It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of Dixie.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: supremecommander

How many Indians died under the goddamned United States flag that the media protects like it was made of freaking solid gold? Governments screw people over, often killing them or enslaving them while flying their little flags all over the world. Either get over it or scream for all flags to be burned and banished. You cannot have it both ways.

We're talking about slavery that ended 150 years ago and yet here we sit 2 weeks before our annual praise and worship fest of a flag that has come to represent wage slavery, tax slavery, and imperialism...

Perspective, it's what is sorely needed.

The same people who want the confederate flag gone, want the american flag gone. Mexico flag...fine. Islam symbols...fine. Black power symbols...fine. White, male, American, rich, catholic...not so much. These people who cry for equality are the most prejudice in the world and want to decide WHO gets equal rights and who doesn't. Hence the reason a liberal should never be the president. Look at Obama and gang. They decide who they want the enemy to be...and who does and doesn't get equality.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

It's funny this is a person to person issue but these morons say "Let's ban a flag " yeah thats gonna help. I really can't wait to see what these people come up with next good laughs are always appreciated.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Is the government of South Carolina liberal/progressive? The government of Mississippi? The North isn't making this happen, the South is making this happen.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is kerazy!

It is such a farce to think that banning a flag - that to half the people in the south simply represents a fierce independent spirit and not racial pride - will in any way quell that fierce independent spirit. If anything it will cause backlash.

Sure pull down from state and local governmental buildings, that's reasonable. But this couching it as anyway like the Nazi flag and excoriating it from society is overkill.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They're just removing it to keep Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson off their backs, that's all.
edit on 23-6-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

That's just it: It's NOT flying atop of any government building!

It's flying at a Confederate Solder War Memorial.

Earlier today a friend on FB directed me to a page that suggested replacing the Rebel Battle Jack with Big Red:

Big Red was the Battle Jack of the Confederate solders from the Citadel. It still there in modern times, except that the crescent has been reversed.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
They're just banning it to keep Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson off their backs, that's all.

And the Obama Administration.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

That's semantics though. It's on state grounds. It's all over governmental properties in the South. And those properties serve all citizens, half of which are intimidated or offended by the flag.

I agree though, where does it end? Are the war memorials next? I suppose there will be a movement to make those privately maintained, without any public monies.

link   
You all do realise that this was Trumps secret weapon against ISIS.

He was going to ban their flag!

Brilliant!

link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yes yes yes yes!!!

I think you hit a bulls eye!

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Are these state legislatures attempting to ban this flag, or remove it from state government property?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: eriktheawful

That's semantics though. It's on state grounds. It's all over governmental properties in the South. And those properties serve all citizens, half of which are intimidated or offended by the flag.

I agree though, where does it end? Are the war memorials next? I suppose there will be a movement to make those privately maintained, without any public monies.

Suggest you go back and look at the Pew Polls taken about that.

It was not HALF of the population by any means. Polls were taken due to the South Carolina Heritage bill that was passed back in 2000.

I'm shaking my head at all the assuming I keep seeing here. That half or more of the population is "offended" by that flag. People that do not even know where it's flying at. People insisting that their views on a symbol are the right ones and therefore must dictate what must be done.

All over a piece of cloth that 2 weeks ago did not raise an eyebrow.

The flag will most likely be taken down. In this modern day age of ours where PC rules and politicians seek to score points using every tragic event that they can, I would be surprised if it did remain up.

Besides: the South still hasn't been punished enough for our actions over 150 years go, has it? My own state took 80 years to recover from that war.

But it can't be taken down simply because the Haley ordered it so. Against the law. A bill will have to be introduced and passed by the state senate to take it down, as that was part of the law that was passed back in 2000.

But as I said before, I would not be surprised to see it taken down: Mob Rule wins every time.

Next will be the monument itself. After that: grave markers, as many of them do have that Battle Jack on them. Then onward to outlawing organizations such as the Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy, even though it's nothing more than a heritage group, the mob will decided it must be a hate group instead, and must be taken away also.

Because: knee jerk reactions are ALWAYS the right thing to do.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22

I've lived in the south and have seen black guys driving with confederate flag bumper stickers. I've asked and been told it's about southern pride. The whole flag thing is a northern liberal agenda, the people in the south think it's a heritage issue. Go ahead and ban it, the race problem on both sides, black and white racism (yes blacks can and are racist also) won't change at all.

Side note, personally I refuse to divide us any further by labels like African Americans, if your born here there's no Africa. Another feel good liberal tag, like banning flags.

Southern blacks feel the southern pride, too. Like you, I have seen this, as well. Their history is mingled with all southerners' history, the good and the bad. I have seen blacks in boots and cowboy hats with country music blaring from their pickups.

When a tragedy happens like the killings in Charleston, the so-called leaders and the loudest race-baiters HAVE to do something...anything....just make a statement of outrage. What better way than to set your sites on a symbol and what YOU think it means. All the screaming about "the flag" is just their way of venting and using what THEY THINK represents hate.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
You all do realise that this was Trumps secret weapon against ISIS.

He was going to ban their flag!

Brilliant!

Man oh man Beez. How your mind works.
Zoom...BANG
Center shot.

edit on 30America/ChicagoTue, 23 Jun 2015 11:17:24 -0500Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:17:24 -050015062015-06-23T11:17:24-05:001100000017 by TerryMcGuire because: sp

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: supremecommander

I believe what I said was that there was a "basis in truth" but that the entire manifest read as purely racist. No matter, you want proof? With apologies for any ott-topic diversions, I submit the following quotes are from a copy I saved to my HDD, since, as expected, it appears to have disappeared from the Internet (at least temporarily).

There were pages upon pages of these brutal black on White murders.
How could the news be blowing up the Trayvon Martin case while hundreds of these black on White murders got ignored?

That much is true, even if it is seen through a racist lens. There are numerous black-on-black, black-on-white,white-on-white, and white-on-black murders all, but the Trayvon Martin case became a media circus.

Black people view everything through a racial lense. Thats what racial awareness is, its viewing everything that happens through a racial lense. They are always thinking about the fact that they are black.

Certainly not applicable to everyone in any particular race, but overall apparently accurate in my own experience. I do not see this as an issue like Roof did, but rather an interesting curious fact. I know I don't think about what color my skin is during a normal day, but I sure know a lot of people who at least act like they do... and yes, they are black.

I have to say as well, that I know some black people who do not match this generalization. It is, after all, a generalization. As a gerneralization, it is true.

This is part of the reason they get offended so easily, and think that some thing are intended to be racist towards them, even when a White person wouldnt be thinking about race.

I don't know about the assumptive part of this statement, but it is clearly true that one must certainly watch what they say, regardless of intent, extremely carefully, especially around minorities. Your own reponses to me in different threads indicate this fact extremely clearly. One wrong word, one misinterpreted phrase, and one can today be stripped of property, position, employment...

Now White parents are forced to move to the suburbs to send their children to “good schools”.

Not just white people, of course... this is an issue of social class rather than race. But combined with the fact that many of the inner cities are at least portrayed in the media as being predominately black, it is possible to see the frame of reference at least.

So even though this is a misrepresentation of the entire truth and the causes behind the phenomenon, the statement cannot be deemed false.

Do we really think that that White kid will be able to go one day without being picked on for being White, or called a “white boy”?

It is true that in schools, children regularly call eath other names, often based on race. It is also true that this phenomenon increases when the majority of the school is monoracial.

I think it is getting better with time... at least I hope so.

If a scientist publishes a paper on the differences between the races in Western Europe or Americans, he can expect to lose his job.

Absolutely true.

But when we lern about the numerous, almost countless wonderful things Whites have done, it is never pointed out that these people were White. Yet when we learn about anything important done by a black person in history, it is always pointed out repeatedly that they were black.

True. History books tend to specifically point out race where that race was a minority, but not when the race is a majority.

Many White people feel as though they dont have a unique culture.

True for some, not all, Caucasians.

I will follow up on this one with the fact that those who do feel they have a unique culture are quite often under attack because of the fact they value their culture. Witness this thread and the few dozen others just like it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is not intended to attempt to justify any of the actions this manifesto foreshadowed. It is instead, intended to make a point: racism is more often than not rooted in the perception of factual events. The difference between Roof's interpretation of these observable facts and that of the average non-violent individual is the difference between violent racism and peaceful coexistence. Roof saw things we all see, facts we all know, and made conclusions we would vehemently disagree with. A huge amount of that misrepresentation comes from ignorance, as i pointed out in the comment about the suburbs. The fact may be true, but it is incomplete and inconsistent with the truth behind why these facts exist. That ignorance then brings about false conclusions that beget other false conclusions, ad infinitum. At some point the car derails completely; the derailment does not mean it was never on track.

The issue is where the thought process spins out of reality, not the fact that it did. To understand that issue and attempt to improve things, one must understand the entire thought process. I am responding to yo in an attempt to illustrate that fact, and only for that reason.

I am also going to state something that should be plainly obvious, but quite probably is not: I am completely disgusted by the whole of this manifest; I in no way shape or form support Darynn Roof's actions or conclusions, but rather condemn both; I instead aupport the goals of the late, great Martin Luther King, Jr., who saw a racially blind society where all could exist peacefully together without undue prejudice and without any reference to race.

Some will disagree with those statements, but calling a cat a frog doen't make it go "ribbit."

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Meh, give it up dude, its a lost cause. Along with many others. Let it RIP.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

That's something a lot of people gloss over.

Many of the people who fought in the Civil War were fighting for their homes and their pride, not slaves or anything else. In those days, a person had more loyalty to their state than they did the Federal Government in a lot of places.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

THIS is what I'm talking about when I preach about perspective. You, my friend, have it and so much of society is sorely lacking it.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
In those days, a person had more loyalty to their state than they did the Federal Government in a lot of places.

...and you just opened the door to one of the main problems in the world today. Those of us who place our loyalty and our pride in our state are generally the same group the tend to be called "domestic terrorists" and "racists" by the loudly cackling hens scattered around the nation. It is a damned bizarre disconnect from reality. My state doesn't go off to foreign lands to kill dark skinned people in the name of corporate masters... the country claiming rule over my state does, but somehow those who don't support that country blindly are the racists.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think there are many Americans who are tired of and want the endless military action by our government through the world to be toned down or ended. That doesn't mean they do not believe in America. Can we get it needless warring banned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join