It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dylann Roof’s Cousin Claims Love Interest Chose Black Man Over Him

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Dylann Roof’s Cousin Claims Love Interest Chose Black Man Over Him

Scott Roof, who identified himself as Dylann Roof’s cousin, told me over the telephone that “Dylann was normal until he started listening to that white power music stuff.” He also claimed that “he kind of went over the edge when a girl he liked starting dating a black guy two years back.”

I saw this story while reading up on other topics over at The Intercept. I don't know how truthful this is, but if so, then it an interesting view into his personality. It also adds more to the reasoning behind his recent spiraling down into the racial abyss. Does anyone here at ATS know of any corroborating stories along these lines? Could it be that simple of an explanation? Could someone be so brainwashed by the racial "thuggery" to snap from being jilted by a woman?

I dunno. Personally, I don't see it....but, everyone has their own breaking points I guess.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

So in other words there were plenty of warning signs.

We just need to learn to recognize them.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth in this. Nothing like a stress to push someone over the edge.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
No wonder he was taking mixed medicines.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The kid had a screw loose, plain and simple. Every time I see a photo of someone who commits a despicable murder, the eyes of the suspect always seem strange.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

So in other words there were plenty of warning signs.

We just need to learn to recognize them.

If the claims in the story are true, this is another of those signs that were tossed aside....

Dalton Tyler, Roof’s roommate, told ABC News that Roof spoke of starting a civil war and that he advocated racial separatism. “He was big into segregation and other stuff. He said he wanted to start a civil war. He said he was going to do something like that and then kill himself,” Tyler said.

This reminds me of a rant thread here at ATS just a few days prior to this tragic event. The OP seemed to be advocating racial violence...at least that is how I interpreted their rant. I asked repeatedly for clarification on that fact...but never got a clear answer yes or no. I was concerned they were gong to be another one to snap..and I wanted to ask straight up. The thread was closed for staff review after a while. But I still wonder if the OP was at the edge, and making claims like this story is claiming Roof was making.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Ahhhh WOMEN...the mothers of all evil...lmfao just kidding ladies;ya the most beautiful beings the universe produced thus far...

On topic,yes I do believe there was a stressor. that send him over the edge.Be it this or something else.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Yeah something is wrong if you are so dedicated to starting a civil war and then mention that you would kill yourself...

what's the purpose of that? was this guy on big pharma meds? if so..... do we need to refocus the cause of his troubled mind?

Just asking..... not a fan of BIG Media, so I haven't dived deep into their spoonfed reports...

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth in this. Nothing like a stress to push someone over the edge.

Nothing like a woman to make you want to just kill everyone.
edit on 23-6-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
If this was the case, he may have stewed over it for 2 years and others could have used it as a point of why he should be upset and feel more racism. I think a series of things (possibly including this) caused him to decide to do what he did.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

So it may have been his unrequited love for a woman that seems to have finally brought down the Confederacy? What wrath hath a racist scorned.

edit on 23-6-2015 by Aleister because: edit, inaccurate implication

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

So what you're saying is that it was a woman who seems to have finally brought down the Confederacy? What wrath hath a racist scorned.

I'm saying no such thing. I'm asking if this is true, could it be one of the factors in his racially biased perception of the world.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Aleister

So what you're saying is that it was a woman who seems to have finally brought down the Confederacy? What wrath hath a racist scorned.

I'm saying no such thing. I'm asking if this is true, could it be one of the factors in his racially biased perception of the world.

Apologies, I didn't mean it literally. Just following back the guys own timeline, if this is true, and if it did set him on a path of anger, death, and destruction, then the unintended result of his actions seems to be ridding governmental entities of their honoring of the Confederacy as something to look up to.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Wouldn't that be the complete antithesis of the point of his actions? An ultimate irony that his desire to start a racial civil war succeeded in stifling the very movement he held so dear.
edit on 6/23/2015 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

That's what it looks like, a very interesting twist on this not-so-interesting twisted individual. What he accomplished outside of the misery and grief of the families and friends of his victims is the exact opposite of what he went in that church to do. BTW, I've changed my original comment to reflect that I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, something I didn't think of while typing that comment and again apologize for.

edit on 23-6-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Sounds a lot like Elliot Rodger who killed seven in Santa Barbara. Young with inferiority complex about women and race possibly his illness was supported by internet forums. But slap on budding white supremacist, the perfect "never let a good crisis go to waste". But again the underlying issue there will not be dealt with.
edit on 23-6-2015 by dreamingawake because: spelling

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I know my post won't be popular and I'll probably be flamed, banned, trashed and forced to work on Elizabeth Warrens presidential campaign as punishment, but. . . . . .

It's not a gun problem.
It's not a race problem.
It's not a confederate flag problem.

It's a mental health problem that (God strike me down) started under president Reagan when so many mental health facilities closed.

It's like closing hospitals will cure cancer because there is no place to treat cancer.

I'm a proponent of the free market.
I despise government oversight in everything. Government is weak and incompetent.

But in this case. . . . I will state for the record, that government has to step in and create facilities that can treat mental illnesses that run rampant throughout the country.

Flame away.

I will stand like a man and take my beatings . . . . .

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I know my post won't be popular and I'll probably be flamed, banned, trashed and forced to work on Elizabeth Warrens presidential campaign as punishment, but. . . . . .

It's not a gun problem.
It's not a race problem.
It's not a confederate flag problem.

It's a mental health problem that (God strike me down) started under president Reagan when so many mental health facilities closed.

It's like closing hospitals will cure cancer because there is no place to treat cancer.

I'm a proponent of the free market.
I despise government oversight in everything. Government is weak and incompetent.

But in this case. . . . I will state for the record, that government has to step in and create facilities that can treat mental illnesses that run rampant throughout the country.

Flame away.

I will stand like a man and take my beatings . . . . .

Well, to be honest, anyone that can do what this young man did cannot be right in the head. That said, I agree with you about the closing of the mental health facilities starting in the early 80's. But, could the story in the OP really be partially (or more) responsible for that final trigger to do this type of horrific event? Many folks think or mentally plan horrific things, but never actually bring them into reality. One of the previous posters hinted at the possibility that him stewing over this event for 2 years finally came to a head. The last piece in the puzzle was the decision to actually do it for real.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The problem is that we're treating behavioral problems the same way we treat medical problems.

If you have diabetes, you take insulin. Medicine.

If you're butthurt because you didn't get a trophy, you don't take medicine, you need behavioral treatment, not a god-damned pill.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

By behavioral treatment you mean electric shock therapy ?

<<   2 >>

join