It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified 'jellyfish lamb' accidentally hits French dinner plates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Linky to source

A lamb genetically modified to contain a jellyfish protein has entered the food chain in France, plunging Europe’s top agricultural research institute into crisis.

A judicial inquiry has been launched to find out how Rubis, a female lamb belonging to the French national institute for agricultural research (Inra) ended up on dinner plates.

Destined for animal research only, the lamb was sold to an abattoir in November 2014 along with unmodified sheep and then onto an unsuspecting customer, who has not been identified to date.

The sale and consumption of any genetically modified food products for humans is illegal in France.

Rubis was the fruit of Inra’s so-called “green sheep” programme launched in 2009 to produce lambs genetically modified to contain a green fluorescent protein originating from a jellyfish.

The proteins make the skin transparent and give off a greenish glow when exposed to certain ultraviolet light. Typically, they are used to monitor the activity of altered genes, and in this case to monitor transplants for heart disease.

I wonder how it tasted?

Not sure how this happened... Actually I didn't think something like this WOULD be possible!

Surely some sort of check/balance would have caught it before it ended up on a dinner plate?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I had jellyfish the other day.. We were at this Chinese shop and a bought some preserves bamboo shoots and saw the packet. I figured I'd give it a try.

It doesn't taste like anything and the texture is like eating plastic. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Sounds like they are experimenting on people with these animals, if one is modified it should be a no Brainerd to put an ear tag on it to keep it out of the food chain. ...funny how governments can keep tabs on every single person on earth but not a one of a kind sheep......

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

A judicial inquiry has been launched to find out how Rubis, a female lamb belonging to the French national institute for agricultural research (Inra) ended up on dinner plates.

Whats the big issue? Here in the US our politicians have made it illegal for states to make the consumers aware of what food contains GMO.

Maybe Marco Rubio was visiting them and released it since he thinks its such a good idea to mix the real thing with lab experiments and taking away state rights and informing consumers?

Interesting nonetheless

edit on 15630America/ChicagoTue, 23 Jun 2015 14:15:04 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If we only knew half what half of the stuff we put in our mouth contained, we would all quit eating. But, it is surprising this happened, especially in France. They have very strict laws governing GMO. I bet the person who ate it couldn't tell the difference.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

The proteins make the skin transparent and give off a greenish glow when exposed to certain ultraviolet light. Typically, they are used to monitor the activity of altered genes, and in this case to monitor transplants for heart disease.

The purchaser of said, now devoured lamb, didn't notice that it was translucent?

ETA: Must not have had his trusty Batman utility belt UV flashlight on.

edit on 23-6-2015 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

OOPSIE!

At least the French have a law prohibiting GMO on their dinner plates.
Here in the US, we get a few earthworm genes in our tomatoes.

edit on b000000302015-06-23T14:58:21-05:0002America/ChicagoTue, 23 Jun 2015 14:58:21 -0500200000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You think his off spring will say baa and have furry tentacles?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Furry tentacles, now there's a mental image I could have done without.

LOL

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

What we see here is a TTP/TTIP dry run.
I truly wish I was joking gspat.

Just wait,soon we will be in unlabeled GMO,growth hormone,illegal pesticide,endocrine disrupting heaven.
Tell your kids to learn how to grow their own food,stock up on diabietes/cancer/obesity/anti synthetic hormone drugs while they can.

The chemical war on human DNA is about to go nuclear.

I really do wish I was joking.

edit on 23/6/2015 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Haha, very disturbing and amusing story...

I just thought I would put this out there...

It was probably bought on special order, lol it is France :p Black Market ultra rare meat has got to be a delicacy

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
this was delibrate ,they know who ate it to.
this was a lab experiment and now the consumer is the lab rat ,and if he continues to live a healthy slave life it will be geneticaly modified meat in a shop near you

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
How can one not click on such a title!

I wonder if they used that jellyfish that lives forever.....I hear a Queen song.....

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well considering they have already tainted everyone's DNA, whats it gonna hurt? (facepalm) Who knows what else is in these things. Gov'ts already have been known to experiment on it's own citizens without their knowledge or consent. Our troops overseas are all ginea pigs for their chemical experiments- look at" gulf war syndrome", it causes all kinds
of aillments and symptoms that they can't quite pin down the cause of.We wouldn't have as many cancers and diseases if we didn't have these GMO's and other chemicals in our food chain. Had to get that out !

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: w8tn4it

A speculative question-
Are all these chemical toxins in our food/air/water just a result of foolish and greedy corporations and governments making mistakes,over and over through the decades?

Or are they the result of group of very rich organisations with the long term foresight,knowledge,desire and means to change the very nature of our DNA,for some other secretive and nefarious agenda?

Are we being let down by fools who pollute our necessary nutrition by accident for profit?
Or are we being slowly yet deliberatley changed as a species by truly evil beings who seek to control us through chemical warfare?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Try eating horse for 5 years thinking it was beef, like the whole of europe. Didn't notice the difference but uproar when you find out.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus
Some don't notice the difference when they eat dogs or even worse,long pig.
Does not make it OK though,at least not in my book.

Food should be correctly labeled in our so called developed civilisation.
To not do so is to hoodwink people into buying a product they would otherwise avoid.

Isn't that fair marketing?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

You think his off spring will say baa and have furry tentacles?

Ironic. Furry Tentacles is the name of my new band!

On topic; ew.

top topics

join