It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag Ban: At last after 150 years in the path for the civil rights fight?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
This is kinda ironic,

the Democrat Party owns the Confederate flag. The Confederacy was Democrats. The ancestors, the heirs of the Confederacy were Democrats. The governors, the police chiefs, the segregationists were all Democrats. The Confederacy was Democrats, it was the Democrat Party.

Abraham Lincoln was the father of the Republican Party. It was the party of the North. Fritz Hollings, a Democrat governor, hoisted the Confederate flag in South Carolina. Everything to do with the Confederacy the Democrat Party owns lock, stock, and barrel. They gave it to us. Bill Clinton signed all kinds of proclamations. Hillary Clinton did proudly appear with caricatures and replicas of the Confederate flag, and people are finding these and they're posting them all over Twitter. It isn't gonna matter because nobody in the media where the low-information people go that confers authority is gonna give the Clintons any grief over it. Because it's not the target, it's not the reason.

Russ L.

Thanks was going to address that. They should change their now name since it originally represented the Dixiecrats just like the "confederate symbol" was originally made by a man who commented that the Stainless Banner being the white man's flag.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
Good grief people.... the flag has not been banned. I can go buy one right now if I so see fit.

The title of this thread is mis-leading at best and nothing more than baiting people in argument about something that hasn't happened.

Several stores have decided to no longer sell confederate flags.... that is their choice, same as you have the choice not to shop at those stores if you do not agree with their decision.

Quit saying the flag has been banned/is going to be banned. It hasn't and isn't. A store deciding to ban an item only affects that item in that particular store. Simply go to a different store and buy one. If the flag was truly banned by the government, then owning it could be a crime. It will never be banned by the federal government.

I have banned people from flying the Nazi flag on my property. Only affects people who come on my property. You can go to your house and fly the Nazi flag all day if that is what floats your boat.

Good grief!
Where can you buy one at? WalMart, Ebay, Amazon, etc*. A mom and pop store? A Country store? Maybe but since manufacturers, the largest ones who make flags, will quite making and selling them. People are saying banned for numerous reasons, one being now that it is on par with the Nazi flag. How many more retailers will follow suit now, especially conservative leaning ones that support current presidential hopefuls who want to #takedowntheflag and/or just want to be PC in the community? Let alone anyone having the symbol, will be looked as as racist. Yes, might as well be banned!

*Amazon-in the graphic and others - told by the Fed government to remove the flags - i.imgur.com... as well as an audio recording.
There ya'll have it, the Federal Government, not these retailers with a choice, is banning the flags from sale! Wonder if it's the same for the flag manufacturers.
edit on 24-6-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

This is the agenda....Don't like something? Just fabricate a link between that thing you don't like, and something awful...then let the social justice halfwits bleat, and bully, and lie, until political correctness drives our corrupt government to take action...

Don't like the southern cross? say it's a symbol of slavery, and link it to a few murders...BAM, government's moving to ban the goddamn thing..

Don't like cigarettes? claim that second-hand smoke will give people cancer, and BAM, the government comes in, and tells private business owners what to do in their own establishments...

This is like when radical feminists claimed that gamergate was nothing more than a hate mob, dedicated to attacking women, trans-people, homosexuals, and "people of color"...to anyone with an I.Q. over room temperature, it's pretty easy to see that the "social justice" halfwits care more about "race", and gender, than the people they were, and still are, trying to demonize...but hey, it just goes to show that if you make enough noise, shame enough people, and bully hard enough, you can get results...because these idiots are the ones who get the most air time, they're the only ones having their story told, and of course, the government listens, and last i heard, there was some super-special legislation in the works, from some brain-dead lady senator, that just highlights, boldly, how fat we are with redundant, feel-good laws..

Opening posts like the one on this thread really piss me off. I really wish this was in the pit, so that i could properly display my severe irritation with the level of outright ignorance, demonstrated in that post....

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: hotintexas

I guess pop culture can redefine anything, as far as the majority is concerned.

If a Kardsashian said it, it must be true.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

how about the ancestors of union soldiers in the north, that died trying to keep this one country instead of two?...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: The angel of light

Banning something because you're offended by it?

I'm so sorry for you, but no. I'm offended by it, too. But it's not going to turn me into a racist anytime soon, in fact I'd be so bold as to say it never will.

That flag is history. Some parts good, some bad.

Ban it. Ban it.

A bottle of beer represents bad things to a recovering alcoholic...let's ban alcohol. Oh, wait, we tried that...remember how well that worked out?

Either all speech is free, or none is. Just out of curiosity, what are we going to ban next, because it represents to some portion of the population something bad?

Ban words? Arrest people for speaking their minds?

This issue is so contrived as to be reduced to absurdity.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Well Dear Seagul,

Probably you feel this is absurd because the publicity has washed the brain of a lot of generations of consumers to think that the so old symbol of the rebellion, that in fact can be seen as an act of treason against the country, is really inoffensive and even children can play with it.

Possibly the question here is if the civil war really ended in 1864 or Not? were still alive the 'ideals' of the deffenders of the slavery after it? As a matter of fact it took practically until the XX century for the African Americans to obtain the right to vote, something that is absolutely embarrassing for a nation that feels that it is source from which liberty radiates to the rest of the world.

en.wikipedia.org...

All the Latin American countries gave full civil rights and the right to vote to their own African descendants by the second half of the XIX century, even Russia abolished the serfs at that time given full citizenship to all their fellow country people.

After all when President Abraham LIncoln, a Republican, was assassinated it was a Democratic and southern who succeeded him. Andrew Johnson was Democratic all his life, and he was born in North Carolina, so perhaps his arrival to power was not the consequence of a crazy action by a lonely assassin, but the result of a Confederate plot to take revenge of the President that defeated them, and in some way fool his legacy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now, talking about southern political plots, that can be seen also a veiled coup d'etats, there is a strange coincidence with John F Kennedy , another President extremely concerned with civil rights who was assassinated in a really hostile Southern state , very against his policies and was succeeded by a person of that state , Lyndon Johnson, that became in 1865 the first truly southern to be elected President after the civil war.

John Connally, who was the governor of Texas at the time of the Assassination and so principal responsible of the security of the President in Dallas even changed of political Party in the late of 1960s, saying he was in disagreement with the so liberal ideas that were controlling the Democratic platform. He moved from Conservative Democratic to be Republican and was even Secretary of Treasury of President Richard Nixon, the archrival of Kennedy, and was considered among the most possible successors of him, after the resignation of VicePresident Spiro Agnew in 1973, before the congress approved Gerald Ford for such position.

en.wikipedia.org...

Eisenhower of course does not count as southern or Texan since he was born from Northern parents , he just was born in the border in between Texas and Oklahoma and moved away back to Kansas and to Pennsylvania for the rest of his childhood after he became 3 years old.

Possibly the real reason for which the Confederate flag is still in use among many people in the south is not only naïve nostalgia after all, but precisely due to the fact that the Confederation only disappeared in papers, but in the background , or perhaps is better to say in the underground its spirit continue very alive at least one more century, in organizations like the Ku Klux Klan.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for your comment,

The Angel of Lightness

edit on 6/25/2015 by the angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The next time a black man kills a white man, I want all the MLK street signs taken down. That way there;s no rallying point for blacks against whites.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: the angel of light
a reply to: seagull

Well Dear Seagul,

Probably you feel this is absurd because the publicity has washed the brain of a lot of generations of consumers to think that the so old symbol of the rebellion, that in fact can be seen as an act of treason against the country, is really inoffensive and even children can play with it.

Possibly the question here is if the civil war really ended in 1864 or Not? were still alive the 'ideals' of the deffenders of the slavery after it? As a matter of fact it took practically until the XX century for the African Americans to obtain the right to vote, something that is absolutely embarrassing for a nation that feels that it is source from which liberty radiates to the rest of the world.

en.wikipedia.org...

All the Latin American countries gave full civil rights and the right to vote to their own African descendants by the second half of the XIX century, even Russia abolished the serfs at that time given full citizenship to all their fellow country people.

After all when President Abraham LIncoln, a Republican, was assassinated it was a Democratic and southern who succeeded him. Andrew Johnson was Democratic all his life, and he was born in North Carolina, so perhaps his arrival to power was not the consequence of a crazy action by a lonely assassin, but the result of a Confederate plot to take revenge of the President that defeated them, and in some way fool his legacy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now, talking about southern political plots, that can be seen also a veiled coup d'etats, there is a strange coincidence with John F Kennedy , another President extremely concerned with civil rights who was assassinated in a really hostile Southern state , very against his policies and was succeeded by a person of that state , Lyndon Johnson, that became in 1865 the first truly southern to be elected President after the civil war.

John Connally, who was the governor of Texas at the time of the Assassination and so principal responsible of the security of the President in Dallas even changed of political Party in the late of 1960s, saying he was in disagreement with the so liberal ideas that were controlling the Democratic platform. He moved from Conservative Democratic to be Republican and was even Secretary of Treasury of President Richard Nixon, the archrival of Kennedy, and was considered among the most possible successors of him, after the resignation of VicePresident Spiro Agnew in 1973, before the congress approved Gerald Ford for such position.

en.wikipedia.org...

Eisenhower of course does not count as southern or Texan since he was born from Northern parents , he just was born in the border in between Texas and Oklahoma and moved away back to Kansas and to Pennsylvania for the rest of his childhood after he became 3 years old.

Possibly the real reason for which the Confederate flag is still in use among many people in the south is not only naïve nostalgia after all, but precisely due to the fact that the Confederation only disappeared in papers, but in the background , or perhaps is better to say in the underground its spirit continue very alive at least one more century, in organizations like the Ku Klux Klan.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for your comment,

The Angel of Lightness

What you call an act of treason, others called standing up against a tyrannical government in the Spirit of the Declaration of Independence. To this very day, many southerners do NOT see their flag as a racist symbol, but rather a symbol of the day they stood against what at that time they perceived as tyranny.

You may interpret the times differently, but that does not mean you are right. Where is tolerance for what others see the southern flag as representing.

Also, you are WRONG about the great state of Texas. They voted for Kennedy.
edit on 25-6-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Dear queenofswords,

Excuse me, but there is something I cant grasp from your reply, what tyranny are we talking about here? The same people that point with their fingers Lincoln as a tyrant are the ones that had an immoral sense of liberty to have slaved workers or to support the ones were doing so? , a perverted kind of freedom to be able to continue owning and so oppressing the people as slaves?

We need to understand here that America is not immune to have committed mistakes in the past, we are not a perfect nation, that is a fundamentalist wrong assumption, we are humans as everybody else, and in that sense we can experience all the possibilities of the human condition from sin or perversion to virtues and moral values.

Let me tell you that Hitler also talked about tyranny of the Jews over the Arians in Germany and Lenin was all the time saying that he was acting against the tyranny of the exploiting class over the proletarians in Russia, as well as there is people right now claiming for liberty to continue trading weapons in a society that is terrified under the oppression of violence.

So not everybody that use the word liberty and tyranny is using it in a truly moral way, freedom is a concept that can be also distorted and smartly manipulated by extremists to pull millions in behind their ideas or interests.

Every Historian agree that in 1960 Texas voted for the Democratic ticket because Lyndon Johnson was on it, not because they liked Kennedy at all.

Now, I think certainly there was a lot of good people that sincerely loved Kennedy in Texas, but it is just enough to see the video I have already posted before to confirm there was also people very against him, possibly the majority, or at least half of the population.

There were extremists who treated with terrible violence UN Ambassador Al Stevenson in Dallas just three weeks before to the trip of Kennedy to see how grave was the level of hostility against the President in that region. Stevenson was already at that time twice former Democratic Nominee for the Presidence in 1952 and 1956, and a woman stroke him in the head with a pole at the end of his speech, that was many times interrupted by the boos of the people.

www.youtube.com...

www.dallasnews.com...

Al Stevenson asked Kennedy to cancel his visit to Dallas, he was sure something really bad might happen to him if he insisted to ago there, and he was unfortunately right.

www.youtube.com...

You are talking about to don't erase History, well this is also History, we can't forget that Kennedy was not well seen by many in Texas before his visit, there were posters with his face already pasted in the corners of Dallas saying Wanted, for Communist by the way.

Thanks for your comment,

The Angel of Lightness

edit on 6/25/2015 by the angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: the angel of light
a reply to: queenofswords

Dear queenofswords,

Excuse me, but there is something I cant grasp from your reply, what tyranny are we talking about here? an immoral sense of liberty to have slaved workers? , a perverted kind of freedom to be able to continue owning and so oppressing the people as slaves?

I'm going to assume you have not studied all the historical material related to this period in time. The slave issue was but one part of it. There is so much more than that. But, I am not going to give you a lengthy history lesson on your thread, but suffice it to say, it went much deeper than that. Yes, they did perceive it as a tyrannical intrusion, right or wrong in hindsight.

Texans loved Kennedy. I am sure there were some that did not, but overall, the State of Texas loved the man.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Well said. This is cultural Marxism at it's finest. You can no longer buy a confederate flag on Amazon, but you can buy the flag of the former soviet union and nazi memorabilia. I have an ancestor who did time in a confederate prison because he opposed slavery and yet fought under that battle flag, which was the flag of Robert E Lee, a good man.

There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race.

While this flag is being banned, slavery is still being practiced in Africa. Nigeria only outlawed slavery in 2003. Whites and blacks are being enslaved in Asia and the Middle East. Be careful what you lib.s wish for, because when they are done with you, you will share the fate of the "useful idiots" of the Bolshevik revolution, and watch all of your icons be torn down.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I have never owned a Stars and Bars flag. But ill be damned If im going to stand idly by while we suppress 1st amendment rights in such a ridiculous manner.

For a taste of the utterly ridiculous...i live in a nation with people who (on one hand) argue over whether we should ban the confederate flag, while on the other hand we have decided that burning the American flag is ok.

Freedom of speech is not subjective. Nor is it going to protect delicate sensibilities from being ruffled.

As it stands now, i am so sick of the other humans i share this planet with I just want to leave for a couple years vacation on any other rock but this one.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The flag isn't being banned by the government though.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yet.

Only a matter of time before some idiot congressman writes a bill to ban the flag, because he thinks that position is popular enough to get him re-elected. Anybody who votes against that will be branded an un-electable racist.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

And if that happens I will be right there next to you saying it shouldn't happen. I've spoken up in support for KKK rallies being protected free speech, I see this as no different. Heck, it's even LESS offensive to my sensibilities than defending a KKK rally.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I hope they listen to us if/when that time comes.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Well they listened to the people defending the KKK rallies, so it isn't much different. Don't worry, once everyone's emotions die down this issue will go away again, like it always does.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well they listened to the people defending the KKK rallies, so it isn't much different. Don't worry, once everyone's emotions die down this issue will go away again, like it always does.

No the next racist with a gun will do another terrorist attack and kill another African American government offical and it will most likely keep going like that until people realise there is a racial war attempting to be started against African Americans and other people of color.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: korath
The next time a black man kills a white man, I want all the MLK street signs taken down. That way there;s no rallying point for blacks against whites.

Seriously? You want all the MLK streets gone? It somehow offends you that MLK wanted equality thats why there is a street named after him?

I cant believe what I am seeing these days, god help us all.

People say stuff like this after a African American church is shot up and people murdered.
edit on 26-6-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join