It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flag Ban: At last after 150 years in the path for the civil rights fight?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

But you can probably buy commie flags at walmart.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

There in lies the rub.

The Battle Flag of Virgina was carried by the armed forces of the Confederate States of America.

Which makes it an American Battle Standard - or an American flag if you want to call it that.

It's just an American flag with a slightly less soiled history.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
It's not rocket science. Get a weak mind strung out on psychotropic medication, then give them a dose of Scopolamine and a set simple subliminal instructions to carry out your sinister black-ops mission, presto you've just engineered the Confederate false flag affair!

The mass shooting in Charleston has completed the demonization of the Confederate flag while opening up old wounds that divided this country, at the same time supplied a necessary distraction for Washington's frantic efforts to ramrod the TPA, TPP, and TiSA treaties through our corrupt U.S. Congress and Senate.

Ironically as the Confederate flag makes its final fall from grace, so too does the United States of America, with its ideals of liberty and self-determination.

edit on 24-6-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I have never seen one.

You can get leninade maybe.
Which is a delicious organe cream soda.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I like egg cream soda.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Great. So now we are going to act as if the Civil War never happened. Just take all the names down for everyone involved.

We should also, then, take down the Lincoln Memorial but, no, wait, he's one of the "good guys", which is a total crock. Whatever. I also guess we should take the Battle Born of the Nevada flag if we are going to change the Runnin' Rebels nickname.

Let's just wash the whole war out of the minds of everyone. Make sure no one knows a damned thing about what happened. Ignorance is strength, right? As it is I almost never meet anyone who knows a darned thing about the war anyway so it shouldn't be that hard for the propaganda machines to make us think what they need us to think.

Gonna have to change the name of that college football game(can't remember where as I don't follow college football) titled the Civil War. Can't even use those words together anymore. PC has officially gone amok, as if it hadn't already and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

I think I'll be buying some shirts with the Confederate Battle flag here soon. I'm not even close to being from the South but damned if I am going to let a bunch of PC weenies tell me what to think or what to wear.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
The whole thing is an interesting read - but pulled this quote for obvious reasons:

The Day the Flag Went Up

The dais in the ballroom of the Francis Marion was festooned with Confederate flags when Sen. John D. Long, who had sponsored resolutions that placed the flag over the House and Senate rostrums, warmed up the crowd: "Out of the dust and ashes of War with its attendant destruction and woe, came Reconstruction more insidious than war and equally evil in consequences, until the prostrate South staggered to her knees assisted by the original Ku Klux Klan and the Red Shirts who redeemed the South and restored her to her own."

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

What? The truth? Actual history? It's the only thing I'd find acceptable.

All those people that just want to feel good? This is why they want the flag removed from government buildings

Actual history

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I've seen skin heads with there entire utes sporting that Confederate flag as there paint work, in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

You can debate it all you want, but it won't change the fact that most people in the US and around the world, consider the confederate flag as a symbol of white people being somehow superior to other races.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
No problem with your opinion being your own however, I do not think that your opinion should dictate the history of our country. No matter what the image is, it is only a symbol and symbols are open to perception. Your perception should not affect mine or anyone else's. Leave the symptoms of the problem alone and go after the cause. The cause in this case is a disturbed boy/man who committed an atrocity. Trying to spin it to achieve another goal will only create other problems in return.

However, it seems that the Dunning–Kruger effect is strong here….

You seem like a nice person however, it is people like yourself that are a large part of the blame for the demise of a free form of government.

I hope you like what you get when you live under the new thought police!
edit on 23-6-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I've seen skin heads with there entire utes sporting that Confederate flag as there paint work, in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

You can debate it all you want, but it won't change the fact that most people in the US and around the world, consider the confederate flag as a symbol of white people being somehow superior to other races.

I am not even from the south and it has never occurred to me that a symbol that a group adopts causes anything. It is the recognition of the masses that causes the vilification of a symbol; so stop it and be an adult.

Perfect Thread To Compliment This

edit on 23-6-2015 by notmyrealname because: all thumbs today; LET''S BAN THUMBS!!!!

edit on 23-6-2015 by notmyrealname because: ditto

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Speaking of rioting and looting while I agree it won't happen so much with the questioned demographic looks like there may be protests coming up in S.C. Specifically. Also there's calling for retail who banned the flags protests of sorts. Looks like there could be some issues with the physical protests as the media is already bringing in that supremacists, etc., will be present.

As this quote is being heavily used right now against the flag, I want to address this:

As a people we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. —William T. Thompson (April 23, 1863), Daily Morning News

Source

Specifically in that quote Thompson was talking about the "The Stainless Banner" -1863–1865.

The battle flag (square "confederate flag")of the Army of Northern Virginia is in lighter blue and does not contain white. As is the Navy Jack which is lighter blue in color.

While similar the color share varies as well as the, in general, and lack of the white space.

Same with calls going out for other Southern State flags, of course including the Mississippi flag, but the others with the St. Andrew's Cross(the Cross of Burgundy(see here), for example even though historic to the state of Florida despite the Civil War), white background, etc.

I'm guessing none of that matters because it's the symbols as a whole?
edit on 23-6-2015 by dreamingawake because: spellcheck gone wrong

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Maybe next we can get to work on banning the Israeli flag and the Star of David. Talk about racist, they think they are God's chosen people.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

Maybe next we can get to work on banning the Israeli flag and the Star of David. Talk about racist, they think they are God's chosen people.

Yeah true. But, then again they got chicks like 'Alison Brie' claiming that they are Jews, which would kind of make them kind of superior imo, lol.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Actual history ...

" Abraham Lincoln In His Own Words "
source: www.lewrockwell.com...

On Slavery:

“… when they [slaveowners] remind us of their constitutional rights, I acknowledge them, not grudgingly but fully and fairly; and I would give them any legislation for the claiming of their fugitives.” ~ Lincoln, speaking in support of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850.

“…in nearly all the published speeches of him who now addresses you… I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that ‘I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.’ ”

“I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable.” ~ Lincoln, speaking in regards to slavery and in support of a proposed Thirteenth Amendment to explicitly guarantee slavery.

“Servile labor disappeared because it could not stand the competition of free labor; its profitability sealed [slavery’s] doom in the market economy.” ~ Ludwig von Mises, explaining why an institution that had been a universal feature of all societies throughout recorded history could finally be abolished by laissez-faire economic liberties, which unfortunately, could not prevent politicians from stealing the credit for it.

As his own words demonstrate, Lincoln was willing to accomodate slavery. As was shown in the taxation section above, it was only the tariff that he would never compromise on.

edit on 24-6-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: seasoul

You summed it up very poetically.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Erasing symbols of the past will not erase the past itself.

Believe it or not but the banning of the swastika flag did not erase anti semitism in Germany. There are still quite a few Germans and eastern Europeans with Nazi setiments. Banning the Confederate flag will not erase history and it is an infringement on the first Ammendment right to freedom of speech.

PC is getting out of control.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
a reply to: queenofswords

Seriously, as a long time resident of Vegas I am totally cool with us changing the name of the Rebels. They suck anyway.

I say we just call em the Tarkanians.......that would be awesome.

Naah!The Sharks would be more fitting!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The shooter wore black leather boots in that pic. I demand we go on a witchunt after leather now. I'm suddenly "offended" by leather -- even though I was fine with leather before the shooting, and said nothing about it. I'm gonna suddenly pretend to be passionate and "offended" by leather now.
edit on 24-6-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join