It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of Dixie.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
What cracks me up is that the stars and bars wasn't even the official Confederate flag- it was a battle flag. If I were to fly the actual flag no one would know WTF it was.

And everyone acts like the North was a bunch of humanitarian saints- newsflash: they engaged in slavery just as much as everyone else during that time period. They were just a little quicker to start phasing it out because their economy didn't depend on slave labor as much as the South.

Obvious to us now- slavery of another human being is a horrible, horrible thing. So why can't there be a distinction between Southern pride and racism? My family and I do Civil War reenactments- and we play both sides as needed. Yet if I were to display the Confederate flag I would be branded a racist as opposed to a historical preservationist? Dumb.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

How many Indians died under the goddamned United States flag

The one with 50 stars on it? Zero. That's how many; zero.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
America, by design, is constantly in flux.
We set out to be a "melting pot" and amputating this disgusting piece of our past is part of that transition.
The Founders of this Nation set everything up so that we can constantly progress into the future without being hindered by symbols or rules of the past.
I don't care how long it took for that disgraceful symbol to come down or what the reasons for it finally coming down are; the fact is it IS being amputated - like the sick and dead limb that it is.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace
a reply to: burdman30ott6

How many Indians died under the goddamned United States flag

"indians"

Amazing that people to this day still call the people that were here before us "indians"
Sir, this isn't India

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MrPlow

I know, right? This clown managed to disparage a deity and native Americans in only half a sentence..

MOD EDIT

Moderators Are People Too. (and they have opinions)
edit on 6/24/2015 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This flag has up until now been a relatively unimportant symbol open to a variety of viewpoints. If it is banned officially, it is likely to become a much more powerful underground symbol of resistance to oppression. Interest in the flag, and its production will go up! Once again, America's liberals are engaged in their customary ritual of shooting themselves in the foot!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

So what I'm to take away from this is that the idea of "Dixie" will die if you can't fly your silly, racist flag? What a stupidly weak characteristic... I would have thought the Southern idea of "Dixie" would transcend a symbol.

By the way, that song isn't by Joan Baez. It's by The Band, who were Canadian.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's a circular argument very similar to gun control..

The battle flag of Virginia is a recognized symbol of several things... For the folks that feel southern pride they defend the flag because there has been a steady assault on the culture by people that have never lived in the south.

As the most easily recognized symbol some folks feel if they can't stop the stupidity here, the entire southern culture is at-risk from the "enlightened " people of the North and the both coasts.

From hunting and fishing, to the foods we love and the music we make.

Least that's my opinion ...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: irishhaf

Good analysis. It IS a circular argument. I hadn't thought about it like that. Though circular reasoning is fallacious, so I hope you were agreeing with me.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: skeptikal1
This flag has up until now been a relatively unimportant symbol open to a variety of viewpoints. If it is banned officially, it is likely to become a much more powerful underground symbol of resistance to oppression. Interest in the flag, and its production will go up! Once again, America's liberals are engaged in their customary ritual of shooting themselves in the foot!

That may be part of their aim here. Agitate. Besides they have been talking about that flag down in SC for a good while. My brother-in-law who is black, hard left, told me all about it flying over the state house 7 years ago. So they have had it in their list. All they need was an event.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Hillary said they need to come down everywhere......so that would include confederate cemeteries ect. They want to outlaw the flag which will never pass the Supreme Court. Well maybe.

edit on 24-6-2015 by Logarock because: n

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Hillary said they need to come down everywhere......so that would include confederate cemeteries ect. They want to outlaw the flag which will never pass the SC.

The cemeteries!? They want to make the men who fought under the spirit of The Declaration of Independence into hated racists that should be forgotten rather than men of valor who stood up and said "no more". They are trying to erase their spirit and memory.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I don't ,and neither do MANY who are from the south, embrace YOUR homogenized emotional NEED to forget the harder parts of LIFE.Nor would I conform with ANOTHER P.C. bulls##T publicity stunt using reverse racism as it's IMPETUS. You GO BURY your OWN HEAD in the ground, don't try force the world to join you.
IF you DON'T like the way things look, STOP looking. DON'T go to the south if you don't like that battle flag..IT'S NOT YOUR CHOICE as an OUTSIDER to walk in and decide for others whatever happens because YOU or YOURS are butthurt.
Protest if you want but DON'T seek to connect ANTHING else and YOUR imagined SYMBOLISM from what those who OWN it TELL you it's for.
NOBOBY WANTS SLAVES, accept SOME poeple want compliant DRONES and THAT won't work either. SAME effort, different chains.

edit on 24-6-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Yea and knowing the hard libs want to do away with the constitution, and they really do, why in the h*ll should we care what they think about anything else.

edit on 24-6-2015 by Logarock because: n

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
In the not so distant Future!

I See ..

A Man Name Smith with a Jumpsuit Workman's Uniform on with Stenciled Numbers on his Left Upper Chest on his Uniform ,, Sitting on a Desk ,, Changing & Rewriting History ,,, Throwing in Ridiculous Laws , for a Controlled Police State Nation , in a Building called the Ministry Of Truth ..
edit on 42015ThursdayfAmerica/Chicago6175 by wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

And I don't think I am alone.

I am sure that there are others who don't have the same self-control I have. We see them on the news; we saw one on the news a week ago. He was insane, admittedly. But he was also angry... angry enough to shoot up a church of innocent victims. How many more angry young men are out there, feeling persecuted, feeling helpless and hopeless in the face of this new Northern Aggression?

Jesus Red...The ef-tard who murdered those SOUTHERN church goers was not responding to any "new Northern aggression"..He wanted to start a race war...and you assigning him credence, however so slight, as a defender of Southern Culture, or explaining his actions as a response to some "new Northern aggression" is offensive and wrong in a dozen different ways..to Northerners and Southerners and everyone in-between.

So General Lee's battle flag doesn't fly over the state house. If southern culture is so fragile as to rely upon the battle banner from a lost war, a banner it shares with the Hate groups in this country, then it is so fragile as to not require any imagined new Northern aggression to crumble upon itself. If a flag flying at the state house is all that remains of southern culture, then I weep for the south.

Ya know how General Lee himself felt about it?

"I think it wiser moreover not to keep open the sores of war,"

And no flags were flown at his funeral...

edit on 25-6-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Never mind...it's not worth getting disciplined over.
edit on 25-6-2015 by LeatherNLace because: self censoring

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Op, I respect your opinion and everything, but you've got this all wrong... I know for a fact, that the instant that flag is removed it will be just like in the final scene of the movie They Live, where the food guys destroy the satellite dish, and suddenly everyone can see the truth. Racists within a 1500mi radius of the source of the Racism Frequency will suddenly awaken spiritually and see the error of their ways,feeling a sudden urge to hug the nearest person.

Destroying that flag is like destroying the ring in Lord of the Ring. It's the only way to save mankind...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ill just place this Here...

Speaking Symbols and Flags and ALL..

^^^ More Scarier then a Dixie Flag ^^^

But Equal to a Nazi Flag

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
What cracks me up is that the stars and bars wasn't even the official Confederate flag- it was a battle flag. If I were to fly the actual flag no one would know WTF it was.

And everyone acts like the North was a bunch of humanitarian saints- newsflash: they engaged in slavery just as much as everyone else during that time period. They were just a little quicker to start phasing it out because their economy didn't depend on slave labor as much as the South.

Obvious to us now- slavery of another human being is a horrible, horrible thing. So why can't there be a distinction between Southern pride and racism? My family and I do Civil War reenactments- and we play both sides as needed. Yet if I were to display the Confederate flag I would be branded a racist as opposed to a historical preservationist? Dumb.

Exactly
and did you know that most of the flags that people buy
are made in CHINA.
What a joke.
Even OLD GLORY is made there.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join