talking about.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: NthOther

That's not a joke. This whole nation-state thing has proven itself to be a fantastic turd of an idea, due in no small part to the fact that it is perpetuated by people who can be moved to violence through the manipulative use of symbols.

As long as you aren't suggesting a world government or world order then I can get behind that idea to some extent. It would be best if people were completely free and free to exchange goods and services without the intervention of governments and rulers. I don't want anyone in-charge telling me what I can do and how I can do it...just don't infringe on other people and their property and that is about all we need.

This is like day one government 101 stuff. The law of nature, basically anarchy is unachievable because someone always rises to power in a vacuum. What you want is impossible, and laughably short sighted.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

. . . those stores aren't "banning" the flag, they are just choosing not to sell it as merchandise anymore.

Because, we are evolving as a society. Real or imaginary --- the Confederate flag is a symbol representing a negative period of American history that we do not need to have flying in our faces today.

It's time to let it go.

edit on 24-6-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: icewater

The flag stands for the idea that Americans cannot and will not stand by and let dictators oppress people who simply want basic freedoms. It is the last great hope on planet Earth.

I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
And here's the Pennsylvania "Dutch" flag.

My paternal American ancestry goes back to the late 1700s. These immigrants had major impact on the growth of America.

I should make a big deal out of what this symbolic flag stands for.

www.crwflags.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I agree, but I wouldn't agree to banning it. That will just have the opposite effect and ingrain it even further into the Southern psyche. Just take it off the state buildings and educate people about its true past. Hopefully someday everyone comes around and the flag is no longer used.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I agree, but I wouldn't agree to banning it. That will just have the opposite effect and ingrain it even further into the Southern psyche. Just take it off the state buildings and educate people about its true past. Hopefully someday everyone comes around and the flag is no longer used.

The Nazi flag isn't banned either.

But, it doesn't officially fly on state government buildings.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm TOTALLY against flying the Confederate flag on state buildings.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm TOTALLY against flying the Confederate flag on state buildings.

😄 I kinda figured that.

I don't get why the South thinks they are so important. Maybe that's another thread.

Again, I'd say the hard working early immigrant German's are probably the most significant group in building this country.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

German's are probably the most significant group in building this country.

Not at all.

The most significant group that built The U.S, where the first British Colonists who built the original colonies and went into the unknown possibly putting their lives at risk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join