Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

VERIZON TURNS OVER NAMES OF DOWNLOADERS!!

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Verizon Turns Over Names in Piracy Case

By BRIAN BERGSTEIN
The Associated Press
Friday, June 6, 2003; 2:44 PM

NEW YORK - Verizon Communications Inc. reluctantly surrendered to the music industry on Thursday the names of four Internet subscribers suspected of illegally offering free song downloads, but vowed to keep fighting the law that forced its hand.

Verizon was compelled to give up the names Wednesday by the U.S. Court of Appeals for Washington, D.C., which rejected the telecom giant's request for a stay while it appeals a lower court decision won by the Recording Industry Association of America.

The RIAA has not decided what action to take against the four Verizon customers, said Matt Oppenheim, the group's senior vice president for business and legal affairs.

Though it released the names, New York-based Verizon, the nation's biggest phone company, plans to continue the appeal.

The provision in the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act that the recording industry invoked in seeking the names is unconstitutional and greatly exceeds traditional copyright and privacy laws, said Sarah Deutsch, Verizon's associate general counsel.

"We are committing to pursuing the case if necessary to the Supreme Court," she said Thursday. "The real harm here is to the consumer."

The recording industry has been unrelenting in fighting people and services who facilitate online song-sharing, calling the practice larceny.

In the Verizon case, the recording association relied on the DMCA law, which permits copyright holders to compel Internet providers to hand over the names of suspected pirates. All they need is a subpoena from a federal court clerk's office. A judge's signature is not even required.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I don't see how this should matter... Just because your account might be involved with the downloading of media files doesn't mean that you (the account holder's name) is personally responsible. It seems to me to be admissable in a court of law the person commiting the offense would have to be personally caught in the act.

Otherwise it brings up the same question parking tickets do... Just because your car might have gotton a parking ticket doesn't mean you, the owner, was responsible for parking your vehicle.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It would sure take a helluva lot of the fun out of the net if they killed piracy.

I reckon they're just letting us know that they're keeping an eye on us.

They don't want to look like they're giving away free stuff. They're just trying to frighten away the sheeple.

Quote:
"The recording industry has been unrelenting in fighting people and services who facilitate online song-sharing, calling the practice larceny."

That just ain't true. If they wanted our balls they coulda had them by now.
They make money out of us!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I don't suppose among all the biologists, doctors and physicists, we have a lawyer on this board who could give us some answers?

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
They are very interested in putting at least a couple of people in prison, just to make examples of them, in the hopes that it scares the rest of the file sharers off of Kazaa.

I think they are shooting themselves in the a$$ if they do that. They are underestimating the backlash from paying music customers when they start putting people in jail.

For my part, I advocate a complete and total boycott of all major record labels (most of the major labels only turn out $h!t anyway).

Vote with your entertainment dollar, and dont spend it with the labels that are killing individual freedom.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Bull ... they can't do that can they? I mean ... we DO have anti-privacy law's right? Oh well ... They COULD alway's bring down the price so we COULD aford to buy song's we don't like just to listen to the few we do like ... just an idea

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Thank God I dont use Verizon DSL anymore.

top topics

join