It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS #52: Stupid in California, or, How Excess and Environmentalists Caused The Drought.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

originally posted by: Char-Lee

You must have drove through with your eyes closed.

Why does everyone thing one corner of Ca is ALL of the state?

The person you were responding to travelled the I-5, which is the least scenic route one could take. When giving people advice, who plan on visiting CA, I first tell them to NOT take that route!
They think they have seen the whole state, and get a very bleak idea of it.

Yes but where does 5 go after sacramento ??? In the first place the whole sacramento valley is rich river bottom soil not desert. After going through the beautiful oaks and hitting Chico on to Redding up the mountains they go past large lakes and rivers and forests all the way to Oregon...so someone purposefully described only one part of their journey!

i myself live in CA in the Redwoods. I have lived in most parts of the state and have family in the rest.

Here is one branch of the Smith River by us...desert!

Along the Smith

Wild & Scenic - California Rivers....silly people....desert ha!
www.totalescape.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: Char-Lee

I disagree. I find no beauty in rocks as they do not photosynthesi and give back to the environment. Lawn does this. I am not opposed to other low water use plants, except cactus. I do not like those.

In an area that needs more water I think it is the most appropriate the stones on this planet do their part too, and as far as catus there is no more beautiful blooms, my Mother has a cactus garden.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Still don't see the beauty, but glad others do!

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
You could examine another reason..... illegal immigration. It's estimated that there are 2,550,000 such in the state. In my opinion, a number very short from accurate, as I believe its very likely double that, but we'll go with estimated 2,550,000 number. Consumption of 55 gallons per person use per day will give you a water usage of 140,250,000 gallons....... that's per day. But as I say, I believe the numbers fail to show the real number, which I believe is very likely double estimates. That could be roughly as much as 280,000,000 gallons. Per day. Something to consider.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
1. The everglades had been developed.
Then the environmentalists came along. Now the place is infested with snakes.

2. The fracking guys are wasting All the water.

3. They make windmills that will draw the water out of the air. Use those.
edit on 24-6-2015 by chrisss because: idk.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: chrisss

the delta smelt, he should have touched on that more...gotta save them...more smelt die every year when they try to count them, and who eats them....mostly a fish that isn't even native to calif... (though the trout eat a few of them as well)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
But but, almonds are nice

The rich people right to play in green golf course its so out of touch with reality, sometimes is hard for me to believe there are really such dumb people, if they are so dumb how do they get rich in the first place? the mysteries of life

They are not dumb. They are crazy

Crazy people do things that most sane people would not normally do, (that is, those with a conscience) because they are crazy. They can process things compartmentally that most cannot. They take on debt that you or I would shudder at, where cost benefit would tell us to do otherwise. Some crave positions of power ,(the smart crazies) because it can offer to some extent a buffer from the consequences, as long as they can socialize the loses and make the rest of us believe that this is our burden. They are sociopathic. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

And the final nail in our coffin; We, for they most part, believe them and act accordingly because we don't know better or act better. Some even emulate them.

Go to college, get a degree in "business" (sociopathy). How can you screw over others for personal gain, justify, and live with yourself, 101.

As another poster wrote before, "America isn't a nation, it's a business."
YAY

I guess business is good,

Or is it...
edit on 25-6-2015 by Flux8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Sa reply to: Ultralight

How are you saying California is not an arid climate? I live in the sierras east of Modesto. Yea there are plenty of cedars and pines to make it look green(because their roots go deep). But everything else is dry dusty topsoil and granite.

Go west and you hit the foothills and the valley which is mostly open grassland and oak. The only green you see is the crops that use a crazy amount of water to keep it that way.

Go over to The Santa Cruz mountains and then it gets more water. Only because there is a mountain range right next to the ocean that forces the clouds to release its rain pretty much right back into the ocean. Leaving the rest of the valley in a rain shadow until the sierras(which is mostly rock). The redwood forests do us no good because it doesn't snow there, no accumulation of snow to hold us into the summer.

If you care to notice most of the plants here are adapted to an arid climate. And any other ones are mostly introduced by immigration. The only fish here were trout and salmon. So you can't base California on what you see at the current moment. If you were to take away human activity it would quickly revert back to oak trees, brush, and grass.

Saying that because of 10 percent of California has the redwood forests doesn't mean the other 90% gets the same amount of water.

Research the history of your state before claiming such things. And what use does the water do if the water just runs back into the ocean with no major reservoirs to hold it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
But but, almonds are nice

The rich people right to play in green golf course its so out of touch with reality, sometimes is hard for me to believe there are really such dumb people, if they are so dumb how do they get rich in the first place? the mysteries of life

Every rich family in California don't even know where their wealth comes from. And if they did, its long and forgotten by now.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

I am native to this state and likely, older than you. My research is my experiences on over 5 decades of life traveling
all of CA. I have been to Eureka, Placerville, Truckee, Bishop, Mammoth, Tahoe, Twin Lakes, Calif. CITY, Arvin, Bakersfield, Santa Nella, Tracey, Sacramento, Lancaster, San Fernando Valley, All beach cities from north and south, Santee, Palm Springs, Corona, Temecula, and every area in between.

I stand by my words.

47.5 % of the area smack dab between L.A. and S.F. is moderate and less than moderate in drought. Familiar with the Tri counties of central coastal CA? Big chunk of the state.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

This report, like pretty much all your reports, is top quality and absolutely awesome. Hopefully you can make a good living doing this so I can keep up with all the BS going on in the world!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

I just drove from Sonora to Stockton to San Francisco. And every bit of it looked like a desert to me.

Went to redding down to Bodega bay to Santa Cruz and the same thing last week. Napa, Bakersfield, Merced, Manteca, Los banos, Sacramento, walnut grove, rio Linda and Sonoma. I seen them all within a month and I travel the state probably more than you do. So what does your age have to do with anything.

Like I said the only reason why the areas you mentioned has water is because of the reservoirs from the foothills and most of them are down to the rivers again. I live 5 minutes from melones and the original bridge over the river is completely out of the water.

Stand by your opinion all you want, but do your research first to understand that California is/was in a wet period of time.

California is only green because we from the sierras are pumping millions of gallons of water into the valley and coastal areas. Give it another 3-4 years of this and you will understand.

Saying California is not an arid climate is just stupidity. All 58 counties in the state are under severe drought conditions. Look it up.

edit on 26-6-2015 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the chuckle, though I am sure that was not your intent. Age is very relevant to the drought history in this state. You can't speak of averages without bringing in the past, which I have lived and you clearly have not.

Where were you in 1969? I was watching the river that runs from south to north push cars off bridges, from one end to the other. Where were you when it SNOWED on Pismo Beach, at sea level, and literally you could not drive from north to south because of record snowfall. Beach areas here don't keep snow plows. That was 12-20-1990.

It snowed from Big Sur to Malibu in 1988. That was the year my city had a record low of 4 degrees.

We have had several drought years statewide and what makes this drought year(s) more dire is money and media, and alarmists who research. There is drought resistant this, and "green" that.

Climate changes. Nature knows what she is doing in Ca, leave her be. You can research her all you want. I don't need to because I respect her infinite wisdom.

We can revisit this thread one year from now and have a different conversation.

Your driving the state as much as you proudly declared above is contributing to the very thing you rant about. Even the most fuel efficient vehicle require tires, which are not environmentally friendly, unless you consider them to be spark arrestors...

Nuff said.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

You're stating the weather of California within 50 years. I'm stating the weather from 10,000 years.

So the dinosaurs never existed because you weren't alive to see them, thus don't exist? That's what you're pretty much saying.

As I've stated before and won't say again, California is inside of a rainy period! Whether you would like to believe it or not. And one day California will encounter an atmospheric river like it did in the 1800's that will bring heavy rains for a month straight. Inundating the whole Central Valley with water. Yet people would say that it could never happen but has.

If you would like me to go out of my way to post links of actual historic research of California i can. Maybe that can convince you. Until then trying to debate with someone who thinks their own personal beliefs on observation is better than that of actual research is futile.

Just don't complain to me when the irrigation canals stop flowing and you see what California really is.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
solution 1. Move to where the water is

solution 2. Stop breeding, one female, one child--might as well start now
before things get worse--in a hundred years it will be law anyway.

*no need to star this post, this truth is never popular

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

perhaps because you don't need to be intelligent to be rich, just greedy?

$0.02

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Actually the majority of water use is taken for bottling, Like Neastle And Energy industries like Oil and Natural gas use the most water.

A huge portion of Californias fresh water has been tainted by Oil and Fracking industries.

So i seriously doubt some rich people are the cause of the drain. It's actually pretty unlikely rich people are the cause of it but in all honesty. Screw California. You make great strawberries but beyond that, I personally hope the doubt teaches some Americans and its industries about proper water conservation as well as the fragility of the enviroment.

MIllions And Billions of gallons of waste water is a crap ton more than these Rich people.

Ironically, Some of those rich people, Indeed a majority of them profit from the destruction of the enviroment. But many of those rich people sucking back the remaining water reserves are the ones who are to blame for the reason why water reserves are shrinking faster in the first place than it should.

Farmers are complaining about the Fracking and oil industry stealing water for Food. Corperations are stealing all the water.
edit on am60000003015Sat, 27 Jun 2015 11:50:14 -0500 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

You must have drove through with your eyes closed.

Why does everyone thing one corner of Ca is ALL of the state?

The person you were responding to travelled the I-5, which is the least scenic route one could take. When giving people advice, who plan on visiting CA, I first tell them to NOT take that route!
They think they have seen the whole state, and get a very bleak idea of it.

Yes but where does 5 go after sacramento ??? In the first place the whole sacramento valley is rich river bottom soil not desert. After going through the beautiful oaks and hitting Chico on to Redding up the mountains they go past large lakes and rivers and forests all the way to Oregon...so someone purposefully described only one part of their journey!

i myself live in CA in the Redwoods. I have lived in most parts of the state and have family in the rest.

Here is one branch of the Smith River by us...desert!

Along the Smith

Wild & Scenic - California Rivers....silly people....desert ha!
www.totalescape.com...

Only Cascadia has the Water which is Northern California. The Desert WILL eat through the forest there tho like how the Gobi Desert is devouring the forest line surrounding it each year.

It's gunna happen. British Columbia will be the last place effected by it but for now we have some of the cleanest best tasting fresh water in the world here. Sadly, Energy companies want to taint our water and landscape the same way they have destroyed Californias reserves.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

Only Cascadia has the Water which is Northern California. The Desert WILL eat through the forest there tho like how the Gobi Desert is devouring the forest line surrounding it each year.

It's gunna happen. British Columbia will be the last place effected by it but for now we have some of the cleanest best tasting fresh water in the world here. Sadly, Energy companies want to taint our water and landscape the same way they have destroyed Californias reserves.

My point that the state is not one big desert stands, all we need is some snow again in the very imposing mountain ranges of CA.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I am native to this state and likely, older than you. My research is my experiences on over 5 decades of life traveling
all of CA. I have been to Eureka, Placerville, Truckee, Bishop, Mammoth, Tahoe, Twin Lakes, Calif. CITY, Arvin, Bakersfield, Santa Nella, Tracey, Sacramento, Lancaster, San Fernando Valley, All beach cities from north and south, Santee, Palm Springs, Corona, Temecula, and every area in between.

I stand by my words.

47.5 % of the area smack dab between L.A. and S.F. is moderate and less than moderate in drought. Familiar with the Tri counties of central coastal CA? Big chunk of the state.

I am 58 and I have been to all of those places many times and more, been involved in big ag in the central valley and agree with you completely. Nearly 50% of the state is Forest and mountains.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join