It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: All Comair Flights Grounded by Computer Glitch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A massive computer glitch forced US airline Comair to ground all its flights on Christmas day and may prevent the company from returning to normal operations until sometime next week. The pre-holiday snowstorm is being blamed for causing an overload and failure of the computer system that handles flight crew assignments. Comair is a regional subsidiary of Delta Airlines.

www.reuters.com
About 1,100 flights of regional U.S. air carrier Comair were grounded on Christmas Day by a computer glitch that threatens to keep the airline on a limited schedule for some days, a spokeswoman for its parent company said on Saturday.

Delta Air Lines Inc. spokeswoman Tracey Bowen said all Comair's flights were canceled because a winter storm earlier in the week that hit its Cincinnati operating base "caused a computer system that manages crew flight assignments to become inoperative."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In addition to Comair's weather-related computer problems, US Airways is struggling to reunite travelers with their luggage. The storms caused flight delays and staffing problems which resulted in a signifcant number of lost pieces of luggage. They were forced to cancel more than 300 flights over the holiday weekend due to the baggage handling problems.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Well, I guess terrorists shouldn't have to blow up planes, but blow up datacenters instead....

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Heads-up to TSA and DHS about the computer glitch that has shut down air traffic. It could be a manmade problem. We already know that N. Korea and Al-Quida are using people to conduct cyber-strikes on our economny and whatever else may suit their fancy. My point is, that this may be a back door chance for them to get what they need onboard a plane as far as weapons ae concerned. What strikes me funny is the large amount of luggage that is stockpiled awaiting for their rightfull owner(s) to pick up. They should pay particular attention to this situation due to the fact we are still at war, and we know from our past lessons they will take advantage of any oppertunity to strike us.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have to agree that this situation presents the potential for much more than frustrated passengers and lost luggage. I am always concerned with the double edged sword of media coverage. All it takes for a system failure to be exploited is to monitor the news coverage!
I saw the thousands of unclaimed bags piled high on CNN and my first thought was in line with "Flyin High"...how long will it take someone to realize that they have a ready made, multi-layered disaster waiting to utilize?
Repeated PA calls to report an unaccompanied bag due to "hightened security" seems ridiculous after viewing the mountains of bags! How difficult to place something unscreened in that pile...or anywhere else in all the confusion?
In this war on terrorism it's not enough to simply try to contain the enemy. We must be aggressive and proactive in trying to PREVENT situations that they can use against us.
When those situations do occur, I think our media and wire services should be more aware of how explicit they are in pointing our system failures out to anyone with a television!
I'm having trouble, at this point, believing that this is simply a storm generated glitch.

Fastwalker

top topics

join