It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did "White" Slavery End?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I had read a book years ago that touched on the subject and mentioned the population of Australia as a penal colony .I like to stop at old grave yards and look for dates and names to try a put a picture of what may have been going on back then .The US war of independence actually had a big effect on the history of the part of Canada I live in . Its all interesting but I hardly think there is a one defining history of the truth about it . One history book mentioned that the Indians didnt make good slaves as they were too lazy and could easily run away to the woods .

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

I ment institutional, lawful slavery. Slavery where if you ran away the "POLICE" would return you to your owner. The kind of slavery you can be born into. Corruption where it is illegal but TPTB turn a blind eye , doesn't count either.

The sex trade doesn't count because it's not sanctioned by governments.

Prison (tho I completely agree where your going) doesn't count either.

I know the humanities history of slavery. I just can't find when the change happened where you could keep all races as slaves to where you could only keep Africans as slaves.

Still going on in many countries.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

...to where you could only keep Africans as slaves.

It was never a case of "only keeping African as slaves"...

The scumbags who "purchased" people bought whoever they could "afford".
Colour did play a part in "pricing".

"Supply & demand"...

*inverted commas out of disgust of the ideology*

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

"Supply & demand"...

Actually, this was the case in the Americas. The Catholic Church made the decision to only allow the enslavement of Africans as "just slavery" sometime in the 1700s. There were several different proclamations on the issue of slavery by several different Popes in the 1700s, and each one narrowed down who it was "just" to keep enslaved.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Learn something new everyday...

Not always as disheartening as that though.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

"Supply & demand"...

Actually, this was the case in the Americas. The Catholic Church made the decision to only allow the enslavement of Africans as "just slavery" sometime in the 1700s. There were several different proclamations on the issue of slavery by several different Popes in the 1700s, and each one narrowed down who it was "just" to keep enslaved.

Yes, but the OP was asking when white slavery ended, and it never has. Just because some areas of the world made it official that only people of certain ethnicities could be kept as slaves doesn't necessarily mean that the practice of keeping white slaves was stopped worldwide.

Mostly, Charlie is absolutely correct - wherever you find people in power, they tend to make a habit of slavery across history. They rarely enslave their own kind, but the way they define "own kind" changes from place to place. For example, in Africa it's not an ethnic barrier so much as a tribal one, and in Middle Eastern countries, it tends to be defined by gender and religion. So, while it was legal here, it was for a time defined by the Catholic Church as only those of African descent.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

"Supply & demand"...

Yes, but the OP was asking when white slavery ended, and it never has. Just because some areas of the world made it official that only people of certain ethnicities could be kept as slaves doesn't necessarily mean that the practice of keeping white slaves was stopped worldwide.

Mostly, Charlie is absolutely correct - wherever you find people in power, they tend to make a habit of slavery across history. They rarely enslave their own kind, but the way they define "own kind" changes from place to place. For example, in Africa it's not an ethnic barrier so much as a tribal one, and in Middle Eastern countries, it tends to be defined by gender and religion. So, while it was legal here, it was for a time defined by the Catholic Church as only those of African descent.

I think you're missing the context for the OP, though that's not your fault since he didn't say it in the OP. He & I had a pretty long debate about race in one of his other threads called "African American Names!!". This topic came up in one post, so I mentioned he should check into those Popes I mentioned above. However, I said I wasn't going to look into which Pope made that specific ruling for some reason (I don't remember the reason I gave & don't want to go check). Then this thread was made, so I answered roughly the same way in it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Learn something new everyday...

Not always as disheartening as that though.

I'm actually working on a project right now that lists the different social classes from many countries around the world. As in, who qualified as "1st Class citizens", "2nd Class citizens", "3rd Class citizens", etc. I think that once people see that kind of information all in one place, they'll be able to get a better idea of modern racism & its roots.

Unfortunately, it's taking way more time that I expected. I'm focusing on the last 500 years, but it's becoming a bit overwhelming. I'm starting to think it's not worth the time, but my stubborn curiosity won't let me stop.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Slaves were originally taken from social groups not strong enough to stop it happening.
The English word "slave" is derived from "Slav", because the Slavic peoples used to be popular targets in the early middle ages. Then they developed into reasonably strong nations, amd the traders had to look elsewhere.

I assumed at first that you were talking about "white slavery". This was the nickname applied in the early twentieth century to the alleged practice of kidnapping European girls and taking them to brothels in, say, South America. The protagonist in Evelyn Waugh's novel "Decline and Fall" is convicted on that charge (he was only a scapegoat).

edit on 23-6-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Sounds like it'll be a fantastic read, in an educational sense.

I can imagine that it's a difficult history to decipher and stick with though...

It's a battle between two human instincts, one to forget, and one of knowledge.

See how it goes pal.

edit on 23-6-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

im not to sure what book you were reading.. but slavery of every man woman and child has never stopped. regardless of race.

you should read a Peoples History of the Untied States

the end of the civil war only served to makes slaves of everyone to the united states fiat money machine.

every wonder why to need to fill out a w2 to work? you local business is NOT federal? why are you forced to lie and say you are liable for taxes when clearly 95% of peoples jobs are not federal or subjected to that income tax.

its all about control.

we need to stop fighting each other and focus on what really matters.

why Americans cant put food on the table or send their kids to college.

why a corporation has more rights equal to a natural human.

why we are all slaves to a rat race chasing fiat money and charged interest.

no one will ever get ahead with debt based money,

fixed elections and a media which serves to distract & program its viewers minds into

a predetermined point of view..

eh.. its the same ol thing..

have fun on your journey..

peace.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I can imagine that it's a difficult history to decipher and stick with though...

See how it goes pal.

Thanks. And yeah, I'm emotionally torn over it too. Part of me wants to move on & burn that portion of history. The other part wants to make sure everyone knows the truth. That way they'll know why extreme poverty still exists in certain demographics, even in wealthy countries. It also ends up explaining where stereotypes, social norms, & "politically incorrect" phrases come from.

As en example, I grew up in the deep American South. I've heard & said the word "gipped" probably hundreds of times when describing "being ripped off". It was only in the last few years that I learned it was a slur of the Roma/Romani people, who are slurred as "gypsies". In fact, I didn't even know they disliked that word either, since I always thought the word "gypsy" was a cool, exotic, or "sexy" term.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Asian, Black and White and other racial groups endure slavery to this very day, Do not be so naive to think slavery doesn't exist in this day and age.
edit on 23-6-2015 by Gestas because: Who is #1 on the UN human rights offenders list?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

See how it goes pal.

Thanks. And yeah, I'm emotionally torn over it too. Part of me wants to move on & burn that portion of history. The other part wants to make sure everyone knows the truth. That way they'll know why extreme poverty still exists in certain demographics, even in wealthy countries. It also ends up explaining where stereotypes, social norms, & "politically incorrect" phrases come from.

As en example, I grew up in the deep American South. I've heard & said the word "gipped" probably hundreds of times when describing "being ripped off". It was only in the last few years that I learned it was a slur of the Roma/Romani people, who are slurred as "gypsies". In fact, I didn't even know they disliked that word either, since I always thought the word "gypsy" was a cool, exotic, or "sexy" term.

Nice info on "gypped"! I had no idea about that! Neat find.

I don't think it's an issue of people not knowing. I think it's humanities inability to truely empathize with something you (nor any of your loved ones) have personally experienced. Even stuff that is still happening today doesn't truely effect us. We comment on how horrible it is. Then forget about it then return to our normal daily rat race. So is it any suprise really we discount history?

That's not saying we arnt still dealing with the ramifications of slavery/segregation.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gestas
Asian, Black and White and other racial groups endure slavery to this very day, Do not be so naive to think slavery doesn't exist in this day and age.

22 years as a slave

The last time the Burmese slave made the same request, he was beaten almost to death. But after being gone eight years and forced to work on a boat in faraway Indonesia, Myint Naing was willing to risk everything to see his mother again.

So he threw himself on the ground and begged for freedom. Instead, the captain vowed to kill him for trying to jump ship, and chained him for three days without food or water.

He was afraid he would disappear. And that his mother would have no idea where to look.

Myint is one of more than 800 current and former slaves rescued or repatriated after a year-long Associated Press investigation into pervasive labor abuses in Southeast Asia's fishing industry.

Thailand's booming seafood business alone runs on an estimated 200,000 migrant workers, many of them forced onto boats after being tricked, kidnapped or sold. It's a brutal trade that has operated for decades, with companies relying on slaves to supply fish to the United States, Europe and Japan — on dinner tables and in cat food bowls.
news.yahoo.com...

Pls klik for vid and more info.
I was about to make a thread on the above, but came across this thread, the fact is as some pointed out slavery including that of whites never truly ended,yes among the Christian west it was discouraged and frowned upon but even then it continued in some form, it was not unusual for white kids in America to be captured ,tanned and sold as Blacks ,white immigrants were especially susceptible to be tricked into slavery, Slavery of whites in other parts of the world was in no way frowned upon and looked upon as good business, this can be seen even today in the sex underworld where eastern European females are being trafficked in eastern nations.

Published on May 30, 2015
Eminent historian Nell Irvin Painter~ Reads from her Epic Book THE HISTORY OF WHITE PEOPLE:

Telling perhaps the most important forgotten story in American history, she guides us through more than two thousand years of Western civilization, illuminating not only the invention of race but also the frequent praise of “whiteness” for economic, scientific, and political ends. A story filled with towering historical figures, The History of White People closes a huge gap in literature that has long focused on the non-white and forcefully reminds us that the concept of “race” is an all-too-human invention whose meaning, importance, and reality have changed as it has been driven by a long and rich history of events.

"Who are white people and where did they come from? Elementary questions with elusive, contradictory, and complicated answers set historian Painter's inquiry into motion. From notions of whiteness in Greek literature to the changing nature of white identity in direct response to Malcolm X and his black power successors, Painter's wide-ranging response is a who's who of racial thinkers and a synoptic guide to their work. Her commodious history of an idea accommodates Caesar; Saint Patrick, history's most famous British slave of the early medieval period; Madame de Staël; and Emerson, the philosopher king of American white race theory. Painter (Sojourner Truth) reviews the diverse cast in their intellectual milieus, linking them to one another across time and language barriers. Conceptions of beauty (ideals of white beauty [became] firmly embedded in the science of race), social science research, and persistent North/South stereotypes prove relevant to defining whiteness. What we can see, the author observes, depends heavily on what our culture has trained us to look for. For the variable, changing, and often capricious definition of whiteness, Painter offers a kaleidoscopic lens.

This vid is an hr long but well worth the viewing saw this a few month back.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Jeez anybody who works for a living is a slave. You might have it a lot better, but a slave nonetheless. And if that isn't enough people are slaves to all of their electronic devices.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join